+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
jojik said:
Good day, a small question :
Is it possible to not provide a mailing address at the POE ? (and do that latter ? )
We will arrive in the middle of April, and we currently arranged a short term rent up to the end of April, till the end of a short rent term we will find something for long term and provide it as mailing address.
u can change ur address threfore dont worry give themany address, but soon after u can change

reimfr

Apr 7, 2011
rizmayo said:
Having a permanent address in Canada is not a requirement for landing. However, you will not get your PR cards delivered to an address outside of Canada (not even USA). An option I suggested to one of the members was to get a mailbox with forwarding facility. Basically this gives you a Canadian address and mail received here is forwarded to you anywhere in the world. The 2 services I know of:

http://theupsstore.ca/services/mailboxes/
http://mailnetwork.com/city/toronto

Even though people I know find both services to be very reliable, I personally would not have chosen a forwarding service for delivery of something like my PR card. However the choice is yours.

Regards,
Thanks much. We will probably find a place regardless. Just one last question. Our valid date is until 12/4/2014. Is it OK to cut it close and land on say November 30, 2014? If there is a problem, will they give you time to rectify? Or do most folks here suggest to not cut it close to the ending date? Thank you very much for your help. We filed in July of 2011 under FSW.....finally!

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
reimfr said:
Thanks much. We will probably find a place regardless. Just one last question. Our valid date is until 12/4/2014. Is it OK to cut it close and land on say November 30, 2014? If there is a problem, will they give you time to rectify? Or do most folks here suggest to not cut it close to the ending date? Thank you very much for your help. We filed in July of 2011 under FSW.....finally!
There is no problem in even landing on the last day (i.e. Dec 4). However as you pointed out if there is a problem and you cannot make it on that day, CIC will not consider giving you an extension, regardless of how genuine your problem was. That is why people recommend not to cut it so close, so that you have time to make adjustments, should something prevent you from landing on your original chosen day.

Regards,

reimfr

Apr 7, 2011
rizmayo said:
There is no problem in even landing on the last day (i.e. Dec 4). However as you pointed out if there is a problem and you cannot make it on that day, CIC will not consider giving you an extension, regardless of how genuine your problem was. That is why people recommend not to cut it so close, so that you have time to make adjustments, should something prevent you from landing on your original chosen day.

Regards,
Thank you. Also, I reviewed the Documents needed on the first page of this thread. I keep seeing we will need Passport w/ Visa. I have a US passport but I am not sure what I meant by Visa? I have an IMM 5688 form which is the Confirmation of Permanent Residence. Another website I saw said the following....

5. What documents do I need with me when I first land in Canada?

When you first land in Canada, you will need your valid passport containing your unexpired Canada Immigration Visa and a document entitled Confirmation of Permanent Residence. Your accompanying dependents, if applicable, will need the same.

I do not know what is meant by unexpired Canada Immigration Visa? I have a US Passport.

Thank you.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
reimfr said:
Thank you. Also, I reviewed the Documents needed on the first page of this thread. I keep seeing we will need Passport w/ Visa. I have a US passport but I am not sure what I meant by Visa? I have an IMM 5688 form which is the Confirmation of Permanent Residence. Another website I saw said the following....

5. What documents do I need with me when I first land in Canada?

When you first land in Canada, you will need your valid passport containing your unexpired Canada Immigration Visa and a document entitled Confirmation of Permanent Residence. Your accompanying dependents, if applicable, will need the same.

I do not know what is meant by unexpired Canada Immigration Visa? I have a US Passport.

Thank you.
Don't worry people who belong to visa exempt countries (including US) do not get a visa sticker on their passport (this is normal practice).

Also since you are free to enter and leave Canada on your US passport, getting a PR card immediately is not really needed for you (but still better to have). You can apply for it once you permanently move to Canada. This will solve your permanent address issue. Just tell the officer at immigration you will be moving to a permanent address after entering Canada.

If I may ask, it seems you do not have a job ready for you here, then why are you immigrating to Canada if you have a US passport? Most highly qualified people try to move to USA after getting Canadian passports.

Regards,

reimfr

Apr 7, 2011
rizmayo said:
Don't worry people who belong to visa exempt countries (including US) do not get a visa sticker on their passport (this is normal practice).

Also since you are free to enter and leave Canada on your US passport, getting a PR card immediately is not really needed for you (but still better to have). You can apply for it once you permanently move to Canada. This will solve your permanent address issue. Just tell the officer at immigration you will be moving to a permanent address after entering Canada.

If I may ask, it seems you do not have a job ready for you here, then why are you immigrating to Canada if you have a US passport? Most highly qualified people try to move to USA after getting Canadian passports.

