Waived
Passport Req..
13-09-2011 / Passport sent: 14-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2011
LANDED..........
17-APRIL-2012
Good day,

I would just like to ask those who have already landed if it is true that Immigration thoroughly inspects laptops and gadgets for pirated programs upon arrival. We attended a seminer wherein we were advised to delete all MP3s, Movies and games downloaded from servers such as limewire and frostwire to avoid immigration problems. In fact, we were told to wipe out all gadgets including laptops, psps and ps3s since there is a special immigration lane for those who will bring in such items.

Thanks!

Vitomanolo16

Star Member
Jun 27, 2011
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2005
Doc's Request.
28-02-2005
Nomination.....
Not applicable
AOR Received.
21-09-2011
IELTS Request
28-02-2005
Med's Request
06-07-2011
Med's Done....
30-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-09-2011 / Passport sent: 14-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2011
LANDED..........
17-APRIL-2012
Qorax,Kanamen,Seniors,anyone,

Need your inputs. It took me 10 years to gather all my favorite downloaded movies from the net..... I don't want to wipeout my laptop just because Canada Immigration will or will not allow me to have these files on my laptop.

Thanks!

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vitomanolo16 said:
Good day,
I would just like to ask those who have already landed if it is true that Immigration thoroughly inspects laptops and gadgets for pirated programs upon arrival. We attended a seminer wherein we were advised to delete all MP3s, Movies and games downloaded from servers such as limewire and frostwire to avoid immigration problems. In fact, we were told to wipe out all gadgets including laptops, psps and ps3s since there is a special immigration lane for those who will bring in such items.
Thanks!
There is no special line for travellers coming with electronics. Although it is not recommended to carry pirated softwares but who has the time to go into it and who cares for downloaded movies and music.

sttn

Dec 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
If you conceal drugs inside your laptop, you may have problems.. other than that if CBSA officers are going to check each and every MP3 files Games or other software in computers.. You may need to look at 5-7 days to clear your customs from the air port. :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vitomanolo16 said:

Need your inputs. It took me 10 years to gather all my favorite downloaded movies from the net..... I don't want to wipeout my laptop just because Canada Immigration will or will not allow me to have these files on my laptop.

Thanks!
You are not meant to bring pirated software into Canada (and many other things).
Your laptop can be checked and if you have pirated software you will not enjoy the process.

Look at it this way, I assume that you took the trouble to follow the rules to get this far, ask yourself this:
What do you want to seen as when you first arrive in Canada?
It won't look good if you break the rules before you gain entry to Canada :)

It is rare for the check to happen, but if you are the one being checked, percentages don't really matter.

FYI Be aware if you are entering the USA with your laptop, they can take it from you and keep it for a very long time (even without probable cause).

prestige

Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ HK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
soon
What will happen if found downloaded pirated stuffs? Denied entry?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prestige said:
What will happen if found downloaded pirated stuffs? Denied entry?
Unlikely.

In Canada, the Customs Act permits the CBSA to detain goods that are prohibited, controlled, or regulated by any Act of Parliament.
So confiscation would be the first option, of course the fact that the movies were on a laptop may mean that the laptop is seized.
Also be aware it is not just pirated movies, any other fake items can be seized.
Of course getting caught with this sort of stuff would mean that you will be subjected to a lot more scrutiny.

giogenre

Aug 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vitomanolo16 said:

Thanks!
Just say goodbye to those movies and MP3s of yours if it's not legal... "mabuting mag-ingat kaysa magsisi..."

It's a new country now... a new life... a new torrent server... ha ha ha! ;D Congrats for your scheduled Landing! 8)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
giogenre said:
Just say goodbye to those movies and MP3s of yours if it's not legal... "mabuting mag-ingat kaysa magsisi..."

It's a new country now... a new life... a new torrent server... ha ha ha! ;D Congrats for your scheduled Landing! 8)

LOL, it has to be easier than trying to connect to the Internet from a prison cell :)