+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language proof for citizenship

leuvina nicolas

May 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if my diploma and transcript from a university in the Philippines from a 4 year course would be qualified as a language proof when applying for citizenship? or should i include in my application a letter from my school that the medium of instruction is in english. Or should i take CELPIP or IELTS?

Thanks in advance guys!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
leuvina nicolas said:
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if my diploma and transcript from a university in the Philippines from a 4 year course would be qualified as a language proof when applying for citizenship? or should i include in my application a letter from my school that the medium of instruction is in english. Or should i take CELPIP or IELTS?

Thanks in advance guys!
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You can include the photocopy of your diploma or transcripts or both. Make sure it states completed.
Also it is suggested to always get a letter from institute stating that the language of instruction was english.

Only the CIC officer who assesses your file would be able to check if the course qualifies as language requirement or not.
If not, they will return your application and then you can do CELPIP or IELTS

Please provide the details about your course you have done in philippines and if someone from philippines reads this thread and has done the same course, can tell you whether the degree would be accepted or not.

Please check the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad. or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.
Note: You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. If the original document is in a language other than English or French then you must also include a letter from the academic institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with an official translation of the original document

zwt10

Aug 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi there,
I submitted my diploma from my university degree and transcript of records from the Philippines as proof of language with no problems. I didn't include any letter from university whatsoever. Waiting for test date now.

zwt10

Aug 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC doesn't ask for originals. Send photocopies. Goodluck!

leuvina nicolas

May 26, 2012
okay copy! ;-)

I just read here in this forum too that some people send their transcripts in a sealed envelope. hopefully everything
would be accepted and later on would be approved too..

Again thank you! ;-) Goodluck too!!! :)

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
leuvina nicolas said:
okay copy! ;-)

I just read here in this forum too that some people send their transcripts in a sealed envelope. hopefully everything
would be accepted and later on would be approved too..

Again thank you! ;-) Goodluck too!!! :)

I spoke to CIC call centre and the photocopy is sufficient for transcripts. Even the instruction guide says to send photocopies

leuvina nicolas

May 26, 2012
hi everyone,

its me again. i forgot to include this question from my previous post. since I'm the process of completing my requirements in my application, i was just wondering if i could apply using the surname of my husband even if all my documents like passport, pr card, etc still have my maiden name on it? would our marriage certificate from our country (philippines) would be enough proof?or i still need to apply for legal name change?

tnx for all the help guys!

plus

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
From what I have heard, you should stick to the name on the document you have unless you have legally changed your name.
I do not know the procedure for legal name change and do not know how much time it takes.
If you find a better answer in your favour with the change of name, let me know.
I may be considering that option too.

Plus
leuvina nicolas said:
hi everyone,

its me again. i forgot to include this question from my previous post. since I'm the process of completing my requirements in my application, i was just wondering if i could apply using the surname of my husband even if all my documents like passport, pr card, etc still have my maiden name on it? would our marriage certificate from our country (philippines) would be enough proof?or i still need to apply for legal name change?

tnx for all the help guys!

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TOR from the University is enough,as long as it says 'graduated' or 'completed', and in English. Send the photocopy. They did not actually ask for the original in the interview on our end. IMO you should do the legal name change first before you can use it on your application. There shouldn't be any problem if you just use your name,since you have been using it from the day you became resident. It should be much easier applying on your part, since all your supporting documents have that name on it. (Filipino applicant)

leuvina nicolas

May 26, 2012
thanks for your reply guys ;)

yes juney, you have a point that was what i was thinking too..in order not to have any conflict i think it would be easier if i'll be using my maiden name since all my documents have my maiden name. maybe i'll just do the legal change of name after everything has been approved. because it would cost me more if i'll be doing the legal name change first before applying for citizenship.

again..tnx for reading my post and replying guys ;)

leuvina nicolas

May 26, 2012
thank you juney :)

upon seeing your timeline can't help but hope that my application would be as fast as yours.. it didn't even took a year eh.

congrats!

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Leuvina. 2014 was a transition period for citizenship processing. Most single applications have been faster with some even finishing the process within 6mos. And with the newer system that CIC is doing, 2015 might even bring more surprises with the application pace. So hopefully you'll be a citizen within this year.