Regards,
We are immigrating for job, family and personal reasons. My wife spent many of her summers in Nova Scotia and we may eventually move there. We both will hopefully have jobs lined up in Canada shortly. We filed for application under Federal Skilled Worker back in July of 2011.

Thanks for your help.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
reimfr said:
We are immigrating for job, family and personal reasons. My wife spent many of her summers in Nova Scotia and we may eventually move there. We both will hopefully have jobs lined up in Canada shortly. We filed for application under Federal Skilled Worker back in July of 2011.

Thanks for your help.
Best of luck then :D

Regards,

Ko0ks

Sep 7, 2013
Dear All,

I am on FEDERAL SKILLED WORKER visa, i received the COPR to land in Toronto, ON.

I landed in Ottawa which is outside Quebec. I have done the SIN and Health Card in Ontario.

Now my question is, if i receive a job offer in Montreal or any place in Quebec, can i work there or not?

In summary, can a Federal Skilled Worker immigrant work in Quebec after he has done the landing and formalities in Ontario?

Please whoever knows i appreciate your valuable answers.

Thank you

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
Ko0ks said:
Dear All,

I am on FEDERAL SKILLED WORKER visa, i received the COPR to land in Toronto, ON.

I landed in Ottawa which is outside Quebec. I have done the SIN and Health Card in Ontario.

Now my question is, if i receive a job offer in Montreal or any place in Quebec, can i work there or not?

In summary, can a Federal Skilled Worker immigrant work in Quebec after he has done the landing and formalities in Ontario?

Please whoever knows i appreciate your valuable answers.

Thank you
no problem at allll

Feb 8, 2014
Hello All,
I am new here . Have tried to read through the forum and there is alot of information here. Although there are some contradicting information as well. I would really appreciate if someone can answer my following questions. I read Qurox's thread and was very helpful and will follow it.
I have received my COPR and visa pasted on my passport recently. I am stationed in Seattle , WA so want to complete my landing obligations before visa expiry date in February and then eventually move to Canada in December 2014 when my wife's contract in the US expires. I have a couple of questions regarding landing and would really appreciate if they can be addressed.
1. I applied for Ontario but since BC is just 2 hours drive from my home can I complete my landing at BC ? If I can , then can I apply for SIN and medical cards from BC as well ?
2. I am planning to drive on Sunday through the Seattle - Vancouver border. I believe the services Canada offices are closed on Sunday so will not be able to apply for SIN till Monday but my PR obligation will be taken care of even if its a holiday right ?
3. As proof of funds I will be showing my US Bank account statements along with some cash in hand. The amount in my US Bank is enough as mentioned on the immigration website but are the US Bank statements acceptable or will I need some other form ?
4. I will be traveling on my own car but since I would be returning back in a few days and eventually moving in December , I will not be exporting/importing my car in Canada. Should I expect any issue in that regard ?
5. I have a relative living in BC. I will give their address for my PR . Would that create an issue as originally I applied for Ontario ?
6. I will be using the B4 form to show some itmes that I will be bring along but the same form will be refilled and will add the items that I will be bringing along with me when I eventually migrate. The goods that I bring at my first visit and the goods that are to follow should be filled in the same B4 form ( separate copies ) ??
7. Last but not least . I will be staying for a few days and will be returning back with my Uncle's address in BC for PR mailing purpose. Can I legally do this ?
Thank you in advance !!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianpr4430 said:
1. I applied for Ontario but since BC is just 2 hours drive from my home can I complete my landing at BC ? If I can , then can I apply for SIN and medical cards from BC as well ?

As long as you applied under say FSW and not under Ontario PNP, there is no problem landing in BC

2. I am planning to drive on Sunday through the Seattle - Vancouver border. I believe the services Canada offices are closed on Sunday so will not be able to apply for SIN till Monday but my PR obligation will be taken care of even if its a holiday right ?

Yes, surely you can land at the Vancouver - Seattle border on a Sunday.

3. As proof of funds I will be showing my US Bank account statements along with some cash in hand. The amount in my US Bank is enough as mentioned on the immigration website but are the US Bank statements acceptable or will I need some other form ?

Should be fine.

4. I will be traveling on my own car but since I would be returning back in a few days and eventually moving in December , I will not be exporting/importing my car in Canada. Should I expect any issue in that regard ?

As long as you tell them you are leaving again shortly, you should not have a problem. Do you have a list of goods to follow for your assets you will be moving with you to Canada at a later date? Your car should be on there.

5. I have a relative living in BC. I will give their address for my PR . Would that create an issue as originally I applied for Ontario ?

