+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
khurramrizvi said:
So you have made it, Congrats and wish you good luck. I have somewhat same experience so reminds me of my landing at calgary. Qatar rocks but BA very disappointing. I arrived on 2nd March 2016.
Why is BA very disappointing? Please let people know so that they can make good choices about the airlines they are going to fly with.

Graciekay

Star Member
Mar 17, 2016
Johannesburg, South Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
South Africa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/03/16
Doc's Request.
10/03/16
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
03/03/16
Med's Done....
25/02/16
Interview........
Not needed
Passport Req..
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
Very helpful post. Thanks

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
rajkamalmohanram said:
Why is BA very disappointing? Please let people know so that they can make good choices about the airlines they are going to fly with.
A lot depends on the rush at Heathrow. Overall Heathrow is a well organized and modern airport.
It is also the busiest in Europe. So naturally you may have to spend a little more time completing all formalities.

I have flown BA a couple of times, including my recent landing in Canada, and found them to be at par with all other major airlines.
Nothing to complain about.

tyshow

Jun 10, 2015
Quick Tip for you folks heading to Canada soon to land your job as I did within 3 months

1) I presume you all have your credentials assessed, you need to include this with every job application you submit. This is how you can make the recruiters job easy that your educational experience is in line with what is attained here.

2) The term CV should be expunged. We use the terminology Resume's here. Format your resume in a chronological style (at least that worked for me). The wordings on your resume should be in 2nd persons' using actionable words like "Facilitated the audit of several accounts" with Facilitated here being the actionable word.

3) Highlight achievements in your previous job description using metrics to proof this e.g could be "Achieved and surpassed marketing targets by overturning a deficit which was in the department for months before I arrived by recording a 30% growth in sales within first month of assignment".

4) keep an excel spreadsheet of all the jobs you have applied for. The last thing you want is for a recruiter to call you on the phone making reference to a job you applied for. To leave a first impression, you've got to be able to recall on the call the job title, date applied for, job duties and why you were so keen to apply for it. If you haven't kept a log, you will fluff your lines and leave a negative impression on the recruiter.

5) Be prepared for a minimum (2) rounds of interview; could be by skpe, go-to meeting or citrix as your first interview over the PC. Yes do not be deterred from applying for jobs outside the province you are settled in. They are quite flexible with this approach as everyone knows Canada is a huge country.

6) Your LinkedIn profile should be formatted in a professional manner.

7) You should possess soft skills and try to soften your accent. They can be prejudicial if your accent is difficult to be understood.

8) A couple of sites to check for job ads which include: eluta.ca, linkedin job search, indeed.ca, Workopolis.ca, monster.ca. Also check the provincial and municipal websites for jobs placement ads.

9) Cover Letters are crucial. Read the job description and highlight in your cover letter previous experience you have that demonstrates you are a candidate for the job.

I came here to Edmonton, Alberta last year in November. I didn't a get until about second week in February though but within this interval from Nov-Feb, had about five interviews. God was faithful that even when I did eventually get a job, I quitted after a week as I got an even rewarding and high profile job within the provincial government. My wife was smarter than me; she landed a job within two weeks!

I intend to write a blog post to elaborate on how to land your first job during the weekend. Please kindly visit my blog at
www[dot]leavingforcanada[dot]com and do not forget to subscribe to be notified by email whenever a new post is published. Feel free to leave me a comment there and I will respond to emails within 24 hrs.

Good luck everyone :)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
tyshow said:
Quick Tip for you folks heading to Canada soon to land your job as I did within 3 months

1) I presume you all have your credentials assessed, you need to include this with every job application you submit. This is how you can make the recruiters job easy that your educational experience is in line with what is attained here.

2) The term CV should be expunged. We use the terminology Resume's here. Format your resume in a chronological style (at least that worked for me). The wordings on your resume should be in 2nd persons' using actionable words like "Facilitated the audit of several accounts" with Facilitated here being the actionable word.

