pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leuvina nicolas said:
hi everyone,

its me again. i forgot to include this question from my previous post. since I'm the process of completing my requirements in my application, i was just wondering if i could apply using the surname of my husband even if all my documents like passport, pr card, etc still have my maiden name on it? would our marriage certificate from our country (philippines) would be enough proof?or i still need to apply for legal name change?

tnx for all the help guys!
Hi! I know this is kind of a late reply but I am in the same situation, I want to use my married name on my citizenship application.
I already have my renewed Philippine passport showing my married name. However, my landing documents, PR card, and other ID's are in my maiden name. I am planning to eventually change all my ID's and banking documents to my married name and my first step was my passport.
I will also be submitting our Philippine marriage certificate.

from what I know, if you have change your name because of marriage, you do not need to apply for a legal name change

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
pelipeli2 said:
Hi! I know this is kind of a late reply but I am in the same situation, I want to use my married name on my citizenship application.
I already have my renewed Philippine passport showing my married name. However, my landing documents, PR card, and other ID's are in my maiden name. I am planning to eventually change all my ID's and banking documents to my married name and my first step was my passport.
I will also be submitting our Philippine marriage certificate.

from what I know, if you have change your name because of marriage, you do not need to apply for a legal name change
In what province do you live? You don't need to legally change your name if you are using your spouse's married surname. However rules differ from province to province.

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
In what province do you live? You don't need to legally change your name if you are using your spouse's married surname. However rules differ from province to province.
Alberta. From Service Alberta website:

"In Alberta it is traditionally acceptable for you, as a married person, to assume your spouse's last name. A legal change of name is not required. "

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
pelipeli2 said:
Alberta. From Service Alberta website:

"In Alberta it is traditionally acceptable for you, as a married person, to assume your spouse's last name. A legal change of name is not required. "

You can visit drivers license office, service canada office with your marriage certificate and also take your passport to show your new name and they may change it for you after checking your paperwork. After that you can apply for name change on your health card, bank accounts etc.

Then you can request a name change on your citizenship application too by entering the information on section 3B of application form. Please call cic call centre to ask how to proceed for name change before submitting the application @ 1-888-242-2100

Also check the following link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

Name change

The name on the citizenship certificate will be the same as the one shown on your immigration document unless you provide one of the following documents as proof of a change of name (in addition to or in combination with supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 above).

a copy of a legal change of name document, court order or adoption order issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada; or a marriage certificate, divorce decree, registration or declaration of union, or revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, showing your new name, unless you have been married in and are currently a resident of Quebec;
if you are a permanent resident who has had a change of name outside of Canada, please provide a foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation that has been amended to reflect the new names. An official translation in English or French must be included.
Important information: Once processing of your application has begun a name change can only be made due to an administrative error made by the Department, a truncated (shortened) name on the immigration document or a legal change of name.

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
You can visit drivers license office, service canada office with your marriage certificate and also take your passport to show your new name and they may change it for you after checking your paperwork. After that you can apply for name change on your health card, bank accounts etc.

Then you can request a name change on your citizenship application too by entering the information on section 3B of application form. Please call cic call centre to ask how to proceed for name change before submitting the application @ 1-888-242-2100

Also check the following link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

Name change

The name on the citizenship certificate will be the same as the one shown on your immigration document unless you provide one of the following documents as proof of a change of name (in addition to or in combination with supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 above).

a copy of a legal change of name document, court order or adoption order issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada; or a marriage certificate, divorce decree, registration or declaration of union, or revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, showing your new name, unless you have been married in and are currently a resident of Quebec;
if you are a permanent resident who has had a change of name outside of Canada, please provide a foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation that has been amended to reflect the new names. An official translation in English or French must be included.
Important information: Once processing of your application has begun a name change can only be made due to an administrative error made by the Department, a truncated (shortened) name on the immigration document or a legal change of name.
Thanks! Yes, I was planning to do all that eventually, and I had to start somewhere , which was my passport, which I just got back from renewal last week.
My next step will be Alberta Registry documents (license, car registration, health card), however this will take another few weeks to do and additional cost at this time, and I don't want to wait to submit my citizenship application.

Based on the info you posted above:
(in addition to or in combination with supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 above).

if you are a permanent resident who has had a change of name outside of Canada, please provide a foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation that has been amended to reflect the new names.

- will send my passport bio showing married name. Will also send my marriage certificate. I am hoping these will be enough.

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pelipeli2 said:
Thanks! Yes, I was planning to do all that eventually, and I had to start somewhere , which was my passport, which I just got back from renewal last week.
My next step will be Alberta Registry documents (license, car registration, health card), however this will take another few weeks to do and additional cost at this time, and I don't want to wait to submit my citizenship application.

