+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

Mr Dev

Star Member
Feb 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As per my knowledge, no insurance company covers delivery cost. Some companies cover up to certain weeks of pregnancy period with some pre-conditions. Unless you are Ontario nominated, you can land in other province such as Alberta which have immediate health coverage as suggested by @steaky .

i am ontario nominated actually ... any suggestions for me ?

keepitsafe

Jun 30, 2017
Category........
FSW
Thank you so much Keepitsafe. Does it mean that once i do the landing in Toronto, i can then move to a city of my choice, coz i like BC. In fact thats where i my job opportunities are plenty.
If you are provincial nominee then you may provide justification to province for moving to other province. Though this question does not have clear answer as the laws states that you are free to live anywhere in Canada, but as province gave you nomination its your ethics to try and stay in that province.

preet14

Star Member
May 22, 2016
Hello friends,

I am getting ready to land in Canada soon. I am a bit confused about the settlers effect list. for this, i need to fill the form BSF-186, I do not have goods coming later so no need for the form BSF186A.

But I do not understand how to categorize the info as I am taking only personal stuff nothing special --- clothing items (all types i.e. jeans, t-shirts, pullovers, jackets etc.), toiletry kit, shoes etc which are packed in two different bags and cabin luggage that has a laptop and some documents.

1. Do I have to fill a separate form or prepare a separate list for each bag?
2. Can I group every type of clothing item packed in both bags combined in just one item clothes
or
I have to group them separately like jeans, pullovers, jackets etc. and for each bag separate combination

please help will be appreciated. thank you

Last edited:

cool_eagle

Jul 3, 2015
Dear All!

===========ALERT=========LONG POST============
i want to share my landing experience in toronto after getting COPR, so that it can be helfpul for others. Mainly, it was a smooth sailing. Prior to landing , i was very tense, because i was doing landing for only a week, so i was apprehensive that due to short landing, may not they process my PR delivery. However, there was no such problem.

there were mainly five steps

1) fill-in declaration card given to you on plane and declare money if you are bringing more than 10 ks CAD,......or.....do data entry in KIOSK terminals on
landing before passport control section

2) show passport and KIOSK printed slip to passport control officer and say i am new immigrant.

3) they will send you to other immigration section, where you have to show your COPR, possibly answer few questions, provide your PR delivery address,
show proof of funds ..

4) from there you have to come out and collect your luggage

5) after collecting luggage, you have to go to customs, if you have any list of goods to follow with you....if you have brought more than 10000 CAD, then
you have to take a signed/stamped receipt/copy from there as well, which will be needed by the bank once you go to bank for account opening.

--================================i will explain this process in detail in following paragraphs=============================================

1)

The declaration form the ariline gives you which you have to fill in the plane, and keep it with you. However, in toronto airport, now they have started mandatory
KIOSK slips system, so after landing , first of all you encounter kiosk terminals in corridors, or in front of passport control, where there is usually a staff to direct you towards the KIOSK. however, they don't help much in data entry. KIOSK interface is simple. you have to select your country from where you are coming, airline and the flight number,

and then, the important part, you have to scan the passport, so place your passport upside down, and place it on the scanner, such that the bio page of your passport is
on the scanner and touches the inside (stem) body of the KIOSK, once that scanning is completed, screen will give notification to see towards the camera above the screen, you have to take out glasses (if any), once picture is shot, and visible on the screen, you are ok to proceed to next screen. on the next screens, questions are similar to as asked on the declaration form, so if you have filled that card, it will be easy to select the relevant options, and proceed to the finish page. once you click finish,
you are given a printed slip from the kiosk, which you have to collect and proceed towards the passport control alongiwth your passport. Declaration card is never asked,
only passport and printed KIOSK slip now .

On the declaration form, there were only three options previously for category, "business", "personal", "student", so if you are immigrant, you had to fill "personal" on that form. also, you have to spectify your intended no. of days stay over there. so if you are doing soft landing (and if have a return ticket like me), you have to specify no. of days over there, thats why i was nervous, and thinking that may not be my PR delivery by mail procedure may initiate if they knew that i am returning by next week.

however, new kiosk software made my entry easy, as there was a new category was also there i.e. "immigrant" alongwith "business", "personal" and "student". also, there was no asking of intended no. of days over there in the KIOSK interface/software.......................so unless specifically asked, i was never going to mention my brief stay over there............

i had also mentioned on kiosk that i am bringing more than 10000 CAD to the country.

