+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lawyer fee

seekinghelp

May 16, 2012
Hi! I'm looking for an immigration lawyer in Toronto to sponsor my husband.
So far I have been quoted different fees in each end of the spectrum. One lawyer quoted me $500 to undertake all my application duties while the other quoted $2000. I am really confused if the first lawyer is only trying to rip me in the beginning and will then stall my case by asking me for more money after.
Can anyone with experience and knowledge provide any advise?

Thank you. :)

dreamcatcher

Apr 6, 2012
seekinghelp said:
So far I have been quoted different fees in each end of the spectrum. One lawyer quoted me $500 to undertake all my application duties while the other quoted $2000. I am really confused if the first lawyer is only trying to rip me in the beginning and will then stall my case by asking me for more money after.

Don't bother. Save your money. Really, it's not that difficult to do it yourself. Me and my sponsor helped each other to fill out all the forms, it's called teamwork :). Everything you need is there and included in the PDF files you download from the CIC website so me personally I don't think there is any need to use an Immigration Lawyer. Anything I wasn't too sure about I emailed my visa office and they gave me the answers. Hope that helps.

kiwinijjar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 17th 2012
AOR Received.
March 9th 2012
File Transfer...
March 28th 2012
Med's Done....
December 2011
Passport Req..
April 19th 2012 (1.5 years travel history) In process as of June 16th. Dm on June 28th :)
if you however do decide to use a lawyer. the fee is $1040 for spousal and PR applications. And the laywer fee is usually $500 to $1000 maximum. Mine in total cost $1540.

abad.vs

Star Member
Mar 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 24, 2011
File Transfer...
June 30, 2011
Interview........
April 16, 2012
Passport Req..
August 28, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 17, 2012 :D :D
If your case is staright then do not use Lawyer. If you think of any complexcity then only hire someone.
In my case, I only had travel History for 3 and half years so i think of having lawyer and wasted our $1500 as Lawyer has done nothing but *** stupid mistakes.
In short, I have wasted my $1499 as our lawyer has done nothing. All the information I have filled it and which he has entered, they were incorrect.

As our friend dreamcatcher has mentioned that It's very straightforward, also there are expierenced people on this Forum who will help you out if you get stuck anywhere. You only need to post your question and many will answer you.

I would recommend you to not choose any Lawyer, rest is up to you.

All the very best :) :)

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Definitely do it yourself if your case is strong and straightforward.

The only time you may need a lawyer is if a) you have a complicated case, or b) you are appealing a refusal.

Other than those two scenarios, it's really easy to do by yourself.

For me, I slowly started gathering documents in August - September 2011...over time I kept on collecting evidence...the forms were easy enough to complete (with the help of some really great folks on this forum). I organized everything in about a week...then spent another month revising and perfecting...

If you involve a lawyer, unless he/she is the best (with a track record), you'll end up more confused...

This forum IS a lawyer...better...as all the folks here share a common goal and it's FREE!

FS

abad.vs

Star Member
Mar 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 24, 2011
File Transfer...
June 30, 2011
Interview........
April 16, 2012
Passport Req..
August 28, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 17, 2012 :D :D
Added to this, Most of the advices / helps are Supportive. No one will give you unconstructive advice.

Fencesitter said:
Definitely do it yourself if your case is strong and straightforward.

The only time you may need a lawyer is if a) you have a complicated case, or b) you are appealing a refusal.

Other than those two scenarios, it's really easy to do by yourself.

For me, I slowly started gathering documents in August - September 2011...over time I kept on collecting evidence...the forms were easy enough to complete (with the help of some really great folks on this forum). I organized everything in about a week...then spent another month revising and perfecting...

If you involve a lawyer, unless he/she is the best (with a track record), you'll end up more confused...

This forum IS a lawyer...better...as all the folks here share a common goal and it's FREE!

FS

Marty11

Star Member
Jan 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
Doc's Request.
20-06-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2011
File Transfer...
22-11-2011
Med's Request
26-09-2012
Med's Done....
17-07-2011, 13-10-2012
Interview........
20-06-2012
Passport Req..
20-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2012
LANDED..........
05-12-2012
Definetely do not hire a lawyer if your case is straighforward. I was thinking of hiring a lawyer/consultant when I started to compile the information and filling the forms, but when I did a shoparound, they were askinganywhere between 5000-5000$. I said what ????? After all, I know how to read. So I downloaded everything from the CIC site, read at least three times and my wife and myself filled up everything. I did not know about this forum at that time, so we did everything by ourselves, with no help. So, yes, it can be done. You have to pay attention to all the necessary details, but that saves you money big time. I will only use a lawyer if my wife, for whatever reason, fails the interview, in which case I will appeal. Then I will need a lawyer, altghough I think I could do it by myself, but just to be on the safe side. For appeal cases I was quoted between 6000-7000$. But hey, nothing matters when you want to be with your loved one asap.
Having said that, any questions you encounter, ask here. When I had questions, we finally answered them by ourselves, but here is much more quickly, FREE, and many supportive and knowleadgable poeple.

Good luck!

Tony3

Dec 16, 2011
seekinghelp said:

Like the others have indicated please do not use a lwayer, unless you are in a very complex situation. I believe you are not. The sponsorship and PR paperwork will allow you to learn a lot while completing yourself with your spouse. I really feel it is imperative that you do all the paperwork yourself, and there is so much help for free in this forum if you need assistance.

My wife and I did all the paperwok ourselves and cross checked several times, before mailing. CIC has my wife's passport now for processing. I know you can do it !!!!

All the best

seekinghelp

May 16, 2012
Hey all!
Thank you so much for your advise.

Unfortunately my case isn't so straightforward because i have a travel history and don't even have employment here in Canada. Furthermore I visit my husband very very often which entails a lot of traveling in and out of Canada.

I am just afraid this might be a little complicated. Even though we are planning to settle down in Canada after he gets his residency, I just need a lawyer to add more weight to my application.

If anyone here has hired a lawyer in Toronto or GTA, can they please share how much do lawyers quote here?

Thanks again. Good luck to everyone!

Marty11

Star Member
Jan 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
Doc's Request.
20-06-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2011
File Transfer...
22-11-2011
Med's Request
26-09-2012
Med's Done....
17-07-2011, 13-10-2012
Interview........
20-06-2012
Passport Req..
20-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2012
LANDED..........
05-12-2012
I had two quotes from lawyers in Toronto, none below 5000$. One was at 6000$. And my case is straightforward. After I explained my case to the first lawyer (6000$), he said that "Why you would do a brain surgery if it is not necessary?" Between the lines I read that I do not need his services. At least he was honest with me. He could just have taken my money! That lawyer ws refered to me by a friend, so maybe that is why he told me that.