+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

nexus01

Aug 4, 2014
Yes You can try TD bank also they never asked me for such copies. Also dont invest day one itself all the money just deposit for 1000 dollars initially and start deposit later as segments

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
SZ84 said:
Good Day everyone;

I need a quick help from this reaaly helpfull group.

We a family of 3 (two adults & one infant) landed yesterday (08-March-2016) at Calgary international airport.
i was carrying Cash amount required for POF (20,000 CAD) .

I filled out and signed the (CROSS-BORDER CURRENCY OR MONETARY INSTRUMENT REPORT) at the immigration office but the immigration officer did not gave me a scan copy of that form after i completed it, i was also not aware that i will need copy of that form later.

but when i went to scotia bank today to open my bank account i was told that the bank needs to see the copy of that form.

is it possible to get a copy of that form now (i am not sure which office CBSA/CIC will have the original form with them so that they can give me a copy of it).

i will be really great full on any help on this issue.
You can also open an account with a smaller amount and then deposit cash gradually over time. cash can be deposited directly through ATM machines as well.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
SZ84 said:
Good Day everyone;

I need a quick help from this reaaly helpfull group.

We a family of 3 (two adults & one infant) landed yesterday (08-March-2016) at Calgary international airport.
i was carrying Cash amount required for POF (20,000 CAD) .

I filled out and signed the (CROSS-BORDER CURRENCY OR MONETARY INSTRUMENT REPORT) at the immigration office but the immigration officer did not gave me a scan copy of that form after i completed it, i was also not aware that i will need copy of that form later.

but when i went to scotia bank today to open my bank account i was told that the bank needs to see the copy of that form.

is it possible to get a copy of that form now (i am not sure which office CBSA/CIC will have the original form with them so that they can give me a copy of it).

i will be really great full on any help on this issue.
Didn't the officer write the amount (20,000 CAD) in your COPR during the landing formalities? That should be reasonable proof that you had the 20,000 in cash on you upon your arrival.

I don't think the officer is supposed to give you a copy of that form, but no harm in calling and asking.

Its a good idea to try another bank though, and to show them the COPR which states the amount you brought in. If you also have evidence of withdrawing that amount from your home country account, together with your COPR that should help tell the story.

SZ84

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-OCT-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
17-Dec-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
14-Jan-2015
Med's Request
29-July-2015
Med's Done....
28-August-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-Oct-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-NOV-2015
LANDED..........
08-March-2016
Thanks a lot everyone for your kind replies, it really helped a lot.
i called CBSA toll free number (1-800-461-9999) and the officer on phone told me to visit the CBSA inland office in Calgary to get the copy of the form. i will be going there on Monday to get a copy of the form, The officer on the phone also mentioned that i should have a copy of that form for my record.

i did managed to open a bank account and deposit all the cash using my COPR and passport copy but they still insisted that i should provide them the copy as early as possible.

@ emamabd:- the officer did not write 20,000 CAD on my COPR, i hope this will not cause any issue.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
SZ84 said:
@ emamabd:- the officer did not write 20,000 CAD on my COPR, i hope this will not cause any issue.
i don't think its a problem...but it would have made your experience a bit easier with the bank i guess. No 42. in COPR "Money in posession:" thats where the officer would normally fill in the amount you have.

Elizasalaz

Star Member
Mar 17, 2015
Hello everyone! I want to share my experience at landing.

I landed at Vancouver airpot on march 7 at 12pm. We did like 1 and a half hour waiting to pass to immigration so if your finally destination is not Vancouver make sure you have enough time for your conection flight, 3 hours at least.

Finally we made it to the counter where we told the officer that we were new immigrants, he was not impress at all and told us to go to immigration, he also saw our passports and the declaration card and then returned it to us.

Once in immigration we were very lucky because the was not line at all, even though the lady told us that half hour earlier was very crowded. we make a short line and then we were attended by a officer in an office similar to a bank. He asked us some routine questions and then asked us to sit while he was reviewing our corp and passport only.

Then he doble cheked our canadian address and was all, he didn't ask for any proof of funds, accompanying goods or goods to follow.

Then we went to take our luggage and started to look for a taxi.

After 1 week in canada all I can say is that this is a VERY expensive country, you pay for evereithing!!!! absolutly every meal cost 10$ or more, even junk food, the public transport is expensive as well, and the service of cell phone is ridiculus, so be prepared my friends.

Best luck to all

HappyFlowerChild

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2014
AOR Received.
26-02-2015
Med's Request
01-12-2015
Friends, I just received a bank draft with my landing funds. The problem is that the ID number on the bank draft is not my passport but my national ID. Will that cause any problems with cashing the bank draft in Canada? I'm going to bring my national ID with me to Canada, so they can see it. Also my name stated on the bank draft does not include my middle name, only my first name and surname.
I have absolutely no experience with cashing bank drafts, as they are no longer used in my country.

