+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Inquiry: Port of Entry and Proof of Funds

MehdiOntario

Jul 18, 2017
Hello dear members,

I have recently joined this forum, but already wish to thank you for the insightful posts, which have clarified a number of issues for me and my wife. We recently obtained a Canadian permanent residence visa. In preparation for our travel, I would be grateful if you could assist us in answering some questions:

1- Our Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) Documents state that Ottawa is our Destination city. Does this mean that our first port of entry SHOULD be Ottawa and that we SHOULD process our COPR documents there; or can we go to and process the paperwork in Toronto, given that we intend to reside in the Toronto area?
2- Is there an exact amount of funds (cash or statements) that should be provided to the immigration officer upon arrival? If so, how much?
3- Due to my countries financial restrictions, I would only be able to take around 6000 CAD with me. This amount should cover me between August and December. Based on your experiences, is this amount enough for one person to "settle down," given that rent would involve downpayments, utilities are expensive ....
4- Would my wife, who is the dependent in the application and will be joining early next year, have to provide proof of funds upon her arrival as well?

Many thanks for your assistance! Your input will undoubtedly come in handy ahead of this new chapter in our lives!

Best,

Mehdi

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Mehdi,

1- No, you port of entry doesn't have to be Ottawa. You don't even have to settle in Ottawa, unless, you were a provincial nominee which would require you demonstrate at entry that you're going to the province that selected you, in this case Ontario. So, feel free to get a flight to Toronto and look forward to life there.

2- The amount is specified on the CIC site depending on the size of your family. It doesn't have to be in cash, it could be bank drafts, travelers checks or even your bank statement and a letter from your bank back home verifying that you hold an account there and indicating the balance on the account which should be at least equivalent to the amount specified by CIC. Whatever you have is what you present to IO if asked. Here's the link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

3 - That comes down to your lifestyle. Some people may survive on it, others not. But I doubt that'd sustain a family, especially in Toronto. My advice (and do this ASAP), make a budget, estimate how much you'll need per month, assuming you have no income. Basically, research on rental rates (I'd encourage apartments at this point in time), mobile service rates, utilities, everything a typical household needs - keep it basic, you dont need to pay for TV if you have no income. There a few threads here where members share costs of living in various cities, including Toronto. One thing is for sure, Toronto is expensive. On rent, I advise you book a place on airbnb for your first month from the day you land. Within that month you can research areas before you make a final decision. You could even ask the airbnb host if they'd be open to you staying in the place a few more months at the same monthly rent with the amenities they offer. If you like the place, they might even just do a 12 month lease if you like. Airbnb helps you establish a relationship as the host no longer sees you as a stranger.

4- No, the primary applicant provides proof of funds

Here's a good thread to look at: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/living-in-toronto.482072/

All the best

MehdiOntario

Jul 18, 2017
Thank you very much for these wonderful clarifications!
I will apply much of what you suggested to the word!

Have a good day!

Mehdi,

1- No, you port of entry doesn't have to be Ottawa. You don't even have to settle in Ottawa, unless, you were a provincial nominee which would require you demonstrate at entry that you're going to the province that selected you, in this case Ontario. So, feel free to get a flight to Toronto and look forward to life there.

2- The amount is specified on the CIC site depending on the size of your family. It doesn't have to be in cash, it could be bank drafts, travelers checks or even your bank statement and a letter from your bank back home verifying that you hold an account there and indicating the balance on the account which should be at least equivalent to the amount specified by CIC. Whatever you have is what you present to IO if asked. Here's the link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

3 - That comes down to your lifestyle. Some people may survive on it, others not. But I doubt that'd sustain a family, especially in Toronto. My advice (and do this ASAP), make a budget, estimate how much you'll need per month, assuming you have no income. Basically, research on rental rates (I'd encourage apartments at this point in time), mobile service rates, utilities, everything a typical household needs - keep it basic, you dont need to pay for TV if you have no income. There a few threads here where members share costs of living in various cities, including Toronto. One thing is for sure, Toronto is expensive. On rent, I advise you book a place on airbnb for your first month from the day you land. Within that month you can research areas before you make a final decision. You could even ask the airbnb host if they'd be open to you staying in the place a few more months at the same monthly rent with the amenities they offer. If you like the place, they might even just do a 12 month lease if you like. Airbnb helps you establish a relationship as the host no longer sees you as a stranger.

4- No, the primary applicant provides proof of funds

Here's a good thread to look at: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/living-in-toronto.482072/

All the best

Pontingmartin

Jul 14, 2017
I HAVE A QUERY similar to Mehdi that if i am not a provincial nominee that can i change my province of landing from ontario(toronto-- as per my copr) to british columbia(vancouver). My agent is telling me that i have to land at place mentioned on my copr or else i will have to seek permission from IRCC for changinh my landing destination. is there any official document to take print of the same and show at airport?