2)

then i proceeded to passport control alongiwth my passport and KIOSK printed slip, and said that i am new immigrant. then sent me to the other
immigration section.

3)

over here, there was no queue, however you have to stand on the start of the queue, unless any officer from the hall asks you to come forward towards his cabin,
he seen my COPR, accessed his system and verified, no question was asked about proof of payment. however he asked that on my COPR, my initial destination
was BC, Vancour, then why i am landing to toronto..............in reply i said that i did some digging and did more research and came to know that toronto is relatively cheaper and has more job basket than vancour, hence.........in the menatime, he signed and stamped my COPR and recorded palce of landing and date of landing. and said to me, your research is wrong, both vancour and toronto are equally expensive cities. i got impressed and said ok....i see.
(for record, i was a FSW category immigrant)
i had already given printed page of my PR delivery address of my friend in canada straightaway alongwith COPR, so that he may feel over-whelmed and mayn't ask any question about my soft landing..........he recorded that address........and said welcome to canada.......and directed me towards exit.

4) from there i exited and collected my baggage.

5) after collecting baggage, on the intersection of corridors, there was a staff member checking printed KIOSK slip of every person, and he directed me to the customs
office, while some other travellers with other data mentioned in their kiosk printed slip were free to go outside. in the customs office, i presented my goods to follow list, he checked each page, signed and stamped, and asked specifically, if there are any jewellary items or expensive watches in the list, to which i said NO. i requested him that i want a receipt/copy of money declaration that i have brought more than 10 K CAD, as someone on this forum previously said that it will be needed by bank while opening the account.

he then asked specifically that whether i have brought that money in cash or demand draft format. i said NO, i have 3 ks in cash and rest is loaded in my international enabled ATM debit card, to that he said that no money declaration form is needed, and bank will never ask for such form, and you will have no problem in bank acct opening. After that he directed me to the exit way, and here i was, in the international arrival lounge of Pearson International Airport, Toronto.

Although, i was initially in doubt that whether i have to fill in the declaration form given in plane or in KIOSK entry, that i am bringing more than 10 KS CAD. But, anyhow, i decided to go with the YES option over there, as the presence of NO, in that section might ring alarm bells in the minds of migration officer encountered on step 3, and he may ask for proof of funds (which i would have shown if asked, by providing bank statments of my local country bank for last 4 months drawn 3 days earlier + cash + ATM debit card and physically showing balance in my acct through banking app in my android set). however they never asked for proof of payment.

i hope that this information will be fruitful for people doing their first lanidng in the coming months.

Cheers

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At Vancouver airport, one can skip step 1 because they don't handout declaration forms anymore. Use self-service kiosk directly.

Dear All!

===========ALERT=========LONG POST============
i want to share my landing experience in toronto after getting COPR, so that it can be helfpul for others. Mainly, it was a smooth sailing. Prior to landing , i was very tense, because i was doing landing for only a week, so i was apprehensive that due to short landing, may not they process my PR delivery. However, there was no such problem.

there were mainly five steps

1) fill-in declaration card given to you on plane and declare money if you are bringing more than 10 ks CAD,......or.....do data entry in KIOSK terminals on
landing before passport control section

2) show passport and KIOSK printed slip to passport control officer and say i am new immigrant.

3) they will send you to other immigration section, where you have to show your COPR, possibly answer few questions, provide your PR delivery address,
show proof of funds ..

4) from there you have to come out and collect your luggage

5) after collecting luggage, you have to go to customs, if you have any list of goods to follow with you....if you have brought more than 10000 CAD, then
you have to take a signed/stamped receipt/copy from there as well, which will be needed by the bank once you go to bank for account opening.