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
Elizasalaz said:
Hello everyone! I want to share my experience at landing.

I landed at Vancouver airpot on march 7 at 12pm. We did like 1 and a half hour waiting to pass to immigration so if your finally destination is not Vancouver make sure you have enough time for your conection flight, 3 hours at least.

Finally we made it to the counter where we told the officer that we were new immigrants, he was not impress at all and told us to go to immigration, he also saw our passports and the declaration card and then returned it to us.

Once in immigration we were very lucky because the was not line at all, even though the lady told us that half hour earlier was very crowded. we make a short line and then we were attended by a officer in an office similar to a bank. He asked us some routine questions and then asked us to sit while he was reviewing our corp and passport only.

Then he doble cheked our canadian address and was all, he didn't ask for any proof of funds, accompanying goods or goods to follow.

Then we went to take our luggage and started to look for a taxi.

After 1 week in canada all I can say is that this is a VERY expensive country, you pay for evereithing!!!! absolutly every meal cost 10$ or more, even junk food, the public transport is expensive as well, and the service of cell phone is ridiculus, so be prepared my friends.

Best luck to all
Hi, Canada is not that expensive a country, you picked an expensive province to land in. The cost of living in BC is very high compared to the rest of Canada. Ontario is not as high as BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskathchewan have even lower costs of living. I advise everyone to do your homework before you decide where you want to settle and be prepared for the reality when you arrive. Cheers.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
emamabd said:
I think its expensive. It will still cost you $10 in toronto for a junk meal, and public transport is quite expensive too @ $144 for 1 adult monthly pass.
Well, I have lived most of my life in India, and a few years each in UK and Germany before I moved to Canada.
And from my personal experiences, I can say for sure that "costlier" or "cheaper" are very subjective terms.

There are always few things which are cheaper in a country but costlier in other.
But at the end of the day, I felt that it always evens out if you take the average.

However, no matter which country you are in, living in bigger cities is always going to be costlier than living in smaller towns in the same country.
From my very recent experience of living in Frankfurt, before I moved to downtown Toronto, I can say that I was paying much more rent in Frankfurt. For what I was paying in Frankfurt for a single room apartment, I got a 1 room plus spacious den condo in a high rise in downtown Toronto. I also found public transport to be cheaper in Toronto than Frankfurt. On the other hand, groceries and green vegetables were significantly cheaper in Frankfurt. Also inter city buses in Germany were cheaper. For as little as 8 Euros, I could go to Zurich from Frankfurt.
So eventually, when I consider the overall picture, I find 2 cities to be more or less the same.

yesh007p

Star Member
May 21, 2014
I am going to Toronto for 2 weeks to complete my landing formalities. I have no plans of moving to Canada for good yet. So I don't want to take the full amount required as proof of funds.
We're a family of 3 and I am thinking of taking 5k CAD$ with me and take my bank statement (indian bank) for proof of rest of the money.

Will this suffice? I am leaving in a couple of days so a quick response will be really helpful.

Please guys I need urgent advise regarding this above issue.
Thanks Seniors and fellow applicants...

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Pipis Husband said:
Hi, Canada is not that expensive a country, you picked an expensive province to land in. The cost of living in BC is very high compared to the rest of Canada. Ontario is not as high as BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskathchewan have even lower costs of living. I advise everyone to do your homework before you decide where you want to settle and be prepared for the reality when you arrive. Cheers.
I think its expensive. It will still cost you $10 in toronto for a junk meal, and public transport is quite expensive too @ $141 for 1 adult monthly pass.

nexus01

Aug 4, 2014
Hi yesh007p

I think you will have to carry full amount which you have declared in the EE application to complete your landing formalities. Guys who landed already may give you better inputs.... :) :) :)

All the very best....!!!... ;) ;) ;)

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
alok4best said:
There are always few things which are cheaper in a country but costlier in other.
But at the end of the day, I felt that it always evens out if you take the average.

However, no matter which country you are in, living in bigger cities is always going to be costlier than living in smaller towns in the same country.
that was my point, its very true that vancouver is expensive, but i wouldn't say toronto is "much" cheaper.

I would think the main difference between the two would be housing costs, with Vancouver's average price for a house is $1.8 million and Toronto at $1.07 million..i can't afford a house in both so to me both are very expensive!

Uniquesid

Sep 14, 2015
I will be landing at Toronto on 1st of April.

1) Do I need to carry photograph's for PR card ? If yes, what are the specifications ?
2) As 1st April is working day, will i get my SIN in airport itself ?

Can someone answer my queries ..thanks in advance