As long as it was not Ontario PNP, it does not matter.

6. I will be using the B4 form to show some itmes that I will be bring along but the same form will be refilled and will add the items that I will be bringing along with me when I eventually migrate. The goods that I bring at my first visit and the goods that are to follow should be filled in the same B4 form ( separate copies ) ??

You should have two lists, goods you bring that you are leaving in Canada this time and goods to follow that you will bring later.

7. Last but not least . I will be staying for a few days and will be returning back with my Uncle's address in BC for PR mailing purpose. Can I legally do this ?

The only potential problem with staying a few days and asking for your PR card to be mailed is that immigration may ask if you will be at your PR card address when your PR card arrives. You have already told them that you will not be importing your car and will only stay for a few days. If you admit that you will not be at your uncles when the PR card arrives in the mail, they may decide to refuse the address and hold off on mailing your card until you are back in Canada for good. If this happens, you can call CIC from your uncles house on the Monday or Tuesday, tell them that you landed on the Sunday and did not have an address for your PR card but now you do. Try to give them your uncles address again. This has worked for some. Worst case, if you don't get a PR card, you can return at the land border with your landing papers.

Feb 8, 2014
Thanks Leon for you very explanatory response. You have certainly cleared alot of my doubts. I applied under FSW so I guess I should be good. The only issue that I foresee is with the PR card. I believe that its totally at the discretion of the immigration officer . What do you think ?

If they allow me just to complete the landing and do not allow me to get the PR would my minimum stay time start ticking ? Is it linked to the issuance of the PR card or the landing ?

Secondly I read in one of the posts that I can drive to and from Canada on the COPR , so If I choose the option of picking up the PR myself instead of asking them to mail it to me would that be a better bet ?

Another last question that I wanted to confirm was that the immigration guys at the US border do not take the i94 right because we need it in order to return back.right ? Do I even need to stop at US immigration while driving to Canada since I will NOT be exporting my car at this time ?

once again thank you so much so all the useful information !!!!!!!

=====================================================================================================================

As long as you applied under say FSW and not under Ontario PNP, there is no problem landing in BC

Yes, surely you can land at the Vancouver - Seattle border on a Sunday.

Should be fine.

As long as you tell them you are leaving again shortly, you should not have a problem. Do you have a list of goods to follow for your assets you will be moving with you to Canada at a later date? Your car should be on there.

As long as it was not Ontario PNP, it does not matter.

You should have two lists, goods you bring that you are leaving in Canada this time and goods to follow that you will bring later.

The only potential problem with staying a few days and asking for your PR card to be mailed is that immigration may ask if you will be at your PR card address when your PR card arrives. You have already told them that you will not be importing your car and will only stay for a few days. If you admit that you will not be at your uncles when the PR card arrives in the mail, they may decide to refuse the address and hold off on mailing your card until you are back in Canada for good. If this happens, you can call CIC from your uncles house on the Monday or Tuesday, tell them that you landed on the Sunday and did not have an address for your PR card but now you do. Try to give them your uncles address again. This has worked for some. Worst case, if you don't get a PR card, you can return at the land border with your landing papers.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianpr4430 said:
Thanks Leon for you very explanatory response. You have certainly cleared alot of my doubts. I applied under FSW so I guess I should be good. The only issue that I foresee is with the PR card. I believe that its totally at the discretion of the immigration officer . What do you think ?

Yes, it is up to the immigration officer.

If they allow me just to complete the landing and do not allow me to get the PR would my minimum stay time start ticking ? Is it linked to the issuance of the PR card or the landing ?

You will get your PR status but possibly not the PR card so your clock does start ticking for the residency obligation.

Secondly I read in one of the posts that I can drive to and from Canada on the COPR , so If I choose the option of picking up the PR myself instead of asking them to mail it to me would that be a better bet ?

It is not possible to pick up the first PR card. It has to be mailed.

Another last question that I wanted to confirm was that the immigration guys at the US border do not take the i94 right because we need it in order to return back.right ? Do I even need to stop at US immigration while driving to Canada since I will NOT be exporting my car at this time ?

As far as I know, they don't take it and you shouldn't have a problem coming back after 5 days.

Feb 8, 2014
Hello . Its me again . Thanks for the info Leon and sorry just have another question
I am preparing the B4 forms . One for goods Accompanying and one for goods to follow. I Will not use B4A and will attach the prints of the excel spreadsheets with details of my stuff.
The question that i has was do I need to take the pictures of everything including electronics , furniture etc or should I just take the pictures of Jewellery ?
Please pardon me for being so inquisitive. Just want to get this done avoiding surprises !!