3) Highlight achievements in your previous job description using metrics to proof this e.g could be "Achieved and surpassed marketing targets by overturning a deficit which was in the department for months before I arrived by recording a 30% growth in sales within first month of assignment".

4) keep an excel spreadsheet of all the jobs you have applied for. The last thing you want is for a recruiter to call you on the phone making reference to a job you applied for. To leave a first impression, you've got to be able to recall on the call the job title, date applied for, job duties and why you were so keen to apply for it. If you haven't kept a log, you will fluff your lines and leave a negative impression on the recruiter.

5) Be prepared for a minimum (2) rounds of interview; could be by skpe, go-to meeting or citrix as your first interview over the PC. Yes do not be deterred from applying for jobs outside the province you are settled in. They are quite flexible with this approach as everyone knows Canada is a huge country.

7) You should possess soft skills and try to soften your accent. They can be prejudicial if your accent is difficult to be understood.

8) A couple of sites to check for job ads which include: eluta.ca, linkedin job search, indeed.ca, Workopolis.ca, monster.ca. Also check the provincial and municipal websites for jobs placement ads.

9) Cover Letters are crucial. Read the job description and highlight in your cover letter previous experience you have that demonstrates you are a candidate for the job.

I came here to Edmonton, Alberta last year in November. I didn't a get until about second week in February though but within this interval from Nov-Feb, had about five interviews. God was faithful that even when I did eventually get a job, I quitted after a week as I got an even rewarding and high profile job within the provincial government. My wife was smarter than me; she landed a job within two weeks!

I intend to write a blog post to elaborate on how to land your first job during the weekend. Please kindly visit my blog at
www[dot]leavingforcanada[dot]com and do not forget to subscribe to be notified by email whenever a new post is published. Feel free to leave me a comment there and I will respond to emails within 24 hrs.

Fantastic information. +1 for this!

Mabertia

Nov 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2014
Med's Done....
07-09-2015
Passport Req..
21-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2016
LANDED..........
29-07-2016
Congratulations on your safe landing SZ84, all the best in the Maple country.

SZ84 said:
Hi Everybody,
I wanted to update this wonderful & very helping group that i have done my landing at Calgary Airport on 08-March-2016.
mostly it was a smooth process. i flew in from Lahore-Doha-London Heathrow-Calgary on qatar airways + British Airways (i strongly recommend to avoid connecting through London airport as that airport is a total chaos. extremely over crowded and badly managed in terms of transit passengers handling).

we a family of three (two adults and one infant) arrived Calgary around 6pm and it almost 2 hours to complete the landing process.

At the Passport Control: I informed the officer that we are new immigrants, he checked our Disembarkation Card and passport + visa. then he will then directed us to "Newly Landed Immigrants' Counter".

At the Immigration Counter: The IO here checked our passports + COPR copies. he took one copy of COPR with picture from us.

He then asked for POF, which i showed him as i was carrying it in cash. the IO counted the POF in front of me and then gave me Money declaration form to complete. (very important: if you are carrying more then 10k CAD then you will have to complete this form and once you complete it then ask the IO to provide you a copy of this form. in my case i forgot to take the copy and ended up going back to airport to get it as the canadian banks will need this to open your bank account with more then 10K CAD cash.

Goods to follow: i gave two copies to IO he stamped on copy and gave it back.
Good Accompanying: the IO did not even look at it, when i asked him to sign it he simply said since this is the stuff i already have with me in person so there is no need to stamp it.

Services Canada Office: this office was closed so i visited on on the next day to get SIN cards for my family.

Medical Cards: i applied at a local registry and it came to my home address after about 10 days. (IMPORTANT: if you need to visit a doctor before you get the medical card then you can call up Alberta health service for you medical card number who will provide it to you on phone)

New Comers Center: very important place to visit as they help with all sort of things, accommodation arrangements, furniture for new home, temporary job placements and whatever you need. ( suggestion: go there early morning and try to schedule a appointment with an officer who can preferably speak you mother tongue as it helps a lot with your wife and children as they have lot of good information for them as well. here they will also schedule career counseling sessions for you.

vivekrattan

May 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4TH SEPT 2014
AOR Received.
SLU ON 2nd MARCH 2015
IELTS Request
sent with file
Med's Request
1st oct, 2015
Med's Done....
14th Oct, 2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
9th Nov,2015
VISA ISSUED...
20th Nov, 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in April, 2016
alok4best said:
A lot depends on the rush at Heathrow. Overall Heathrow is a well organized and modern airport.
It is also the busiest in Europe. So naturally you may have to spend a little more time completing all formalities.

