+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

Birudu

Jul 16, 2018
Hi All, Request your help.
I received my COPR and need to land in Canada to complete PR formalities and at same time have to get my US Visa stamped. can i select as Canadian permanent resident in DA160 when on COPR while applying for US non immigrant (H1b/H4) visa in Canada?

Reactions: rajababoo

samirlogin

Dec 31, 2016
I received my COPR and need to land in Canada to complete PR formalities and at same time have to get my US Visa stamped. can i select as Canadian permanent resident in DA160 when on COPR while applying for US non immigrant (H1b/H4) visa in Canada?

I am not legal advisor. Giving you answer base on my knowledge.
First of all, you can not do COPR and H1 at same. COPR will happen at Canadian border security and H1 at US border office. So it would be one after. If you go first Canadian border office and finish your COPR formalities. You become official permanent resident.

rajababoo

Jan 7, 2018
I am in the same boat as you. I have a valid work authorization (H1B) until 2020 but it hasn't been stamped yet. I am planning to complete landing process in August this year and plan to return back in a week. However, instead of H1B visa stamping, I am considering Automatic Visa Revalidation. Let me know what you think.

Birudu

Jul 16, 2018
I am in the same boat as you. I have a valid work authorization (H1B) until 2020 but it hasn't been stamped yet. I am planning to complete landing process in August this year and plan to return back in a week. However, instead of H1B visa stamping, I am considering Automatic Visa Revalidation. Let me know what you think.
Yaa but my dependents do not have valid I94 and their ext is in process.

mok_kab

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Visa Office......
Singapore
AOR Received.
13-05-2017
I am in same situation ...I read somewhere a lady told the immigration that she is going back in 9 days and will come back in 5 months. She didn't have any issue. But if someone else can verify here it would be helpful
It's no big issue as per my understanding. I did my "soft landing" for two weeks in last December. The immigration officer didn't ask me about how long I was going to stay or didn't want to see my air tickets (I had round-trip tickets too). You are a free person and therefore there is no bindings on your travel in or out, right? People come and go, and they also know about it. But obviously you don't need to bring up the issue by yourself in front of the immigration officer. Happy landing. :)

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Automatic Visa Revalidation is probably for only for students. If you are on H1B, you are not student.
I am also in same dilemma. My H1B stamping expired in March and need to do (soft) landing before november.
Anyone in Northern Virginia who is planning for landing to canada anytime soon ?

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
Someone told me that you cannot send PR cards via courier anymore as the courier company returns them to the Canadian Government. Is this really happening? What are the chances of it. I have very close family friends there who I trust will be able to send my card to me when I am in India.

Has anyone had any issue with the courier of PR Card?

fazilasadiq

Dec 30, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
Someone told me that you cannot send PR cards via courier anymore as the courier company returns them to the Canadian Government. Is this really happening? What are the chances of it. I have very close family friends there who I trust will be able to send my card to me when I am in India.

I haven't faced this issue but have read that many people have been told by IRCC agents that it is illegal to send cards through courier. I also read on CBSA site somewhere that they can confiscate the cards if they feel that cards are sent out of the country and can be misused. i'll try and find the link to the same article and post it here.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

No, the courier company would not returns them to the Canadian government. In March, a neighbor of us, went to UPS and couriered my wife's PR card to China . This way, my wife got her PR card while in China and can use the same to return home in Canada.

Don't listen to the poster before me, he didn't know what he is talking about. There's nothing illegal to courier PR card to international destinations.

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
No, the courier company would not returns them to the Canadian government. In March, a neighbor of us, went to UPS and couriered my wife's PR card to China . This way, my wife got her PR card while in China and can use the same to return home in Canada.

Don't listen to the poster before me, he didn't know what he is talking about. There's nothing illegal to courier PR card to international destinations.
I kinda have no option but to return back. If they don't let them mail me my card then I will have to apply for the PRTD.

rajababoo

Jan 7, 2018
Automatic Visa Revalidation is probably for only for students. If you are on H1B, you are not student.
I am also in same dilemma. My H1B stamping expired in March and need to do (soft) landing before november.
Anyone in Northern Virginia who is planning for landing to canada anytime soon ?
Nope not true. Please don't spread misinformation like this. You can look this up on cbp.gov

See relevant text below. It is not only applicable to students (F1) but applicable to other non immigrant visas as well like H1B provided a few other conditions are met.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has the authority and the responsibility over the admission of travelers to the United States. Under the automatic revalidation provision of immigration law, certain temporary visitors holding expired nonimmigrant visas who seek to return to the U.S. may be admitted at a U.S. port-of-entry by CBP, if they meet certain requirements, including, but not limited to the following:

• Nonimmigrants who departed the United States for brief travel to Canada, Mexico, or an adjacent island (for F and J nonimmigrants) for thirty days or less;
  • Nonimmigrants with a valid (unexpired) admission stamp or paper Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, endorsed by DHS.

vpsw

Apr 23, 2017
My Landing Experience at Toronto Pearsons Airport:

I reached by British Airways Flight from LHR to YYZ at 16:00 hrs. As I deboarded the plane everyone was moved towards the kiosks which help you to generate a prefilled form that can be used at the Border Services Counter. At the Kiosk:

I selected my Language, Was requested to scan my passport on the scanner, soon my name was on the screen and the kiosk started moving up and down as if taking my full picture/body scan :), However I got a message that my case could not be processed here and so I should directly move to the Border Service Agency Counter.

the kiosk also gave me a print out which simply read INC on top.

