+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language proof for citizenship

Aspat

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
One of the december applicant's application was returned because he just sent the transcripts. Make sure to attach copy of degree/diploma as well and also try to get the language of instruction in english letter to make a strong proof.

This way you will save your time and avoid future issues.
Do you know if yours has been accepted? I've sent similar documents but only for my
PG.

ms12001w

Star Member
Mar 31, 2014
Hi guys,

for language proficiency documents for citizenship, i understand that ELSA ( which is British Columbia's English Language Services for Adults) certificate is accepted.

my question is , if i go to ELSA and attend a test and they say that my level is 4 or higher is that enough for citizenship?

anybody had any experience with ELSA?

can you help please.

plus

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
ms - see quote from CIC website
For British Columbia (BC):
If you received British Columbia’s English Language Services for Adults (ELSA) training in 2008 or 2009, an ELSA certificate confirming language level CLB 4 or higher in listening and speaking. (Please note that certificates were not automatically issued at that time and you may have to contact the ELSA program directly to obtain a copy. CIC will not make the request for you).
If you received British Columbia’s English Language Services for Adults (ELSA) training in 2010 or after, an ELSA report card or an ELSA certificate issued on or before August 31, 2014, confirming language level CLB 4 or higher in listening and speaking will be accepted. (Please note that certificates issued on or after November 1st, 2012 automatically demonstrate a CLB 4 level or higher, even if not specifically stated on the certificate).
NOTE: If you attended an English as a second language course that is not sanctioned by the ELSA program, do not submit it. We will only accept courses sanctioned by the ELSA.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#CIT0002E4

Plus

ms12001w said:
Hi guys,

for language proficiency documents for citizenship, i understand that ELSA ( which is British Columbia's English Language Services for Adults) certificate is accepted.

my question is , if i go to ELSA and attend a test and they say that my level is 4 or higher is that enough for citizenship?

anybody had any experience with ELSA?

can you help please.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
my spouse has transcripts from university that show language was english. however, the last name on the transcript is initial instead of full name. is this a problem?

July2013

May 21, 2012
Are you able to secure letter from your school? does it need to be mailed directly to CIC?

pelipeli2 said:
You're right.

This is from the website :

Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
•A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad. or
•A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.

Note: You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. If the original document is in a language other than English or French then you must also include a letter from the academic institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with an official translation of the original document.

If I interpret that correctly, you only need to submit the letter from the school that English is the medium of instruction IF your documents are not in English or French.
I just called CIC too, to confirm and the officer I talked to said that the diploma and TOR I have (which are in English) should meet the requirements and there should be no problem, and such letter is not needed, AT THE MINIMUM. So I can just hope that it is enough . I'm still gonna ask my former professor to help me out with a letter though, but I think I can safely submit my application with only the diploma and TOR :D

Goran01

May 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 2009
AOR Received.
Dec 2009
File Transfer...
Dec 2009
Med's Request
Apr 2012
Med's Done....
May 2012 but expiry extended per request by VO
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
May 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Hopefully June 2013, IA
LANDED..........
Hopefully July 2013, IA
I have a copy of my 2010 IELTS General Test which i used for Immigration (Fed. Skilled Workers) so i guess i can use that to apply for Citizenship. However, my wife had not taken any language test at the time of immigration as i had showed her as my a family member or dependent.
Since we will apply for Citizenship now together as a family, i guess she will have to submit a language test or other proof as citizenship applications are on an individual basis. Please confirm if my wife will also have to submit a proof of language for citizenship application. If yes, is submitting a CSC (Canadian Securities Course) certificate good enough or a proper test result like IELTS or CELPIP is more advisable? Will appreciate any feedback.

L.O.R.A.

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone,
I have a question about language proof. I have a certificate from Vancouver Community College, it was a Court Interpreting course, from October 2011 to June 2012, part time. I was awarded a certificate at the end. I am also a certified court interpreter in Ontario (by the Ministry of Justice), I took the test in Toronto, administered by the Ministry and I have my official interpreter ID with a photo. Are these enough of a proof?

tunpi

Jan 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Mar-2010
Med's Request
22-Sep-2010
Med's Done....
09-Oct-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-Nov-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-Dec-2010
LANDED..........
04-Aug-2011
For IELTS, as we submitted original to CIC during immigration, if we now submit a copy, will that be accepted at the final stage when they ask for all originals?

bojoi7

Jun 1, 2018
Ontario
I know this is an old thread. Just wondering for those who are from Philippines and submitted their tor and diploma, were the documents authenticated by the DFA? Coz mine documents are not. Does it matter? Thanks.

perzlab21

Star Member
Jun 16, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 10, 2012
File Transfer...
July 11, 2012
Med's Done....
March 10, 2012
Passport Req..
September 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 15, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23, 2012
Hi Guys - just asking if High School Diploma only ( high school graduate only from the Philippines) is still accepted for canadian citizenship application?
As they stated in the requiements Secondary or Post Secondary.

thank you!

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Hi Guys - just asking if High School Diploma only ( high school graduate only from the Philippines) is still accepted for canadian citizenship application?
As they stated in the requiements Secondary or Post Secondary.

thank you!
Hi @perzlab21! Wondering what did you use for your submission? High school diploma? Thanks!