+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Thank you so much for clarification. I did list few categories. I created detailed list for goods to follow (if they fit into the categories, just mainly large items). Should I create a detail list and jewelry pictures of what I’m bringing in as well? I already did print out the pictures but it’s for the goods to follow. It is included in there.
Pictures necessary for jewellery only. Not for everything you're bringing in.

Peace242019

Apr 5, 2019
Thank you for the information. But, what if someone gets married after getting a PR, within that one year given to her to move, will she be denied entry because she didn't state that she has a partner while applying??

tanzeel725

Jan 27, 2018
Hi, FSW-O applicant here, flying to Toronto on May 1. Been trying to make sense of the landing process but there's a few things that are unclear so some help would be appreciated.
  • I don't have an address or anyone I know in Canada. Private mailboxes have been suggested but I've looked around and there's no clear information on whether or not you can get one online from abroad before travelling to Canada. Does such an option exist?
  • After landing in Canada, do I have to leave and reenter to complete the process or is it completed once I enter Canada for the first time and do the landing interview at the airport?
  • I've been accepted to a graduate program in Switzerland and, as such, I need to leave Canada for two years after collecting my PR card. Would that create a problem? I'll only be there for a month and a half at most when I go there for the first time. Do I need to file a change of address request before/after leaving Canada and can I file another one after leaving since I'll be in Pakistan from June to September so there'll be a change of address from there to Switzerland in September?

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
Hi, FSW-O applicant here, flying to Toronto on May 1. Been trying to make sense of the landing process but there's a few things that are unclear so some help would be appreciated.
  • I don't have an address or anyone I know in Canada. Private mailboxes have been suggested but I've looked around and there's no clear information on whether or not you can get one online from abroad before travelling to Canada. Does such an option exist?
  • After landing in Canada, do I have to leave and reenter to complete the process or is it completed once I enter Canada for the first time and do the landing interview at the airport?
  • I've been accepted to a graduate program in Switzerland and, as such, I need to leave Canada for two years after collecting my PR card. Would that create a problem? I'll only be there for a month and a half at most when I go there for the first time. Do I need to file a change of address request before/after leaving Canada and can I file another one after leaving since I'll be in Pakistan from June to September so there'll be a change of address from there to Switzerland in September?

i do not have cleat answers for all your questions but, for the second question, once you land in the airport the officer will do the processing and it won't take time. Once your landing paper is signed and given to you, you are a PR of Canada. There won't be such interview at the airport unless it is something serious. None of I know had such interview.

About Q 3- If you do not intend to stay in Canada for 2 years, pls be careful about your residency requirements. If you fail in that, you will lose your PR status. When you stay outside Canada, make sure you make arrangement to maintain your status.

Reactions: tanzeel725

mdilushi

May 25, 2017
Nomination.....
None
IELTS Request
Overall 8
Thank you for the information. But, what if someone gets married after getting a PR, within that one year given to her to move, will she be denied entry because she didn't state that she has a partner while applying??
You can't mention that you have a partner while applying if you were not married at that time. But, when you get marry, you need to declare it after marriage.
But then they will assess your spouse and will ask your copr and passport for cancellation and will have to wait till the assessment process is over and get PR.

Are you planning to land with your spouse or sponsor him?

Last edited:
Reactions: Peace242019

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. If you don't know anyone at all in Canada, you can get a UPS Mailbox - but you will need to get that in person after showing ID. If I was you, I'd call a UPS store and get their address and make sure they offer mail forwarding services. Then, once you land, give that store's address to CBSA. Once you've been admitted, go to that UPS store and sign up for mail forwarding.

Even if you need to change the address later (say that store doesn't let you sign up, but another does), you can do that later using the online form. CBSA just needs any address in Canada (not Quebec, though, unless you've been invited by Quebec). You have plenty of time to update the address since your card won't be processed for weeks.

2. Once you are allowed in by CBSA, and they stamp your CoPR - congratulations! You're a PR and can stay forever in Canada if you like.

3. No, it's not a problem as such. You need to fulfill your Residency Obligations (which is 730 days in the five year period after becoming a PR), and a 2 year stay will present no issues since you'll still have enough time to complete 730 days. You don't need to file any changes of address for this reason. After you're a PR, Canada doesn't care where you live in the world as long as your fulfill your obligations to Canada. You are not obliged to inform the government where you live.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
If you get married during the process, get approved for PR, and enter Canada as PR without declaring that your marital status change is a very big problem.
The real problem lies into the fact that if the principal applicant entered Canada without declaring that marital status changed, that is straight on misrepresentation and will most likely lead to PR status being revoked, applicant be removed from Canada, and be banned for at least 5 years.

