Language proof for citizenship

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Its suggested to get letter from institute/university stating that the language of instruction was english unless your certificate/degree/diploma states the language of instruction as english.

Also CIC officer will determine whether he will accept it or not. I think they have their internal criteria of checking language eligibility.

In my case, as a december applicant, i have submitted my bachelors and masters with two separate letters stating that the language of instruction was english. Now the waiting game begins.
You're right.

This is from the website :

Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
•A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad. or
•A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.

Note: You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. If the original document is in a language other than English or French then you must also include a letter from the academic institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with an official translation of the original document.

If I interpret that correctly, you only need to submit the letter from the school that English is the medium of instruction IF your documents are not in English or French.
I just called CIC too, to confirm and the officer I talked to said that the diploma and TOR I have (which are in English) should meet the requirements and there should be no problem, and such letter is not needed, AT THE MINIMUM. So I can just hope that it is enough . I'm still gonna ask my former professor to help me out with a letter though, but I think I can safely submit my application with only the diploma and TOR :D

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Please confirm with CIC if PR card needs to be changed as well. I hope not, that is what my understanding is.
Just called again and asked this too, and they said that the PR card does NOT need to be changed to my married name. I can if I want to, (and I probably will do that soon) but they said they do not require it for citizenship application purposes.
WHEW!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
pelipeli2 said:
You're right.

This is from the website :

Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
•A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad. or
•A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.

Note: You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. If the original document is in a language other than English or French then you must also include a letter from the academic institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with an official translation of the original document.

If I interpret that correctly, you only need to submit the letter from the school that English is the medium of instruction IF your documents are not in English or French.
I just called CIC too, to confirm and the officer I talked to said that the diploma and TOR I have (which are in English) should meet the requirements and there should be no problem, and such letter is not needed, AT THE MINIMUM. So I can just hope that it is enough . I'm still gonna ask my former professor to help me out with a letter though, but I think I can safely submit my application with only the diploma and TOR :D
As per my experience through reading the posts in this forum, some people's diploma/certificate/degree was accepted without the language of instruction letter and some people who have done MBA (degree was also printed in english), the application was returned stating that the language proof is not acceptable.

That is why I am trying to tell everyone that CIC has their own internal criteria of accepting/rejecting the language proof. The only way is to be is to have more documentation as proof like copy of degree, marksheets, transcript and language of instruction letter etc.

I wish you good luck!

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
As per my experience through reading the posts in this forum, some people's diploma/certificate/degree was accepted without the language of instruction letter and some people who have done MBA (degree was also printed in english), the application was returned stating that the language proof is not acceptable.

That is why I am trying to tell everyone that CIC has their own internal criteria of accepting/rejecting the language proof. The only way is to be is to have more documentation as proof like copy of degree, marksheets, transcript and language of instruction letter etc.

I wish you good luck!
I know, I've been reading that a lot too, mixed answers and different cases really.. oh well... ???
I guess for now as long as I meet the minimum requirements I can safely send it in but in the meantime I'll try to get that letter too just to be safe in case they ask for it.

Thank you and goodluck to you too!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
pelipeli2 said:
I know, I've been reading that a lot too, mixed answers and different cases really.. oh well... ???
I guess for now as long as I meet the minimum requirements I can safely send it in but in the meantime I'll try to get that letter too just to be safe in case they ask for it.

Thank you and goodluck to you too!
You need to get the letter beforehand before submitting your application. In case, you don't submit the letter with your application and if in case the application is returned back to you, then reattaching the same degree with the letter won't make big difference and CIC might not accept it again.

It also depends upon officer to officer. So its matter of luck as well as their determination criteria.

I have seen people with basic degrees accepted as language proof without any letter and some people's degree like MBA wasn't accepted. I haven't seen any scenario where the application was returned while the applicant has submitted the degree with the language of instruction letter.

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
You need to get the letter beforehand before submitting your application. In case, you don't submit the letter with your application and if in case the application is returned back to you, then reattaching the same degree with the letter won't make big difference and CIC might not accept it again.

It also depends upon officer to officer. So its matter of luck as well as their determination criteria.

I have seen people with basic degrees accepted as language proof without any letter and some people's degree like MBA wasn't accepted. I haven't seen any scenario where the application was returned while the applicant has submitted the degree with the language of instruction letter.
Hmmm, ok make sense.. Darn, I know it won't be easy and it's gonna take a while for me to get that letter from my school.. but if by some miracle I happen to get it while waiting for my name changed Alberta ID's then good. If not, then I'll take the risk and submit it without the letter and hope for the best.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
pelipeli2 said:
Hmmm, ok make sense.. Darn, I know it won't be easy and it's gonna take a while for me to get that letter from my school.. but if by some miracle I happen to get it while waiting for my name changed Alberta ID's then good. If not, then I'll take the risk and submit it without the letter and hope for the best.
I ordered my letter and it took 3-5 business days for the issuance and i sent it through fedex and got it delivered on 3rd business day.

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
I ordered my letter and it took 3-5 business days for the issuance and i sent it through fedex and got it delivered on 3rd business day.
And your school is?

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
My university is from India. I contacted the university directly
Good for you, hopefully my College in the Philippines can act as fast, though I doubt it.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
pelipeli2 said:
Good for you, hopefully my College in the Philippines can act as fast, though I doubt it.
I requested letters for my bachelors and masters both to make strong language proof even though my degrees, transcripts, marksheets were all printed in english.

I am hoping and in high spirits that CIC will accept it.

Aspat

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pelipeli2 said:
I got my dad to contact the University with regard to this letter after attempts to contact directly failed (expecting the university to respond promptly to an email could be unrealistic). He collected it personally, scanned and emailed to me. I collected the original when I'd gone on vacation a couple months ago.

You could ask a family member to do that as well and have it couriered at a later date. You only need a copy anyway. When you eventually get the original, keep it with with you as proof if required.

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aspat said:
I got my dad to contact the University with regard to this letter after attempts to contact directly failed (expecting the university to respond promptly to an email could be unrealistic). He collected it personally, scanned and emailed to me. I collected the original when I'd gone on vacation a couple months ago.

You could ask a family member to do that as well and have it couriered at a later date. You only need a copy anyway. When you eventually get the original, keep it with with you as proof if required.
\

Thank you! Looks like I'm gonna do the same thing as you did!

Aspat

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pelipeli2 said:
\

Thank you! Looks like I'm gonna do the same thing as you did!
Make sure you email your degree certificate and mark sheets to your family member or friend before they contact your university so they can provide proof to obtain the letter easily.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
One of the december applicant's application was returned because he just sent the transcripts. Make sure to attach copy of degree/diploma as well and also try to get the language of instruction in english letter to make a strong proof.

This way you will save your time and avoid future issues.