+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

last name for canada pr

Vjakhar

Star Member
Jul 19, 2019
respected members of this froum
i have a query regarding last name. my wife have single name in all documents starting from birth certificate and upto passport. she have same single name in marriage certificate and passport with no last name.
now i have some questions:
1. while creating ee profile cic website ask for last name and as it is mandatory. so according to cic website i write her given name in last name column and left the coloum of first or given name as blank.
is ithis right way of filling form ??
2. now is it mandatory to have last name in canada. some one told that last name is mandatory and some faces problems even after pr while taking health insurance etc. is this right or just a rumor???
3. what should i do weather i have to add last name after my spouse name or is it ok with single name?

some one from canada and any experienced person who faces this situation please clarify the situation

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
Hey
Go through this thread for people who are already in Canada with single name.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/to-all-new-pr-holders-with-no-last-name-advice-required.578757/page-2

I also have only first name and I am putting it in last name section for EE & PR process. I have decided not to add last name before immigration as it doesn't seem to create any problem as of now. Some people might say it should do it now but it's definitely not easy to change all the documents in India. So I am just avoiding the hassle for the time being. And again, as mentioned by someone already in Canada, it is not causing any trouble to them.

Vjakhar

Star Member
Jul 19, 2019
Hey
Go through this thread for people who are already in Canada with single name.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/to-all-new-pr-holders-with-no-last-name-advice-required.578757/page-2

I also have only first name and I am putting it in last name section for EE & PR process. I have decided not to add last name before immigration as it doesn't seem to create any problem as of now. Some people might say it should do it now but it's definitely not easy to change all the documents in India. So I am just avoiding the hassle for the time being. And again, as mentioned by someone already in Canada, it is not causing any trouble to them.
thanks very much. i am also confused about addition of last name because some of my known also suggest additionn of last name is beneficial to avoid futur eproblem after pr in canada

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
If you have started the process already and you expect your Post ITA stage soon, I would suggest don't get into changing name right now. However if you have like atleast six months to get ITA, may be you can think of it. But again, it might not be necessary at all

Reactions: Vjakhar

Vjakhar

Star Member
Jul 19, 2019
thanks very much. i am also confused about addition of last name because some of my known also suggest additionn of last name is beneficial to avoid futur eproblem after pr in canada
is last name is mandatory for taking benefit of canadian services after pr?

Vjakhar

Star Member
Jul 19, 2019
If you have started the process already and you expect your Post ITA stage soon, I would suggest don't get into changing name right now. However if you have like atleast six months to get ITA, may be you can think of it. But again, it might not be necessary at all
i am in process expecting ita in coming draw. so i am confused.
is this can be done afte pr in canada?

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
i am in process expecting ita in coming draw. so i am confused.
is this can be done afte pr in canada?
Don't worry about this. It won't much of a problem. I also just got my ITA in last draw. And I have no plans of adding surname any soon.

Rest of get to know of something actually serious, do let me know also.

But in last one year, I have not heard of any problem because of this. Just minor things with private banks. So yeah, adding surname is better but no compulsion. If it would have been that necessary, CIC would not have allowed us to to create account or apply with single name.

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
is last name is mandatory for taking benefit of canadian services after pr?
I have never given it a thought. But if they are giving us PR card then they surely can't have problems in giving us benefits.

But your question scared me a bit. Have you heard of anything?

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I have never given it a thought. But if they are giving us PR card then they surely can't have problems in giving us benefits.

But your question scared me a bit. Have you heard of anything?
no issues, plenty of people don't (I'd never heard of it before this forum so some people might just be surprised at the no last name fact)

Reactions: NMS@

NMS@

Apr 5, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
O7-10-19
AOR Received.
07-10-19
no issues, plenty of people don't (I'd never heard of it before this forum so some people might just be surprised at the no last name fact)
Good to have some seniors advise.
Thankyou so much :)

Vjakhar

Star Member
Jul 19, 2019
ACTUALLY SOME KNOWN FROM CANADA ARE CONTINUOUSLY ASKING ME TO ADD LAST TO AVOID FUTURE PROBLEMS AND I HAVE NO TIMES SO THAT I AM VERY MUCH CONFUSED WHAT SHOULD BE DONE. THEY ALL SAY IT IS NOT MANDATORY BUT YOU FACE MANY TROUBLES IN CANADA BECAUSE EVERYWHERE LAST NAME IS REQUIRED AS IT IS PRIMARY IDENTIFIER