+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

QC_PEQ_Montreal

Star Member
Mar 31, 2013
Hi Steaky, thanks for your info.

I completed my landing today, March 26th, 2014. I am under the Quebec Skill Worker category. I also share my experience in this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/quebec-peq-lets-share-experience-t140346.375.html

I think my detailed experience for landing would be helpful for you guys as well specially if your target province is Quebec and you go with your own car from within Canada to Champlain/Lacolle Border.

1. How to get there? and how to pass the US gate and come back?

Drive all the way down Highway 15 South till you reach the U.S. border, namely the Champlain-St. Bernard de Lacolle Border Crossing. Firstly, you will pass the duty free before reaching the US gates, then you will see there is U-Turn marked as "Nexus and Immigration" on your left which you can use to go back to Canada without being rejected by US. But be aware!:

I tried this first U-Turn in the first place, however, when I reached the Canada gates, the Canadian official said I HAVE to go to the US because landing can only be done when you're "entering" Canada, that means, you HAVE to get rejected by US (someone in this forum said basically they give you a paper stating that they refused entry based on administrative rules or something. The guy said that it doesn't matter if you have a valid US visa or not, they will give you a refusal because you're only here for landing). So if you just take a U-turn before the border, you haven't really left Canada so you can't do your landing.

So once again, we took another round to head to the US gates with the and had to spend more time queuing. I told the US official that we need to return to Canada immediately to validate our Confirmation of Permanent Residence. The US official took our Passports and CPRs, after several minutes he gave back those documents plus a letter. Then he told me to take another U-Turn which is just on the left of the US gates. It is the second U-Turn that really worked for us!

2. How they process you at the Canada gate?

So basically we returned to the Canada side with passports + CPRs + letter were queuing again at the Canada gate. Once reached the gate, I informed the officer that we need to validate our CPRs. So he asked some basic questions (such as: is this your car?) and took our passports and CPRs, then he gave me a yellow page and we need to park our car in #2 parking lot after the gate and go to office.

3. How they process you at the Immigration Office?

When you get into the immigration office, the left counter is the immigration counter. One officer will process you.

Q1. Do you have your passports, CPRs, and CSQs?
I gave him the passports and CPRs.
Seated and waited to be called.
Q2. Do you have your CSQs?
Found the CSQs and gave to him, he took a brief look and return them to me.
Q3. Who is the principal applicant?
Me.
Q4. Are you still working? Where are you working? What is the company name?
Yes. I am a .... I am working in ..... do you want to see my name card? (He said no)
Q5. Bank statement?
I gave him the most recent bank statement with both names on it. He took it and looked at it. At the same time, I handed him my employment offer letter which states my salary, he took it and look at it.
Q6. What is your address?
I gave him my cover letter, the address is on the head letter.
Q7. Did you submit your application to extend your stay (WP extension)? Did you submit it before your current WP expired? (He is concerning about my implied status)
Yes. I submitted it last year on ....., now it is still pending. (at the same time, I showed him the printed out average processing time for WP extension, he took it and look at it).
Q8. Did you pay the fee? Show me the payment receipt.
Yes, I took the whole application package out and handed to him. Indicated to him the payment receipt, proof of mailing and successful delivery record. He took the package and looked at it.
Seated again and waited to be called.
Q9. Do you have the past permit? I need all of your original past permit.
I gave him all of the original study permit and work permit, he took them away (including the most recent one on the passport), and never return to me. For my husband, he only have copies of those permits, the officer did not say much about this.
Seated again and waited to be called.
Q10. Please read this part (basically no criminal on the IMM 5688), initial your name beside your answer, and sign.
We read before him, wrote <no>, initialed it, and then signed it.

Then he said Welcome to Canada Cheesy, and said a few things for us to pay attention to:
1. He crossed the Immigration Visa, said we should receive our Maple Card in 6-8 weeks, but the CPR paper is NOT a travel document.
2. We should live in Canada 730 days every 5 years.
3. Everytime we enter the POE, the CBSA will exam whether we had fulfill the residential obligation from that day <backward> 5 years time.

Then we moved to the next counter for the custom, basically entering your belonging in your country of origin which you want to bring in future.

Does anyone know who I should contact to get my Maple Card faster? Which department should I contact? CPP-Ottawa or the CBSA at the border? Because I want to get it before April 18 for travelling to the US for the Easter Holiday, and my US visa is going to expire on April 21st!!
6-8 weeks would be too long for me. Wink

steaky said:
Yes, this poster done something similar in the past:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t117956.0.html

I suggest you show as much money as you can or the amount stated in the website. Yes, you can bring things duty free as long as you have the intention of establishing for the first time a residence first time for a period not less than 12 months. See this website for details:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
QC_PEQ_Montreal said:
Does anyone know who I should contact to get my Maple Card faster? Which department should I contact? CPP-Ottawa or the CBSA at the border? Because I want to get it before April 18 for travelling to the US for the Easter Holiday, and my US visa is going to expire on April 21st!!
6-8 weeks would be too long for me. Wink
Nice post.

PR Card is processed by CIC and unfortunately there is no process in place to expedite the processing time for new immigrant. You could try giving CIC call center a call and explaining your urgency, however I doubt it will help.

If you are planning to drive to US in your own car, then you do not need the PR card. You can return to Canada with your COPR document. If you will be going by air or by bus then you need the PR card.

