+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Latest Travel Restrictions 10/July/2020 : To finalize your permanent residence application but not settle here yet

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
DId you contact CBSA or IRCC ?
Hello

I am in the same situation as all of you. CoPR expires August 8. I live in Western Europe. Was planning a soft landing this month. Rainchecked it to next month. I've booked return tickets. But with the latest developments and the July 10 update I will probably cancel my softlanding plans and I've already raised an "unable to travel" webform.

I called CBSA and IRCC on July 7.

CBSA explicitely mentioned that soft landings are not permitted at this time. They told me to ask a CoPR extension.

I didn't mention softlanding plans to IRCC but asked them to confirm if they would give me an extension. They refused to answer and told me to send a webform ezplaining my circumstances.

FJK1982

Apr 14, 2020
Guys, i would like all of you to contact your airlines and ask them and post it here, the reason behind this is to understand the situation about the airlines understnading on this issue, i also understand that airlines is not letting the PRV members onboard if the visa has been issued after 18th March, so it is at least good to ask becasue for
Hello

I am in the same situation as all of you. CoPR expires August 8. I live in Western Europe. Was planning a soft landing this month. Rainchecked it to next month. I've booked return tickets. But with the latest developments and the July 10 update I will probably cancel my softlanding plans and I've already raised an "unable to travel" webform.

I called CBSA and IRCC on July 7.

CBSA explicitely mentioned that soft landings are not permitted at this time. They told me to ask a CoPR extension.

I didn't mention softlanding plans to IRCC but asked them to confirm if they would give me an extension. They refused to answer and told me to send a webform ezplaining my circumstances.
I will be flying in August, as wrote to IRCC no clear answer from them, so better to fly. Extension might take sometime and you never know after extension how much time you wil be getting to travel again...

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Guys, i would like all of you to contact your airlines and ask them and post it here, the reason behind this is to understand the situation about the airlines understnading on this issue, i also understand that airlines is not letting the PRV members onboard if the visa has been issued after 18th March, so it is at least good to ask becasue for

I will be flying in August, as wrote to IRCC no clear answer from them, so better to fly. Extension might take sometime and you never know after extension how much time you wil be getting to travel again...
The problem I have now with the softlanding is that it takes them approx. 130 days to issue PR Cards. That means you won't be able to return to Canada for AT LEAST 130 days (because you need the PR Card to re-enter the country). I just can't be stuck here waiting for a PR Card and not knowing when it will arrive. I would rather land and settle immediately.

FJK1982

Apr 14, 2020
The problem I have now with the softlanding is that it takes them approx. 130 days to issue PR Cards. That means you won't be able to return to Canada for AT LEAST 130 days (because you need the PR Card to re-enter the country). I just can't be stuck here waiting for a PR Card and not knowing when it will arrive. I would rather land and settle immediately.
Understand, see every individual situation is different, so you are the best person to assess your situation - others can give advice only, but remember one thing you should not panic even your CoPR expires, man there are 100\s of people sitting with expired CoPR so just have faith, if you planning not to travel before your expiry - fine enough, raise websorm and let them know once you are ready.

Frankly speaking, i am in dillema as well since 10th July after this news, but i am trying to avoid the extension as i have heard that someitmes IRCC is requesting additional documents - one of the guy comes up with POF evidence for extension, which is weird. i am not sure how true is that but if that is true, its a pain.

Good luck!

Reactions: zombiebombay

FJK1982

Apr 14, 2020
Hi, we are in the similar situation and we haven't booked our tickets yet. Waiting for the air travel restrictions to be lifted around July end and then decide. Yes, the latest tweets and updates by IRCC imply that soft landings are discouraged. The entry might not be a problem as long as we don't tell we want to mere finalize the application and move back, however my concern is the immigration while coming back. Waiting to see if anyone knows and replies on this forum about the same.
Hi, Just now had a chat with a family, returned back from toronto to Dubai yesterday, they said no issue at all, no one asked anything or raised any issue, but they travelled on 29th June which is way ahead before the implementation of that new rule that people should avoid temporary landing's, but yeah at least family said it was real smooth without any hiccups. This is the latest news i received just now so thought to share.

hasandhu

Aug 30, 2019
Hi, we are in the similar situation and we haven't booked our tickets yet. Waiting for the air travel restrictions to be lifted around July end and then decide. Yes, the latest tweets and updates by IRCC imply that soft landings are discouraged. The entry might not be a problem as long as we don't tell we want to mere finalize the application and move back, however my concern is the immigration while coming back. Waiting to see if anyone knows and replies on this forum about the same.
Thanks a lot Amy.

Please keep us posted as well on your progress. We all are in same boat.

dsamerwyn

Mar 4, 2019
Can someone tell me when was this initiated? As I didn't see this clause before. I have my ticket booked for this Saturday and was hoping to return back by August.
I am from Pakistan. My COPR expires on September 20th.
Hi, did you manage to land ? If do what what exactly did they ask at immigration ?

GKCanada1

Jul 15, 2020
Hi, did you manage to land ? If do what what exactly did they ask at immigration ?
Hey, no, my flight was cancelled. Will be getting a new ticket. But reading the comments and listening to others, I am going to fly and tell them I plan to settle. I don't think they will say no to us if we have COPR. But if your COPR has time, like few months, don't travel before 31st July. That's my take.

Reactions: FJK1982

FJK1982

Apr 14, 2020
Guys, today one more guy travelled, and he informed that no one ask anything - they just ask about the list, CoPR thats it, nothing about permanent or soft landing, so i believe guys should move who want to go for temporarily, i will be going on 2nd august for 4 weeks. if i will get any updates in these days i will keep you all posted.

butterflyins

Star Member
Nov 17, 2019
Guys, today one more guy travelled, and he informed that no one ask anything - they just ask about the list, CoPR thats it, nothing about permanent or soft landing, so i believe guys should move who want to go for temporarily, i will be going on 2nd august for 4 weeks. if i will get any updates in these days i will keep you all posted.
Was this person traveling from the US? Did they not even bother about the date of issue?

Vivek1717

Jun 24, 2020
Thank you for creating this thread.
My copr is expiring on 29th July (I am in US), but given that the soft landing is not accepted, I am considering the risk of the copr not extended/ running in to the same soft landing issue month(s) from now