+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
overall - 8 (7 above in each)
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
Doglover said:
Congrats, so finally they are in hand, gr8
Doglover veerji,

How is everything going. Have you visited any Immigrant serving organization in Brampton. I too will be arriving in Brampton on Monday.

Arkhan

Feb 22, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doglover said:
Congrats, so finally they are in hand, gr8
Dear Qorax and Doglover for your urgent help.
My family member is travelling for canada v soon and she have been asked for making reasonable secure accommodation arrangement. I need your help in this regard can you provide me the detail of any suitable hostel or cheap accommodation in mississauga or brampton.
will appreciate your prompt resposne.

Arkhan

Feb 22, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear Qorax,,, pls let me know how wind mobile is economical if calling other countaries like pakistan or any other cheaper option to call from canada to other countary.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Arkhan said:
Dear Qorax and Doglover for your urgent help.
My family member is travelling for canada v soon and she have been asked for making reasonable secure accommodation arrangement. I need your help in this regard can you provide me the detail of any suitable hostel or cheap accommodation in mississauga or brampton.
will appreciate your prompt resposne.
The Original Post of this thread has the Short Stay Accom options. Have a look there first. Mississauga & Brampton have Super8, Studio6, Best Western & Motel8. All the above r good options for a cheap & comfortable short stay.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Arkhan said:
dear Qorax,,, pls let me know how wind mobile is economical if calling other countaries like pakistan or any other cheaper option to call from canada to other countary.
Here for international call no one uses the direct facility from the Carriers. They work out to ve very costly. We use International Calling Cards. Which can be used from any mobile or landline & there r pretty cheap options available.

U'd know more only when u come here.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I chose telehop as my long distance provider. They were a lot cheaper for me and I have always had good service from them.

sanjn

Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
19 Jan 2009
Med's Request
26 Nov 2009
Med's Done....
19 Jan 2010
Interview........
07 Mar 2010
Passport Req..
Dated 11 May 2010 but rcvd on 04 Jun 2010. PP sent on 07/06/10
VISA ISSUED...
21 Jun 2010; Received on 29th Jun 2010
LANDED..........
17 Aug 2010 - Toronto
qorax said:
A. If your husband has the Letter of Authenticity from India, for over 24 months, he'll get the Graduated waiting period waived. So, can pretty much start the process asap on landing. Hoever, being from a right hand drive country, he'll require some retraining.

B. Yes, the US d/license is Swapable. Usually they'll give u the Canadian d/license on the spot, if the US DL is yet valid. Technically they'd see the Validity of your US DL, which is till 2016. However, that 'small print validity' is news to me, hence I cannot comment on it.

Qorax
Hi Qorax,

I have an expired BC DL (expired in 2003). I do have an UAE DL for 12 yrs and am planning on taking the authentication letter from RTA before I land.
Do you suppose I can get a license in Ontario in like 10 days? will they recognise the expired BC license?

I also have a SIn card from before( with old BC address). Do I need to apply for a new one after I land?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Sanjn

Arkhan

Feb 22, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
useful link to find accommodation of your choice in any part of Canada.

http://www.viewit.ca/

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sanjn said:
Hi Qorax,

I have an expired BC DL (expired in 2003). I do have an UAE DL for 12 yrs and am planning on taking the authentication letter from RTA before I land.
Do you suppose I can get a license in Ontario in like 10 days? will they recognise the expired BC license?

I also have a SIn card from before( with old BC address). Do I need to apply for a new one after I land?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Sanjn
A. The expired BC D/L will not work, as I understand. 'Coz, here the rule is, if your D/L expires, u have to take the same & complete procedure once again, from the scratch.

B. With that Authentication Letter (24 months), your mandatory wait pd is waived. So u can take the Highway Test straightaway. Thus, u might get the Canadian D/L even before those 10 days deadline that u have. It could be obtained in 1 day, if u pass the road test that is.

C. If u fail your "1 & only" chance at "direct G", u can still obtain the License in 20 days... 10 days to G2... Another 10 days to G.

All the best!
Qorax

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sanjn said:
I've never seen a SIN card with an address on it, just name and number but if you were in Canada on a temporary visa and had a SIN starting with 9, then it's a temporary SIN and you will need a new one when arriving as a PR. If it doesn't start with 9, it's probably still good but just in case, you might want to visit Service Canada and ask.

somcoorg

Apr 21, 2010
Hi Qorax

Do you have any information on the tax that will get charged on the amount bought into canada during the subsequest visit to canada.

sanjn

Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
19 Jan 2009
Med's Request
26 Nov 2009
Med's Done....
19 Jan 2010
Interview........
07 Mar 2010
Passport Req..
Dated 11 May 2010 but rcvd on 04 Jun 2010. PP sent on 07/06/10
VISA ISSUED...
21 Jun 2010; Received on 29th Jun 2010
LANDED..........
17 Aug 2010 - Toronto
qorax said:
A. The expired BC D/L will not work, as I understand. 'Coz, here the rule is, if your D/L expires, u have to take the same & complete procedure once again, from the scratch.

B. With that Authentication Letter (24 months), your mandatory wait pd is waived. So u can take the Highway Test straightaway. Thus, u might get the Canadian D/L even before those 10 days deadline that u have. It could be obtained in 1 day, if u pass the road test that is.

C. If u fail your "1 & only" chance at "direct G", u can still obtain the License in 20 days... 10 days to G2... Another 10 days to G.

All the best!
Qorax
Thanks a lot boss.
Any idea about the SIN card? I have an old one from BC. Do I need to take another one or just update the address on this one?

Cheers,
Sanjn

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sanjn said:
Thanks a lot boss.
Any idea about the SIN card? I have an old one from BC. Do I need to take another one or just update the address on this one?

Cheers,
Sanjn
Sr. Leon advised u just below my aforesaid reply. Read that...

Leon said:
I've never seen a SIN card with an address on it, just name and number but if you were in Canada on a temporary visa and had a SIN starting with 9, then it's a temporary SIN and you will need a new one when arriving as a PR. If it doesn't start with 9, it's probably still good but just in case, you might want to visit Service Canada and ask.

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
Dear All,

I am planning to land later in the year.
I came across this link for cheap accomodation for a month or so.

http://www.stayrcc.com/index.html

They seem to have branches in Brampton and Oakville as well as other locations in Toronto.

Seniors, will greatly appreciate knowing of this is a good option.

I could not locate information on parking.
Kitchenette with microwave available.
Two bedroom suits available
Best of all free breakfast!!!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Honolulu said:
Dear All,

I am planning to land later in the year.
I came across this link for cheap accomodation for a month or so.

http://www.stayrcc.com/index.html

They seem to have branches in Brampton and Oakville as well as other locations in Toronto.

Seniors, will greatly appreciate knowing of this is a good option.

I could not locate information on parking.
Kitchenette with microwave available.
Two bedroom suits available
Best of all free breakfast!!!
How much r they charging?
Do u have to pay before u move?

Compare that to the other links I've posted in the OP. Then take a decision. Personally I have no knowledge about this site.

Also, assess what type of Short Stay Accom will suit u... Budget vs. Quality... Guest House Type or Motel? For Budget, "SafeHomeStay" is good. For Motel, Studio6, Motel6 & Super8 r worthy, my opinion only.

Breakfast shouldn't be an issue for u, as u r a newcomer, performing the landing. There r plenty of 'heat-eat' options in all groceries/super stores. A microwave suffices for the breakfast, I guess... & also for a quikie meal.