--================================i will explain this process in detail in following paragraphs=============================================

1)

The declaration form the ariline gives you which you have to fill in the plane, and keep it with you. However, in toronto airport, now they have started mandatory
KIOSK slips system, so after landing , first of all you encounter kiosk terminals in corridors, or in front of passport control, where there is usually a staff to direct you towards the KIOSK. however, they don't help much in data entry. KIOSK interface is simple. you have to select your country from where you are coming, airline and the flight number,

and then, the important part, you have to scan the passport, so place your passport upside down, and place it on the scanner, such that the bio page of your passport is
on the scanner and touches the inside (stem) body of the KIOSK, once that scanning is completed, screen will give notification to see towards the camera above the screen, you have to take out glasses (if any), once picture is shot, and visible on the screen, you are ok to proceed to next screen. on the next screens, questions are similar to as asked on the declaration form, so if you have filled that card, it will be easy to select the relevant options, and proceed to the finish page. once you click finish,
you are given a printed slip from the kiosk, which you have to collect and proceed towards the passport control alongiwth your passport. Declaration card is never asked,
only passport and printed KIOSK slip now .

On the declaration form, there were only three options previously for category, "business", "personal", "student", so if you are immigrant, you had to fill "personal" on that form. also, you have to spectify your intended no. of days stay over there. so if you are doing soft landing (and if have a return ticket like me), you have to specify no. of days over there, thats why i was nervous, and thinking that may not be my PR delivery by mail procedure may initiate if they knew that i am returning by next week.

however, new kiosk software made my entry easy, as there was a new category was also there i.e. "immigrant" alongwith "business", "personal" and "student". also, there was no asking of intended no. of days over there in the KIOSK interface/software.......................so unless specifically asked, i was never going to mention my brief stay over there............

i had also mentioned on kiosk that i am bringing more than 10000 CAD to the country.

2)

then i proceeded to passport control alongiwth my passport and KIOSK printed slip, and said that i am new immigrant. then sent me to the other
immigration section.

3)

over here, there was no queue, however you have to stand on the start of the queue, unless any officer from the hall asks you to come forward towards his cabin,
he seen my COPR, accessed his system and verified, no question was asked about proof of payment. however he asked that on my COPR, my initial destination
was BC, Vancour, then why i am landing to toronto..............in reply i said that i did some digging and did more research and came to know that toronto is relatively cheaper and has more job basket than vancour, hence.........in the menatime, he signed and stamped my COPR and recorded palce of landing and date of landing. and said to me, your research is wrong, both vancour and toronto are equally expensive cities. i got impressed and said ok....i see.
(for record, i was a FSW category immigrant)
i had already given printed page of my PR delivery address of my friend in canada straightaway alongwith COPR, so that he may feel over-whelmed and mayn't ask any question about my soft landing..........he recorded that address........and said welcome to canada.......and directed me towards exit.

4) from there i exited and collected my baggage.

5) after collecting baggage, on the intersection of corridors, there was a staff member checking printed KIOSK slip of every person, and he directed me to the customs
office, while some other travellers with other data mentioned in their kiosk printed slip were free to go outside. in the customs office, i presented my goods to follow list, he checked each page, signed and stamped, and asked specifically, if there are any jewellary items or expensive watches in the list, to which i said NO. i requested him that i want a receipt/copy of money declaration that i have brought more than 10 K CAD, as someone on this forum previously said that it will be needed by bank while opening the account.

he then asked specifically that whether i have brought that money in cash or demand draft format. i said NO, i have 3 ks in cash and rest is loaded in my international enabled ATM debit card, to that he said that no money declaration form is needed, and bank will never ask for such form, and you will have no problem in bank acct opening. After that he directed me to the exit way, and here i was, in the international arrival lounge of Pearson International Airport, Toronto.

Although, i was initially in doubt that whether i have to fill in the declaration form given in plane or in KIOSK entry, that i am bringing more than 10 KS CAD. But, anyhow, i decided to go with the YES option over there, as the presence of NO, in that section might ring alarm bells in the minds of migration officer encountered on step 3, and he may ask for proof of funds (which i would have shown if asked, by providing bank statments of my local country bank for last 4 months drawn 3 days earlier + cash + ATM debit card and physically showing balance in my acct through banking app in my android set). however they never asked for proof of payment.

i hope that this information will be fruitful for people doing their first lanidng in the coming months.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: cool_eagle

