+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing under PNP

nsapp

Star Member
Aug 28, 2013
Does anyone know if the landing process after getting Visa stamped can be done in Ontario or it has to be done in the province you got selected for?

For example: I stay in Ontario currently and I have US border very near, so
1. I just do the landing process at the border and then travel to NS when I get things ready and receive PR card OR
2. I can complete landing process in Ontario and give NS address for PR card to receive at NS address OR
3. I have to complete Landing process at Halifax International Airport and give NS address for PR card.

I would love to go for 1st option, but want to check if someone knew about this already.

Thanks.

eurmione

Jun 12, 2013
manitoba
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
end of Feb 2013 for CSQ and April 9, 2013 for Federal
Nomination.....
CSQ received on March 13, 2013
AOR Received.
June 5, 2013
IELTS Request
wave
Med's Request
june 12, 2013
Med's Done....
june 14, 2013. Med received on ECAS: August 19, 2013
Interview........
RPRF on Sept 3, 2013. ECAS status change to in process on Sept 3, 2013
Passport Req..
Nov 18, 2013, Decision Made Nov 19, 2013 sent PP same day
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 1, 2013
LANDED..........
Dec 17, 2013 (same day of PP return)
Same question. Anyone?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nsapp said:
Does anyone know if the landing process after getting Visa stamped can be done in Ontario or it has to be done in the province you got selected for?

For example: I stay in Ontario currently and I have US border very near, so
1. I just do the landing process at the border and then travel to NS when I get things ready and receive PR card OR
2. I can complete landing process in Ontario and give NS address for PR card to receive at NS address OR
3. I have to complete Landing process at Halifax International Airport and give NS address for PR card.

I would love to go for 1st option, but want to check if someone knew about this already.

Thanks.
No need for 3. You can do 1 or 2, but in my opinion, preference will be for 2 - have the card received at the NS address. Eliminates if there are any, questions that may form on why the receiving address is in ON. But really it does not matter very much.

You may land at the border (flag-pole) - there is even an official procedure from this from CIC that they can provide - give them a call at the call centre. You will be asked the address where the PR cards will be sent - in some few instances, CBSA may ask for proof in the form of any billing statements etc., if the address given is not that where you are currently residing. In my case, I presented the driver's license that had the NS address on it. I landed last year at the ON border (Niagara) but staying/PR in NS - I may add.

Have something handy with the address to where the PR cards are to be sent with you to present if needed at the border. Also, given the lead time to get the PR card (60+ days on CIC web, but reported by other posters as now much longer) - you may be well on your way to NS during that time.

Here is the response I got when I inquired about the "flag pole" procedure.

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Validating a Confirmation of Permanent Residence at a Land Border (Flag Pole Procedure)

Once you get your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) from a Canadian visa office and, if necessary, your permanent resident visa in your passport, you must have these documents validated by an immigration officer at a port of entry. If you did not see an immigration officer when you arrived in Canada and are still in possession of your IMM 5292 or IMM 5688 document, then you must:
  • Go to the American land border and explain to the officer that you do not want to enter the US; but that you want to return to Canada immediately to validate an immigration document (this is called the flag pole procedure).
  • Once at the Canadian border, you must show the officer:
- your passport, travel or identity document (including secure visa counterfoil (IMM 1346), if applicable);and
- your Confirmation of Permanent Residence form and instructions issued by the Canadian visa office; and
- your proof of legal status in Canada, such as a valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit, or visitor document; or
- any immigration document in your possession (whether valid or not); and
- proof of implied status (if applicable), for example:
payment receipt;
copy of your application;
printout of online application;
proof of mailing.

To find the land border closest to you which offers immigration services, please visit the Canada Border Service Agency Web site.

/hth...

nsapp

Star Member
Aug 28, 2013
ragluf said:
No need for 3. You can do 1 or 2, but in my opinion, preference will be for 2 - have the card received at the NS address. Eliminates if there are any, questions that may form on why the receiving address is in ON. But really it does not matter very much.

You may land at the border (flag-pole) - there is even an official procedure from this from CIC that they can provide - give them a call at the call centre. You will be asked the address where the PR cards will be sent - in some few instances, CBSA may ask for proof in the form of any billing statements etc., if the address given is not that where you are currently residing. In my case, I presented the driver's license that had the NS address on it. I landed last year at the ON border (Niagara) but staying/PR in NS - I may add.

Have something handy with the address to where the PR cards are to be sent with you to present if needed at the border. Also, given the lead time to get the PR card (60+ days on CIC web, but reported by other posters as now much longer) - you may be well on your way to NS during that time.

Here is the response I got when I inquired about the "flag pole" procedure.

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Validating a Confirmation of Permanent Residence at a Land Border (Flag Pole Procedure)

Once you get your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) from a Canadian visa office and, if necessary, your permanent resident visa in your passport, you must have these documents validated by an immigration officer at a port of entry. If you did not see an immigration officer when you arrived in Canada and are still in possession of your IMM 5292 or IMM 5688 document, then you must:
  • Go to the American land border and explain to the officer that you do not want to enter the US; but that you want to return to Canada immediately to validate an immigration document (this is called the flag pole procedure).
  • Once at the Canadian border, you must show the officer:
- your passport, travel or identity document (including secure visa counterfoil (IMM 1346), if applicable);and
- your Confirmation of Permanent Residence form and instructions issued by the Canadian visa office; and
- your proof of legal status in Canada, such as a valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit, or visitor document; or
- any immigration document in your possession (whether valid or not); and
- proof of implied status (if applicable), for example:
payment receipt;
copy of your application;
printout of online application;
proof of mailing.

To find the land border closest to you which offers immigration services, please visit the Canada Border Service Agency Web site.

/hth...
Thank you very much ragluf. This was really helpful information.

pnp007

Dec 25, 2013
Hi dear. Can you please share you landing experience? Any troubles? what kind of questions you have been asked?

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Hi

We flagpoled through Vancouver / USA border post.

The experience was actually fairly pleasant. We took copies of all our documents that we used for the application, though the officer did not look at that at all.

He confirmed our status, checked the actual PR confirmation document, asked some of the questions on the PR confirmation document, we had to sign, and that was it.

I do not think it matters at all where you flagpole. As long as you still have the job under which you received your PNP (which he asked me). If your current address is different to the province under which you received PNP status, perhaps an explanation for this would be useful to have.

I found Canadian border officers most helpful, and kind.

Perhaps pick your time, so it is not during peak time at the border. You will probably have a better experience going through, if you do this.

Good luck, it is a great feeling when you've received your landing pin and "Welcome to Canada" from the border officers.

Cheers!!...