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
I HAVE A QUERY similar to Mehdi that if i am not a provincial nominee that can i change my province of landing from ontario(toronto-- as per my copr) to british columbia(vancouver). My agent is telling me that i have to land at place mentioned on my copr or else i will have to seek permission from IRCC for changinh my landing destination. is there any official document to take print of the same and show at airport?
If you're not a provincial nominee and obtained your PR through the FSW program, you can land wherever you please, except in Quebec. You don't need permission. I don't know of any process or document designed for the purpose of an applicant changing their destination.

MehdiOntario

Jul 18, 2017
Next2015, many thanks for being so responsive! I would like to pick your brains on a landing issues, if you don't mind:

- I have purchased a ticket to Toronto with a connecting flight in Montreal. As I will have to change planes and collect my baggage, would I be required to process my landing paperwork (COPR) at Montreal Airport, or at Toronto Airport? In any case, I am assuming that this would not make the process any different regardless of where I do so.

Thank you and do bear with us! :)

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Next2015, many thanks for being so responsive! I would like to pick your brains on a landing issues, if you don't mind:

- I have purchased a ticket to Toronto with a connecting flight in Montreal. As I will have to change planes and collect my baggage, would I be required to process my landing paperwork (COPR) at Montreal Airport, or at Toronto Airport? In any case, I am assuming that this would not make the process any different regardless of where I do so.

Thank you and do bear with us! :)
If you have confirmation from the airline that you have to pick your bags, then yes, you will be required to do your landing in Montreal. The fact, that you have to pick your luggage and change planes suggests you'll be connecting to a domestic flight so you'll be landing at a domestic terminal in Toronto, which means you're expected to have cleared your entry into Canada at your port of entry (in this case, Montreal). Not to worry, you wont get any issues in Montreal (process is the same), so long as you inform them that your final destination is Toronto (they may ask to see your itinerary to confirm). Now that said, I hope the layover is at least an hour as you need time to complete the landing process, then go pick your bags, check them in again , and run to board your flight to Toronto. I advise you ask the attendant at your point of origin to check-in the bags all the way to Toronto - this will eliminate the need for you to pick them in Montreal, hopefully they can.

Otherwise, its perfectly fine for you to ask, no need to apologize.

All the best.

MehdiOntario

Jul 18, 2017
THANK YOU Next25!

I will indeed be connecting to a domestic Air Canada flight, so my landing will very likely be processed in Montreal. I arrive to Trudeau Airport at 21:00; hopefully the CBSA office will be open. The website mentions the office is open until 02:30 am.
As to layover, it's a lengthy 8 hour one - ample time for processing :)

Thanks again!

Mehdi

Kwt123

Star Member
May 15, 2018
Hello,
My COPR says that city of destination is Hamilton. Can I land and stay in Toronto? As long as it is in Ontario province (as I had a PNC frm Ontario).
Appreciate if you could please advise asap as Im flying on Sunday early morning. Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello,
My COPR says that city of destination is Hamilton. Can I land and stay in Toronto? As long as it is in Ontario province (as I had a PNC frm Ontario).
Appreciate if you could please advise asap as Im flying on Sunday early morning. Thanks
You complete immigration formalities at the first POE that you arrive at so unlikely you could even make Hamilton your initial POE to fly into unless flying in from the few US airports that serve Hamilton. So answer is no issue whatsoever and anyway as you say still in Ontario anyway.

Kwt123

Star Member
May 15, 2018
You complete immigration formalities at the first POE that you arrive at so unlikely you could even make Hamilton your initial POE to fly into unless flying in from the few US airports that serve Hamilton. So answer is no issue whatsoever and anyway as you say still in Ontario anyway.
Thanks a lot!

dayasabiha

Jan 21, 2019
Mauritius
Category........
QSW
Hello dear Members,
I was selected for immigration to Quebec as a Quebec Skilled Worker, so i would like to clarify whether i would have to enter Canada on the port of entry indicated on my COPR, or can i land at Toronto, since all my friends and relatives live in Toronto and i am travelling to Canada with a child, it would be a great help to me if i can land somewhere where i would have somebody to help me.
Do you know anyone who as a quebec skilled worker has previously landed in toronto??

Last edited:

Nina91

Dec 6, 2018
Hello dear Members
I finally got my RP visa withing Express Entry program (French speaking Skilled Workers)
In my CoPR , the final destination is mentioned as to be Toronto, which is actually my initial and final choice.
However, when I check flights from my country, I only find flights with stopovers in Montreal.
I know that immigration landing formalities will be done at my first port of entry in Canada, however won't it be a problem if I make a stopover in Montreal with an RP visa , knowing that I am willing to move to Toronto?

Thank you in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello dear Members
I finally got my RP visa withing Express Entry program (French speaking Skilled Workers)
In my CoPR , the final destination is mentioned as to be Toronto, which is actually my initial and final choice.
However, when I check flights from my country, I only find flights with stopovers in Montreal.
I know that immigration landing formalities will be done at my first port of entry in Canada, however won't it be a problem if I make a stopover in Montreal with an RP visa , knowing that I am willing to move to Toronto?

Thank you in advance.
No problem. Show your connecting flights, if asked.