+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing with not address for PR card

carios

Jan 10, 2020
Hi,
I just got my permanent residence application approved, and I'm very excited :). But I need to land in Canada within the next 2 months because the visa they gave me will expire in March. I cannot move to Canada this soon, thus I'm planning to go there just to become a PR (short landing), but I know nobody in Canada. So, I want to ask what are my options for receiving my PR card because I cannot stay in Canada for more than 2 weeks given that I have a full-time job.

I've done some research and I found that I could rent a UPS Store mailbox. Are there any other choices for me?

canadavisa000

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Hi,
I just got my permanent residence application approved, and I'm very excited :). But I need to land in Canada within the next 2 months because the visa they gave me will expire in March. I cannot move to Canada this soon, thus I'm planning to go there just to become a PR (short landing), but I know nobody in Canada. So, I want to ask what are my options for receiving my PR card because I cannot stay in Canada for more than 2 weeks given that I have a full-time job.

I've done some research and I found that I could rent a UPS Store mailbox. Are there any other choices for me?
Congratulations. As far as I know,

1. after landing in Canada, you can immediately apply for PR card. I hope this can be done within 2 weeks time period
2. I believe the PR card is dispatched with canadapost service. So canadapost does offer mail/letter forwarding to any local/internal address. In USA it is free of cost but in canada, there is a fee. So pls do some research about this also. Incase if you go back to India and the card can be delivered to India as well.
3. But pls note that, the gov send the PR card in normal delivery only.
4. OR Use kijiji.ca or aibnb and try to book a room with cheap price. So that the card can be delivered to this address in 2 months time.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,

If you do not know anybody to whom your card can be mailed to in Canada and for them to forward to you in your home country then just apply for a PRTD in your home country when you are ready to move. Once back in the country you can then apply for a card with your Canadian address.

The issue is that you need either a card or a PRTD to board a plane for Canada but there isn’t really any rush to get a card unless you plan to travel out again straight after you arrive for good. I know nothing about mailboxes and if that is an option then fine but you will still obviously need a PRTD if your card is in Canada but you are not.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
They will only mail PR cards to residential addresses. The UPS box is probably not an option. If you don’t have a residential address to provide CBSA, they won’t process the card and you’ll have to apply when you return permanently.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Note: If you provide your mailing address, all correspondence will be sent there. However, PR Cards will not be mailed to third party addresses. If you provide a third party address, your PR Card will be sent to your residential address (the address where you live). PR Cards will only be mailed to post office (PO) boxes if this is your residential mailing address. If you do not provide your residential address, processing will be delayed until you provide it.

tca_2018

May 30, 2018
USA
NOC Code......
Hi,

Congrats on the PR! I just got my PR approval email as well. I have rented a UPS box already for my soft landing next month. The UPS box does not have a PO Box number but instead it looks like a residential address. A lot of other folks have used this option successfully to get their PR card. The best part is that they will also mail your documents to your home country. My total investment was ~$210 US for 15 months(12 months rent + 3 free). You can probably do it for much cheaper if you chose 6 months. I am also planning to use it as a business address in near future so I opted for longer term.

holygrail15

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
Congrats on the PR! I just got my PR approval email as well. I have rented a UPS box already for my soft landing next month. The UPS box does not have a PO Box number but instead it looks like a residential address. A lot of other folks have used this option successfully to get their PR card. The best part is that they will also mail your documents to your home country. My total investment was ~$210 US for 15 months(12 months rent + 3 free). You can probably do it for much cheaper if you chose 6 months. I am also planning to use it as a business address in near future so I opted for longer term.
were you able to receive your PR card in your home country using the UPS rental mailbox address? thank you!

Sa3ed

Nov 19, 2022
Hi,

Did it work with UPS?