+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language requirement and verification of status question

sonniu

Oct 21, 2013
Hi All,

I am trying to fill out the verification of status form. I am not 100% sure regarding the requirements and was hoping someone could confirm my understanding based on the guide. All the questions, for example, immigration document date of issue – is this for when I first came to Canada or when I received my permanent residency? Another question is in Document Checklist - it is required to attach photocopies of two identification documents. Can they be my passport and Canadian driver’s licence? Or does it need to be something else?

Also,

For Citizenship language proof, do I need to write IELTS again? I got my Bachelors in Engineering from a Canadian University. Would it be enough to send a copy of my degree?

Thanks,

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
sonniu said:
Hi All,

I am trying to fill out the verification of status form. I am not 100% sure regarding the requirements and was hoping someone could confirm my understanding based on the guide. All the questions, for example, immigration document date of issue – is this for when I first came to Canada or when I received my permanent residency? Another question is in Document Checklist - it is required to attach photocopies of two identification documents. Can they be my passport and Canadian driver’s licence? Or does it need to be something else?

Also,

For Citizenship language proof, do I need to write IELTS again? I got my Bachelors in Engineering from a Canadian University. Would it be enough to send a copy of my degree?

Thanks,
The bachelors degree should be acceptable as you have done the course in Canada ( you don't need to get a letter stating that the language of instruction is english because the education was done formally in Canada) and i suppose it is 4 years, right? You can send the copy of the degree and if you have marksheets etc too, send the copies of that as well. Also, you can get the transcript from the university and attach it as well.
I don't see any issues in terms of language proof as you have done formal education in Canada. However at the end the officer assessing your file will determine if the degree is acceptable as a language proof or not.

This is what the instruction guide says:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.
Note: You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. If the original document is in a language other than English or French then you must also include a letter from the academic institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with an official translation of the original document.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
sonniu said:
Hi All,

Also,

Thanks,
Not sure what immigration document you are referring to but for two IDs, those you listed will make the trick.

andykumar

Dec 31, 2016
If you have the landing paper, and is legible after making a photocopy, this is what you need. If you are in the position my wife was when she landed, and the landing paper is in shambles because the CBSA agent tore it to shreds at the airport, then you will need to apply for a Verification of Status, which as of typing, is six months to receive.

Good luck.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
andykumar said:
If you have the landing paper, and is legible after making a photocopy, this is what you need. If you are in the position my wife was when she landed, and the landing paper is in shambles because the CBSA agent tore it to shreds at the airport, then you will need to apply for a Verification of Status, which as of typing, is six months to receive.

Good luck.
Why did CBSA tear your wife's landing paper?

andykumar

Dec 31, 2016
thecoolguysam said:
Why did CBSA tear your wife's landing paper?
Not on purpose, but in the process of removing the carbon copy portion, it tore. The tear was along the main profile information.