Binette

Star Member
Jul 9, 2014
United States
App. Filed.......
January 25th 2017
Nomination.....
13-02-2017
AOR Received.
01-02-2017
Med's Done....
14-02-2017
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
9-11-2017
LANDED..........
Feb 8th 2018
Hello everybody, i got my passport yesterday and l should land by Feb 20th 2018. I live in Michigan cross the street from Windsor. Can i drive through Windsor for my landing? What documents will l need for my landing other than passport and coPR? Will l need financial document? By the way l m just doing a soft landing. I had used my 401K as proof of funds during application it a 100% vested funds available to me anytime. Now do l have to just show them the statement letters or do l need to show checks or bank account in canada or cash?
Can i also drive my personal U.S car into Canada ? Should I tell the immigration authorities my short stay?
Thanks in advance

Reactions: mok_kab

Ak0070

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Hi guys , m got my ppr and expecting my passport back my anytime , I want to go to back home ,, Can I do my landing while coming from back home after 1 month .

gosatyasree

Sep 14, 2017
Hyderabad
Hi,

I'll be traveling from India to Toronto, via London and Montreal.
Please let me know where would the immigration check be happening.
Also, let me know where would I be claiming my luggage.

The destination in my CoPR is Toronto.

Thanks in advance.

keepitsafe

Jun 30, 2017
Category........
FSW
expecting to land starting of jan and delivery on 13th April
Hi,

It will be close dates. You landing starting of Jan and DD is mid April, so you will most probably complete 90 days wait period of Ontario and receive health card, so no worries. In worst case, if landing extended or premature delivery, you can opt for midwives services. Its a good low-risk birthing options which available for free (or very less cost). You can more information on
http://www.ontariomidwives.ca/

keepitsafe

Jun 30, 2017
Category........
FSW
Hello everybody, i got my passport yesterday and l should land by Feb 20th 2018. I live in Michigan cross the street from Windsor. Can i drive through Windsor for my landing? What documents will l need for my landing other than passport and coPR? Will l need financial document? By the way l m just doing a soft landing. I had used my 401K as proof of funds during application it a 100% vested funds available to me anytime. Now do l have to just show them the statement letters or do l need to show checks or bank account in canada or cash?
Can i also drive my personal U.S car into Canada ? Should I tell the immigration authorities my short stay?
Thanks in advance
Hello,
1. You can drive through Windsor for your landing.
2. The documents you need listed on official website. link below
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp
3. Please refer point number-2
4. Recent Bank statement letters will suffice.
5. You can drive your personal U.S car into Canada. Please make sure your insurance company covers any issues that can come up. You will need to export it from the US and import it into Canada. This does not need to happen at landing, though you want to make sure the car is listed on your before goods to follow form under conveyance so you do not have to pay duties on it when you do import it. In order to register it to Canada after importing, you will need to make sure it meets ALL Canadian safety guidelines and again the duration depends upon the province which you are living. Check with province specific data.
Some websites to learn about what's needed:
http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle
https://www.riv.ca/CostConsiderations.aspx

6. Technically you could land and soon leave. Informing imme authorities does not make much difference. But you need to provide Canadian address for PR card. Also once you land (first time) you cant return to Canada without PR (or PRTD). For more information
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=64&top=10

Reactions: mok_kab and Binette

Binette

Star Member
Jul 9, 2014
United States
App. Filed.......
January 25th 2017
Nomination.....
13-02-2017
AOR Received.
01-02-2017
Med's Done....
14-02-2017
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
9-11-2017
LANDED..........
Feb 8th 2018
Hello,
1. You can drive through Windsor for your landing.
2. The documents you need listed on official website. link below
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp
3. Please refer point number-2
4. Recent Bank statement letters will suffice.
5. You can drive your personal U.S car into Canada. Please make sure your insurance company covers any issues that can come up. You will need to export it from the US and import it into Canada. This does not need to happen at landing, though you want to make sure the car is listed on your before goods to follow form under conveyance so you do not have to pay duties on it when you do import it. In order to register it to Canada after importing, you will need to make sure it meets ALL Canadian safety guidelines and again the duration depends upon the province which you are living. Check with province specific data.
Some websites to learn about what's needed:
http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle
https://www.riv.ca/CostConsiderations.aspx

6. Technically you could land and soon leave. Informing imme authorities does not make much difference. But you need to provide Canadian address for PR card. Also once you land (first time) you cant return to Canada without PR (or PRTD). For more information
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=64&top=10
Thank you Very much for your valuable time. Vraiment merci