abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am ready to land with my PR visa this weekend. Is it possible for me to import my car a couple of weeks later as "goods to follow"? How do I do this, just put it on my list of goods to follow? Is there anything else I need to know about how to do this? Is it as simple as just making a list??

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

abedelia said:
I am ready to land with my PR visa this weekend. Is it possible for me to import my car a couple of weeks later as "goods to follow"? How do I do this, just put it on my list of goods to follow? Is there anything else I need to know about how to do this? Is it as simple as just making a list??

Thanks!
1. You put it on the goods to follow list with the VIN and a description.
2. You have to export it from the US. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml and import it into Canada. www.riv.ca
3. Note you have to fax the title to the US Customs office where you will export 72 hours in advance. If you don't have clear title, you will have to have a letter from the lender allowing you to export. Also you require a recall clearance letter from the Manufacturer, not the dealer.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I imported my vehicle in the winter of 2010 and I drove my vehicle in Canada for several months before I imported it. And though I did not have any problems, I have read several posts regarding importation problems since then with one poster being told they could NOT drive the car into Canada until it's been exported (I don't think they were given correct information) and another who was told they were required to import the car at the time of landing (I don't believe this is accurate either) so definitely do some research as the rules may have changed and/or be applied improperly.

my previous post regarding the importation of vehicles...edited...is below

...finished importing my car from the US. The RIV instructions require that you have a clear title (or a written agreement with your lender to allow you to export to Canada). The owner's name on the title must match the name of the immigrant importing it as goods. In addition the car must be deemed "importable" by the RIV and they provide a list of cars on their website. The car also has to be exported from the US and, as PMM mentioned in his post, you must provide copies of the title several days before you wish to export. The US export officers will check your title, identity, and the VIN on the vehicle to insure they all match. The export office is only open Mon through Fri work day hours and Friday is their busiest day (reference to Buffalo border crossing at Lewiston).

All imported cars require a recall clearance letter which is easier to obtain (and get any recall work done) while you are still in the states. In Canada you will have to pay for any recall work and THEN request reimbursement and the clearance letter from the US branch of your car manufacturer. Then there are required modifications to your vehicle (like day time running lights) to meet safety and emission standards in Canada; because it meets US standards does not mean it meets those in Canada.

Here are the costs I incurred in the process...

Cost of the Recall Clearance letter $0, but I had to have several updates which required I returned to the states if I didn't want to pay the CAN car dealership then request a refund.
Cost to export $0, but took over an hour due to the volume of exporters...mostly truckers loaded with multiple vehicles
Cost to import $204.75 payable to RIV which can be paid online or at the border
Cost to install day time running lights $80 after some searching...Crappy Tire (the nickname for Canadian Tire) wanted over $400 to do the same work!
Cost for safety and emissions testing $39.99 and $89.99 cost controlled I think and I had this done at Crappy Tire.
Cost to register and get tags in ON $125.00
Cost for US driver record for insurance purposes $7
Cost to insure the vehicle in ON even with highest driver safety rating (no insurance claims, no tickets and they want proof for the last 10 years) $1741 which almost $1000 more than my US insurance plan

Some of these costs also included taxes and some were tax exempt because it was on my goods to follow.
There are a lot of steps to get this done. But you'll get sense of what you are in for. I suggest you run the recall check now and get fixed anything that shows up, and then request the clearance letter. Get a 10 year driver's record from the state where you are licensed and a 10 year claims record from your insurance company (make copies). You will need one or both for exchanging your license and qualifying for insurance. Make sure you have your car title and make several copies (export office requests two) in preparation to export. Then start saving for all the costs involved. I'm NOT kidding, the insurance prices in ON were quite a shock.

djboinsk

Star Member
May 25, 2010
A Little Town In Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 26 2010-Sent Out
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
March 2011 !!! :):)
Can the recall letter be from a Chevy dealer here in Canada? Not sure where else to get it from.