One needs to declare change of marital status BEFORE arriving in Canada!!
If you don't declare it, you will indeed be able to enter Canada, but that is misrepresentation, and will never be able to sponsor spouse in the future because spouse wasn't declared before arriving in Canada.

If that's your case, I suggest you seek advice from an immigration lawyer. Not a consultant. A lawyer.

Reactions: mdilushi

dsinghd

Star Member
Dec 13, 2018
HI. what form of money do Canadian banks accept. Should I just take cash in USD (OR do I need to convert it first to CAD) and just give it to them and the will have no issues in opening an account ?
I bank with wells fargo and Bofa here in US. Or should I take travelers check OR bank draft. I’m so confused. And how much money do we need to open a checking account there and to get secured/unsecured credit card. what is the most convenient way to open account in canada. Thanks

Ps. : I’m planning to visit these 4 banks during my soft landing and will compare the plans. TD, BMO, RBC and Scotia and someone also suggested tangerine

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
HI. what form of money do Canadian banks accept. Should I just take cash in USD (OR do I need to convert it first to CAD) and just give it to them and the will have no issues in opening an account ?
I bank with wells fargo and Bofa here in US. Or should I take travelers check OR bank draft. I’m so confused. And how much money do we need to open a checking account there and to get secured/unsecured credit card. what is the most convenient way to open account in canada. Thanks

Ps. : I’m planning to visit these 4 banks during my soft landing and will compare the plans. TD, BMO, RBC and Scotia and someone also suggested tangerine
I just used my US debit card and withdrew CAD once I landed. You don’t need a lot of money to open an account. I think the minimum was $20, but we put in a couple of thousand in each account. Exchange rates are high of course, but we were maybe losing a max $50 on every thousand so we didn’t really go shopping for the best exchange rate.

Once the account is open you can do a wire transfer from your US account.

You will get a credit card (unsecured) with a limit of $1000 or $1500. If you want a secured card with a higher limit, ask the bank.

All you really need to open an account and get a credit card :

1. SIN number.
2. COPR
3. Passport
4. $20-100

Reactions: dsinghd

atish

Star Member
Jan 13, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Pretoria
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
3-11-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2016
Med's Request
12-07-2018
Hi all..what is the meaning of soft landing?

Harleyquinn

Jun 5, 2018
Hello Everyone,

Need answers to few queries related to PoF before we land in Canada. If anyone can help, I would be very thankful

1. As POF, we are bringing Demand Draft in Canadian Dollars instead of Cash. Are we required to bring bank statements as well?

2. Demand Drafts created are in the name of Spouse rather then PA, I hope there is no issue in that as both PA and Spouse are landing together. If anyone has faced such scenario please share your feedback.
Hi,

From which bank did you get your demand draft made? And were you able to transfer it to your Canadian bank successfully?

Harleyquinn

Jun 5, 2018
Question for anyone who has moved to Canada or is going to be landing soon from Pakistan:

1. I am a single applicant. Is it okay to take cash under CAD 10,000 in cash and show the rest of the money in my bank account in Pakistan? (I'll have a debit card activated for international use.)
2. I will be travelling via Dubai. Will they check proof of funds in Dubai as well?
2. Where can I get a demand draft made that can be easily transferred to my Canadian bank account ? (I'll open one after landing.) I've checked with all the big banks in Karachi and they say they are no longer allowed to issue bank drafts for international travel.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Question for anyone who has moved to Canada or is going to be landing soon from Pakistan:

1. I am a single applicant. Is it okay to take cash under CAD 10,000 in cash and show the rest of the money in my bank account in Pakistan? (I'll have a debit card activated for international use.)
2. I will be travelling via Dubai. Will they check proof of funds in Dubai as well?
2. Where can I get a demand draft made that can be easily transferred to my Canadian bank account ? (I'll open one after landing.) I've checked with all the big banks in Karachi and they say they are no longer allowed to issue bank drafts for international travel.
1. Yes no issues
2.No
3.Complicated issue there... See if you have any friends abroad who can help you with that.