+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing questions from NY state to Ontario

seren8

Feb 17, 2011
Hello,
I am Canadian, who married a U.S. citizen and we also have a daughter who is both U.S. citizen and Canadian. We are currently living in NY. I sponsored my husband so that we can move back to Toronto to be closer with my family. He was just approved and have to land by feb, 2012.
Given the short time frame, we have a few things to consider to see what will fit our needs and schedules, and so we have a few questions:
1. Can we drive to Quebec (maybe a weekend trip to Montreal) to land, even though our final destination is Toronto, Ontario? (It is a little bit closer to drive there than to Toronto)
2. If we do decide to land through Niagara Falls that area, are all of the bridges equipped to process immigrants to land? Or is Peace bridge usually the one that is most convenient and quickest?
3. If you could kindly share your landing experience by car through the Niagara Falls region, your bridge of choice and or Quebec...
4. If he decide to go by air, can he land by himself without us since he is the one that has to land? And he will be returning to the states a couple days later to continue to prepare our big move up there...
5. Have anyone flown to Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to land? Is that airport equipped to deal with landing issues? what is your experience like?

I appreciate all your inputs and sharing your experiences in advance.

Sincerely
Seren8

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
You may wish to contact CBSA directly regarding which border crossings have immigration agents and let you land there. http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/contact/general-generaux-eng.html

I would highly suggest contacting them and asking directly about landing in Quebec. Immigrants who intend to be residents of Quebec must have a special document from the Quebec government that they present along with their COPR and passport upon landing. I would hope that they wouldn't give you trouble if you explained that you had no intention of residing in Quebec, but it's probably better to call ahead and confirm that this will be the case.

As far as I know he can land by himself.

If he returns to the U.S right away he'll want to give your relative's address in Toronto for his PR card. If he returns to Canada before he gets his PR card from them then he'll need a travel document. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Hope that helps a bit. Best of luck and congrats!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I landed at Queenston Lewiston in the Niagara region. I also imported my goods to follow there after midnight in a raging snowstorm. It was easy and quick both times.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
We landed at the Rainbow Bridge - no problems. All three Buffalo/Niagara crossings do landings. I think I wouldn't mess with Quebec. Pretty sure they don't have Immigration at Billy Bishop.

If you applied to sponsor while living abroad, you need to be with him when he lands. One of the conditions of his approval was your promise to resettle in Canada, so be there for his landing.

As has already been said - he will need to provide an address in Canada that they can send his PR card to. He is okay to go back after completing his landing - to tie up loose ends and prepare for the move. I don't know whether - being visa-exempt - he has to get a travel document. He will still have a copy of his COPR and the PR visa affixed to his passport after his landing. That should be sufficient but, since I didn't leave Canada before getting my PR card, I can't confirm for certain. Hopefully someone will log in and answer that question through their own experience.

One thing: be sure he lists his "Goods to Follow" on a Customs Inventory Sheet to take with him when he lands. He'll need to submit that to Customs after his landing is finalized so that he'll be able to import his belongings when you later complete your move. Otherwise, he'll end up paying duty on everything that you guys bring into Canada later.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
If you leave Canada before receiving the PR card, you won't need to apply for a travel document to re enter Canada. Since you are visa exempt, Passport and COPR will suffice. This comes from experience. I was readmitted to Canada from the US with no issue whatsoever.
Good luck with with move and the landing.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
FYI - I just got my passport and COPR back from Buffalo, with a document detailing landing information. It specifically states in bold letters not to land in Quebec unless you have a certificat de selection du Quebec or you are prepared to provide strong evidence that your intention is to reside in another province. Sounds like it would be more of a hassle than it's worth for you.