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

1. You put it on the goods to follow list with the VIN and a description.
2. You have to export it from the US. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml and import it into Canada. www.riv.ca
3. Note you have to fax the title to the US Customs office where you will export 72 hours in advance. If you don't have clear title, you will have to have a letter from the lender allowing you to export. Also you require a recall clearance letter from the Manufacturer, not the dealer.
Thank you PMM. I want to mention that I called the US export office where I will be exporting it and they do not accept faxes, they require everything to be FedExed or hand-delivered.... maybe it varies office to office. I spoke with the actual guy sitting in that office in Vermont at the border.

I want to clarify that I intend to drive the car into Canada when I land. So I guess my question is, if the car is on my goods to follow list, am I allowed to drive it into Canada without importing it on the spot when I land? I could see a situation where you can have it on your goods to follow list when you're arriving by plane or in a different car, but not when you are literally driving across the border in that car. Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
djboinsk said:
Can the recall letter be from a Chevy dealer here in Canada? Not sure where else to get it from.
Call Chevy USA corporate headquarters and be sure to have your VIN handy. They should be able to run the number, tell you if you have outstanding recalls, and send you a clearance letter if you don't need to have any work done. I have a Hyundai and when I called the Canadian dealership in my area said... they don't have access to those records; Call Hyundai USA.

Even though the names (Ford, Hyundai, Firestone, etc) are the same, they are separate companies and keep different records.

djboinsk

Star Member
May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 26 2010-Sent Out
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
We called Chevy USA today and they told us to call Chevy Canada even though its made in the USA... ??? oh well we will try that number tommorow and see.

djboinsk

Star Member
May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 26 2010-Sent Out
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
Just a update. Called Chevy and the Clearence letter is $270!!!! Hoping its made of gold,I think its awful to charge that much for a piece of paper stating you have no recalls.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
djboinsk said:
Just a update. Called Chevy and the Clearence letter is $270!!!! Hoping its made of gold,I think its awful to charge that much for a piece of paper stating you have no recalls.
That's Canada for you! Call the Chevy USA again and just tell them you need one. It shouldn't cost a thing and it shouldn't matter what you need it for. And if they ask, tell them you are considering selling the vehicle...it's not like lying to immigration.

djboinsk

Star Member
May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 26 2010-Sent Out
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
AllisonVSC said:
That's Canada for you! Call the Chevy USA again and just tell them you need one. It shouldn't cost a thing and it shouldn't matter what you need it for. And if they ask, tell them you are considering selling the vehicle...it's not like lying to immigration.

Oh believe me we fought with Chevy USA and they refuse to do anything. Theyjust make us call the number in Canada where we have to pay. :mad:

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does one really need a letter from the manufacturer? I entered the VIN number for my USA plated Honda on the Honda USA website and it pulls up my vehicle data and says that there are no recalls for my vehicle. Is a print out from the web good enough? Has anyone tried it?

djboinsk

Star Member
May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 26 2010-Sent Out
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
Huron said:
Does one really need a letter from the manufacturer? I entered the VIN number for my USA plated Honda on the Honda USA website and it pulls up my vehicle data and says that there are no recalls for my vehicle. Is a print out from the web good enough? Has anyone tried it?

I'm pretty sure it needs to be from the manufacturer (from everything i've read and seen). I would'nt risk a print out...you never know what they might say when landing and it would be a shame to delay it because of the wrong paper. JMO though maybe others have used printouts and it worked?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
djboinsk said:
Oh believe me we fought with Chevy USA and they refuse to do anything. Theyjust make us call the number in Canada where we have to pay. :mad:
Did you call back and try again? Was Chevy Canada able to access your vehicle information??

djboinsk

Star Member
May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 26 2010-Sent Out
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 17 2010
LANDED..........
AllisonVSC said:
Did you call back and try again? Was Chevy Canada able to access your vehicle information??

Yes Chevy Canada has the info but charges $270 for the letter. So we'll suck it up and pay it. Just wanted to give a heads up to others.