I have flown BA a couple of times, including my recent landing in Canada, and found them to be at par with all other major airlines.
Nothing to complain about.
hi,
i m also traveling through british airways in april, can u tell me that do we ll have to go through security checks again at heathrow, as my transit time is only 1 hour 50 mins.
thanx

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
vivekrattan said:
hi,
i m also traveling through british airways in april, can u tell me that do we ll have to go through security checks again at heathrow, as my transit time is only 1 hour 50 mins.
thanx
Yes, you will need to go through security again. You will not cross passport control though.
1hr 50min is a touch n go situation. If I were you, I will at least keep 3 hours between flights.
You know, if your first flight gets delayed by 30 mins, there are too many ppl in queue. Stuff like that.
It's always better to be early and sit idle for an hour than miss the flight.

chiyakam

Aug 23, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2015
Doc's Request.
11-03-2016 (Sub: 29-03-2016)
AOR Received.
18-10-2015
Passport Req..
31-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
02-06-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2016
tyshow said:

Thanks for sharing this piece of information @tyshow!

oman_n

Dec 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO-CVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10-14
Doc's Request.
11-06-15
Nomination.....
19-01-15
AOR Received.
09-03-15
IELTS Request
along with application
File Transfer...
09-03-15
Med's Request
12-06-15
Med's Done....
20-06-15 (TLU 30th June 15)
Interview........
(DM on 17th July 2015)
Passport Req..
01-09-2015 (Submitted to VFS Muscat on 3rd Sep)
VISA ISSUED...
07/10/2015 (Passport received Visa date 17/07/15)
Hello every one!
I've succesfully landed at Calgary airport on 26th March 2016. The process was simple but got delayed as not more of officials were available around 1400 hrs and being Saturday.
However after immigration officer checked COPR and Visa directed us to CBSA. CBSA officer carried out all the formalities such as stamping on COPR, collection of PR card delivery address and stamping on B4 (things to follow form) form and on passport.
Surprisingly still CIC website is showing status as "decision made" with old address. Whereas I've already collected SIN for me and my family.

Can any one advise how much time CIC take to update the application website showing status as "Completed" and update in address change.
Further it is my short viist and leaving back to my current job location with aniticipation to have OIL sector market improvemnt in coming future and provide me suitable oppurtunity.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
oman_n said:
Hello every one!
I've succesfully landed at Calgary airport on 26th March 2016. The process was simple but got delayed as not more of officials were available around 1400 hrs and being Saturday.
However after immigration officer checked COPR and Visa directed us to CBSA. CBSA officer carried out all the formalities such as stamping on COPR, collection of PR card delivery address and stamping on B4 (things to follow form) form and on passport.
Surprisingly still CIC website is showing status as "decision made" with old address. Whereas I've already collected SIN for me and my family.

Can any one advise how much time CIC take to update the application website showing status as "Completed" and update in address change.
Further it is my short viist and leaving back to my current job location with aniticipation to have OIL sector market improvemnt in coming future and provide me suitable oppurtunity.
May be a long wait. I'm also NOC 2131. However I'm planning to land in Calgary and then move to Toronto. I've heard that the economy isn't that bad there.

SZ84

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-OCT-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
17-Dec-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
14-Jan-2015
Med's Request
29-July-2015
Med's Done....
28-August-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-Oct-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-NOV-2015
LANDED..........
08-March-2016
Thanks khurramrizvi & Mabertia for your wishes.
as far as British Airways goes. some of our luggage didn't arrived and it took BA 10 days to deliver it to our home address. and that too at the odd time of 23:00hrs.