I took the paper and move the the CBSA counter, I simply told the person that I have come for my Landing, he took my passport and started writing something on a form. The next question he asked me was do you have a goods to follow list, and How much money you are carrying. He did not ask for any proof. He gave me a yellow form and asked me to just follow the people. I just walked the line and there were to officers standing asking for the form. I showed them the yellow form and they asked me to turn left in a separate room where again there were counters and people were standing in a queue. This area was only for New Immigrants/Student Visa/Work permit (those coming for first time). I stood in line for 5 minutes and another officer came and started asking us the puspose we came for. Me and another girl who was standing behind me said we have come for landing., he asked us to sit in the waiting area. There were about 10 people already sitting here. there were small cubicles all around. After sitting there for 15 minutes I was called by one of the cbsa officers sitting in a cubicle. He took both copies of my COPR and my passport. He asked me for the address where I will be staying (Entered the street number and postal code in the system) and how much money i was carrying. He stamped both copies of COPR with the date of entry and also asked me to sign at 3 places on copr. Later he also signed and gave me back one copy and said welcome to canada, you will receive your pr card on the given address. I asked him is there a service canada

counter where I can apply for SIN number. He directed me towards the service canada counter which was right next to this area, I was greeted by the staff they gave me a bag full of books and pamphlets about immigrating to canada. I filled a small chit for SIN number with some basic information. at the counter the person took less than a minute to issue me a SIN number. I exited this area straight into the Baggage collection where I was surprised to find both my bags kep right there. I put both of them on the trolly and started exiting. All this time I was thinking where to give the bsf186 (personel effect accounting form) so i simply asked a custom guy, he told me do you want to submit a goods to follow list, I said I want to give the goods that I am carrying, He said whatever you are carrying is fine no need to give any form. So I was out and it all took me about 45 minutes from coming out of the plane to exit from airport.

PS: you can connect to the airport wifi network which is named "toronto pearson free wifi" and simply give your email address and connect.

Onpoint

Star Member
Sep 14, 2017
Thanks for sharing your experience! Hopefully, I'll do the same soon once I get my CoPR - still stuck in IP2 since Feb.

I reached by British Airways Flight from LHR to YYZ at 16:00 hrs. As I deboarded the plane everyone was moved towards the kiosks which help you to generate a prefilled form that can be used at the Border Services Counter. At the Kiosk:

I selected my Language, Was requested to scan my passport on the scanner, soon my name was on the screen and the kiosk started moving up and down as if taking my full picture/body scan :), However I got a message that my case could not be processed here and so I should directly move to the Border Service Agency Counter.

I took the paper and move the the CBSA counter, I simply told the person that I have come for my Landing, he took my passport and started writing something on a form. The next question he asked me was do you have a goods to follow list, and How much money you are carrying. He did not ask for any proof. He gave me a yellow form and asked me to just follow the people. I just walked the line and there were to officers standing asking for the form. I showed them the yellow form and they asked me to turn left in a separate room where again there were counters and people were standing in a queue. This area was only for New Immigrants/Student Visa/Work permit (those coming for first time). I stood in line for 5 minutes and another officer came and started asking us the puspose we came for. Me and another girl who was standing behind me said we have come for landing., he asked us to sit in the waiting area. There were about 10 people already sitting here. there were small cubicles all around. After sitting there for 15 minutes I was called by one of the cbsa officers sitting in a cubicle. He took both copies of my COPR and my passport. He asked me for the address where I will be staying (Entered the street number and postal code in the system) and how much money i was carrying. He stamped both copies of COPR with the date of entry and also asked me to sign at 3 places on copr. Later he also signed and gave me back one copy and said welcome to canada, you will receive your pr card on the given address. I asked him is there a service canada

counter where I can apply for SIN number. He directed me towards the service canada counter which was right next to this area, I was greeted by the staff they gave me a bag full of books and pamphlets about immigrating to canada. I filled a small chit for SIN number with some basic information. at the counter the person took less than a minute to issue me a SIN number. I exited this area straight into the Baggage collection where I was surprised to find both my bags kep right there. I put both of them on the trolly and started exiting. All this time I was thinking where to give the bsf186 (personel effect accounting form) so i simply asked a custom guy, he told me do you want to submit a goods to follow list, I said I want to give the goods that I am carrying, He said whatever you are carrying is fine no need to give any form. So I was out and it all took me about 45 minutes from coming out of the plane to exit from airport.

PS: you can connect to the airport wifi network which is named "toronto pearson free wifi" and simply give your email address and connect.

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017

So how much money were you carrying? I plan to carry around $5000 CAD and rest I have my bank statement for it.