Based on the info you posted above:
(in addition to or in combination with supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 above).

if you are a permanent resident who has had a change of name outside of Canada, please provide a foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation that has been amended to reflect the new names.

- will send my passport bio showing married name. Will also send my marriage certificate. I am hoping these will be enough.
Ok, I called and I stand corrected. I do need to change my provincial ID's to my married name first , as verified by the officer I talked to. Darn!
Have to do that ASAP and hopefully I get my new ID's as soon as possible.
I don't need to change my PR card name though, do I??

torontoguy1981

Star Member
Mar 16, 2013
Hi

I think you need a declaration from your school that you took your program in English or French.. I had a BA in English Literature from Jordan, yet they asked me to provide a defalcation from my university that it was taken in English.. Instead of going through all the time to contact my university and ask for the declaration... I chose to do one of the test here that cic approve and I got it right away...

I strongly advised to do that because that also save time on your waiting time for your application... instead of spending so much time for cic to verify ur papers abroad, it is easy for them if it is local..

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
pelipeli2 said:
Ok, I called and I stand corrected. I do need to change my provincial ID's to my married name first , as verified by the officer I talked to. Darn!
Have to do that ASAP and hopefully I get my new ID's as soon as possible.
I don't need to change my PR card name though, do I??
That is what I was going to tell you. You should atleast change your drivers license and health card to show your new name.
Please confirm with CIC if PR card needs to be changed as well. I hope not, that is what my understanding is.

When I got my name change done quite a while back, i got my passport, drivers license, sin card, health card etc changed and then requested change for PR card too and now all my ids have my new name and i have applied citizenship using new name.

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontoguy1981 said:
Hi

I think you need a declaration from your school that you took your program in English or French.. I had a BA in English Literature from Jordan, yet they asked me to provide a defalcation from my university that it was taken in English.. Instead of going through all the time to contact my university and ask for the declaration... I chose to do one of the test here that cic approve and I got it right away...

I strongly advised to do that because that also save time on your waiting time for your application... instead of spending so much time for cic to verify ur papers abroad, it is easy for them if it is local..
Oh damn... Ok. Hopefully I can get a letter ASAP from my school since I am facebook friends with my professors, I'll see if I can request one through them. If not, then I would have no choice but to take a language test.
But I did call CIC and ask them and they said, it still depends on the officer, if he/she finds the diploma and TOR sufficient then no problem.

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
That is what I was going to tell you. You should atleast change your drivers license and health card to show your new name.
Please confirm with CIC if PR card needs to be changed as well. I hope not, that is what my understanding is.

When I got my name change done quite a while back, i got my passport, drivers license, sin card, health card etc changed and then requested change for PR card too and now all my ids have my new name and i have applied citizenship using new name.
I guess I can do the SIN later on since it's not really needed in the citizenship application. All I need to change for the application is my Alberta license and Alberta health card.
But for PR card, Oh god I hope not coz that will take so long! At least the provincial ID's will only take two weeks tops!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
pelipeli2 said:
Oh damn... Ok. Hopefully I can get a letter ASAP from my school since I am facebook friends with my professors, I'll see if I can request one through them. If not, then I would have no choice but to take a language test.
But I did call CIC and ask them and they said, it still depends on the officer, if he/she finds the diploma and TOR sufficient then no problem.
Its suggested to get letter from institute/university stating that the language of instruction was english unless your certificate/degree/diploma states the language of instruction as english.

Also CIC officer will determine whether he will accept it or not. I think they have their internal criteria of checking language eligibility.

In my case, as a december applicant, i have submitted my bachelors and masters with two separate letters stating that the language of instruction was english. Now the waiting game begins.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
pelipeli2 said:
I guess I can do the SIN later on since it's not really needed in the citizenship application. All I need to change for the application is my Alberta license and Alberta health card.
But for PR card, Oh god I hope not coz that will take so long! At least the provincial ID's will only take two weeks tops!
You just have to visit service canada and its a matter of few minutes. Get it done rather than waiting and get all your ids changed.

pelipeli2

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
You just have to visit service canada and its a matter of few minutes. Get it done rather than waiting and get all your ids changed.
you mean the SIN? Yes, do not worry, I will do that all. I even have a worksheet/ checklist of all the documents I need to change and like I said above, I just got my passport with my married name on it last week so I just got started on the name changing process. ;D
My MAIN concern and priority as of now are the requirements I need for citizenship application which is driver's license and health card, because I really want to send my application within this month