+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Latest Ontario Tech Draw

TDog39

Oct 18, 2019
Based on https://www.cicnews.com/2021/02/ontario-holds-first-tech-draw-of-2021-0217182.html#gs.tq2045 the scores invited are between 453 and 467.
In my EE profile, my score is 469 and my primary job is set to 2174 which is one of the tech jobs.
What am I missing??
Also, does it take time for them to notify me and how do they send the invites anyways?

EDIT:
I went over https://www.canadavisa.com/ontario-express-entry-human-capital-priorities-stream.html#gs.tq2mfp and the only thing that's confusing is this point: "Intend to reside in Ontario, by providing documentation to demonstrate ties to Ontario; ".
How do I do that BEFORE getting invited? And where do I even do that?

Last edited:

TDog39

Oct 18, 2019
This draw was between 453 and 467 so you will not receive NOI from OINP since your score is higher than 467, check below page for more details:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/2021-ontario-immigrant-nominee-program-updates

You just to need to select "Ontario" or "All provinces and territories" to be considered by OINP to receive NOI.
Thanks for replying.

Yes I selected “All provinces and territories”.

My question is; why would they pick lower scores if higher scores are available? Is there any criteria they pick based on?

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks for replying.

Yes I selected “All provinces and territories”.

My question is; why would they pick lower scores if higher scores are available? Is there any criteria they pick based on?
OINP normally takes the latest IRCC draw cut off, deduct one point from it and invites down from there. The last all programs draw cutoff was 468 in December of last year so they took 467 and sent invites from this score and ended up at 453 since this was a rather large draw.

They are still considering 468 as the latest cut off even though there are so many high scoring profiles currently in the pool, not sure what is the reason since last year they invited from 500 score onward when IRCC was continuing with CEC only draws.

TDog39

Oct 18, 2019
OINP normally takes the latest IRCC draw cut off, deduct one point from it and invites down from there. The last all programs draw cutoff was 468 in December of last year so they took 467 and sent invites from this score and ended up at 453 since this was a rather large draw.

They are still considering 468 as the latest cut off even though there are so many high scoring profiles currently in the pool, not sure what is the reason since last year they invited from 500 score onward when IRCC was continuing with CEC only draws.
So last year they were inviting 500 and higher when IRCC was inviting CEC only?

EDIT: I see that they were in fact inviting the EE cut off - 1. https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-express-entry-notifications-interest.
They were mostly 470s and below.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
So last year they were inviting 500 and higher when IRCC was inviting CEC only?

EDIT: I see that they were in fact inviting the EE cut off - 1. https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-express-entry-notifications-interest.
They were mostly 470s and below.
Check the draw that happened on June 3rd 2020, they invited candidates with a score of 500 and below since they also did a couple of CEC only draws and switched back to FSW but the IRCC cutoff was very low for CEC so they went with 500 as the maximum score.

TDog39

Oct 18, 2019
Check the draw that happened on June 3rd 2020, they invited candidates with a score of 500 and below since they also did a couple of CEC only draws and switched back to FSW but the IRCC cutoff was very low for CEC so they went with 500 as the maximum score.
So am I supposed to lower my score to increase my chances? It sounds counter intuitive.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
So am I supposed to lower my score to increase my chances? It sounds counter intuitive.
This draw is over so there is nothing you can do. Next tech draw will most likely happen in May/June, let's hope general draws are resumed by then.

Another thing you can do is give another IELTS test to lower your score by 3-6 points and hope for an invite from OINP in their next draw or they can do the opposite and invite high scoring candidates, anything can happen. Getting direct ITA at 469 will be very difficult.

Last edited:

TDog39

Oct 18, 2019
This draw is over so there is nothing you can do. Next tech draw will most likely happen in May/June, let's hope general draws are resumed by then.

Another thing you can do is give another IELTS test to lower your score by 3-6 points and hope for an invite from OINP in their next draw or they can do the opposite and invite high scoring candidates, anything can happen. Getting direct ITA at 469 will be very difficult.
Why do you think getting an ITA at 469 will be difficult? After inviting 27000 people, the next cut off for the general draw will either be high in the 470s or extremely low. If it's low then my 469 should be enough and if it's high then hopefully Ontario's draw could help unless they stop drawing tech workers or change the whole system all together.
I am pretty angry because I could easily lowered my score if I had known that they reward people with less score than people that have actually put effort into getting higher score. It feels unfair but I understand that it's probably like that so Ontario wouldn't be competing directly with the EE's general score.