UrbanNomad

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
Landing completed in Canada

hi All,

My family & i landed in Toronto - Pearson on 25th March at around 1:30pm. Completing the landing formalities took around 1.5hrs. First up was the CBSA Immigration officer who retained one copy of the COPRs with him (the one with the photo) & returned the other back to us. Including waiting etc. this took about 25 mins. He did not ask for proof of funds but i had already indicated that we were carrying more than 10K CAD in the customs form that was given on the flight (one form is sufficient for up to 4 pax travelling together).

He then directed us to the SIN counter which was fortunately open that day. I thought that being Good Friday it would be closed. The process here took another 20 mins or so.

Post this was the immigration helpdesk where we were handed over brochures etc. After this was baggage collection (bags were of course already waiting for us). With these we then proceeded to the customs desk & indicated we had declarations to make. We were then guided to a separate area for the same.

Here i presented the Goods to Follow form with the attached excel sheets printed out as also photos of the gold etc. In 2 copies each. The officer was highly appreciative of the documentation & at least thrice said that you have saved tons of time for both us. He proceeded to stamp all pages & handed over one copy back to us.

I also indicated that i wanted to declare funds carried 60% of which was a Demand Draft in CAD & balance 40% in cash. He did not want to count any of the cash & put in the relevant figures in the form. A printed acknowledgement of all the declarations were handed back to me.

I opened a bank account with RBC the following tuesday with a credit card also. A basic no frills account at the moment since i wont be returning to canada for a year while i settle all the stuff before hand.

A week later we are back with the address of a family relative for the PR cards.

Overall a very efficient process & warmth & smiles all around.

Cant stress the importance of having your Goods to Follow form & annexures neatly detailed & printed out.

imm2canada

Star Member
Aug 3, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-08-2014
Med's Request
01-04-2015
Passport Req..
10-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-08-2015, Passport received : 22-08-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2016
Hi Seniors,

I am doing my landing next week, I have a query regarding medical insurance. I have explored https://arbetovinsurance.com, however there are multiple insurance providers (Destination Canada, Travelance, Allianz, Tugo....). Can anyone please suggest me which insurance provider is a good choice...

Please reply with your valuable inputs.

Thank you very much...

shibdutta

Star Member
Jul 30, 2015
Re: Landing completed in Canada

UrbanNomad said:
hi All,

My family & i landed in Toronto - Pearson on 25th March at around 1:30pm. Completing the landing formalities took around 1.5hrs. First up was the CBSA Immigration officer who retained one copy of the COPRs with him (the one with the photo) & returned the other back to us. Including waiting etc. this took about 25 mins. He did not ask for proof of funds but i had already indicated that we were carrying more than 10K CAD in the customs form that was given on the flight (one form is sufficient for up to 4 pax travelling together).

He then directed us to the SIN counter which was fortunately open that day. I thought that being Good Friday it would be closed. The process here took another 20 mins or so.

Post this was the immigration helpdesk where we were handed over brochures etc. After this was baggage collection (bags were of course already waiting for us). With these we then proceeded to the customs desk & indicated we had declarations to make. We were then guided to a separate area for the same.

Here i presented the Goods to Follow form with the attached excel sheets printed out as also photos of the gold etc. In 2 copies each. The officer was highly appreciative of the documentation & at least thrice said that you have saved tons of time for both us. He proceeded to stamp all pages & handed over one copy back to us.

I also indicated that i wanted to declare funds carried 60% of which was a Demand Draft in CAD & balance 40% in cash. He did not want to count any of the cash & put in the relevant figures in the form. A printed acknowledgement of all the declarations were handed back to me.

I opened a bank account with RBC the following tuesday with a credit card also. A basic no frills account at the moment since i wont be returning to canada for a year while i settle all the stuff before hand.

A week later we are back with the address of a family relative for the PR cards.

Overall a very efficient process & warmth & smiles all around.

Cant stress the importance of having your Goods to Follow form & annexures neatly detailed & printed out.
Thanks for sharing your experience.