Regards,

jppbaku

May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ABU DHABI
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
IELTS Request
NA
Passport Req..
03-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-02-2013
LANDED..........
17-03-2014
Hi friends
Im planning to land with my wife and kid and complete PR formalities next month.Im planning to stay only 1week and go back with my family after landing.Because my wife need to gain 6 month clinical experience from any hospital back home to complete her nursing registration in canada...If I go back after 1 week of landing will it affect PR card processing?

Please advice

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
jppbaku said:
Hi friends
Im planning to land with my wife and kid and complete PR formalities next month.Im planning to stay only 1week and go back with my family after landing.Because my wife need to gain 6 month clinical experience from any hospital back home to complete her nursing registration in canada...If I go back after 1 week of landing will it affect PR card processing?

Please advice
don't tell the officer at immigration that u r there for few days. otherwise they will not process ur PR card. arrange with ur friends to deliver PR to u in ur residence country. better one person stay longer than other to get PR by hand

QC_PEQ_Montreal

Star Member
Mar 31, 2013
Hi Rizmayo, thanks for your info. Yes, I am going to drive my own car to US. I am leaving on April 17 or 18th, and come back on April 21. Do you think there will be a problem at the US gate since my US visa will expire exactly the same day of the return day, April 21.

Also, do you happen to know the relevant regulation about this point: drive to US in your own car, then you do not need the PR card. You can return to Canada with your COPR document. I believe there must be some regulation or rule on the official website of CIC.

Cheers ;)

rizmayo said:
Nice post.

PR Card is processed by CIC and unfortunately there is no process in place to expedite the processing time for new immigrant. You could try giving CIC call center a call and explaining your urgency, however I doubt it will help.

If you are planning to drive to US in your own car, then you do not need the PR card. You can return to Canada with your COPR document. If you will be going by air or by bus then you need the PR card.

Regards,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
QC_PEQ_Montreal said:
Hi Rizmayo, thanks for your info. Yes, I am going to drive my own car to US. I am leaving on April 17 or 18th, and come back on April 21. Do you think there will be a problem at the US gate since my US visa will expire exactly the same day of the return day, April 21.

Also, do you happen to know the relevant regulation about this point: drive to US in your own car, then you do not need the PR card. You can return to Canada with your COPR document. I believe there must be some regulation or rule on the official website of CIC.

Cheers ;)
No issue with the US visa as long as the I-94 issued by CBP on entry is still valid.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
QC_PEQ_Montreal said:

Cheers ;)
You won't have any problem.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

Regards,

reimfr

Apr 7, 2011
Hi Rizmayo- I hope you or someone else can help me with a confusing part of the Ontario Health rules.
We plan to land around June 1, 1014 with our COPR. Do we first have to establish permanent residency by staying for 153 days and then wait three more month for health coverage in Ontario? It appears that is the way it works. Thanks.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
reimfr,

The 3-month wait period for health coverage starts right away, from day of landing/arriving in Ontario. (intention of residing in Ontario permanently is what they want to hear.....but you can leave for some periods to finish/wind up things back home if necessary)

Once you have the documents necessary to apply health card, you can apply/register for health card right away.
They will let you know what date your coverage will start, and the health cards will arrive in the mail a couple of days before coverage starts.

See: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/

Make sure you buy private health insurance for the first 90 days in Ontario for everyone in family.....

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
reimfr said:
Hi Rizmayo- I hope you or someone else can help me with a confusing part of the Ontario Health rules.
We plan to land around June 1, 1014 with our COPR. Do we first have to establish permanent residency by staying for 153 days and then wait three more month for health coverage in Ontario? It appears that is the way it works. Thanks.
Hope canvis2006's response has answered your question.

To add, technically you can only be away from Ontario for 30 days during your first 6 months. So you should not apply for health cards if u are planning on only completing your landing now and coming back later.

Regards,

JDC2011

Oct 18, 2011
Hi! anyone can help me. I know I have read a post about this unfortunately can't remember the reply. I am sorry if I have to ask again. If anyone can help me as soon as possible as I am purchasing now our tickets. I would really appreciate.

I am planning to purchase a ticket in KLM going to Edmonton. According to the flight details, it arrives Calgary at 13:30H then departs to Edmonton at 16:35H. Are we going to do our landing in Calgary even if our end destination is Edmonton? If yes, the time difference is it already fine for the landing?

There is another flight at 20:00H to Edmonton, is it advisable to take this flight instead of the 16:35H?

Or we can do our landing in Edmonton and take the 16:35H flight?

Thanks a lot for all your help

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
JDC2011 said:
Hi! anyone can help me. I know I have read a post about this unfortunately can't remember the reply. I am sorry if I have to ask again. If anyone can help me as soon as possible as I am purchasing now our tickets. I would really appreciate.

I am planning to purchase a ticket in KLM going to Edmonton. According to the flight details, it arrives Calgary at 13:30H then departs to Edmonton at 16:35H. Are we going to do our landing in Calgary even if our end destination is Edmonton? If yes, the time difference is it already fine for the landing?

There is another flight at 20:00H to Edmonton, is it advisable to take this flight instead of the 16:35H?

both are in Alberta, both the airports must have landing facility. but as u have to take local seat in Calgary therefore landing formalities will be done in Calgary.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
JDC2011 said:

3 hours is more than enough.
Leave it as it is. It should not take so long for formalities, and besides, the next flight is domestic flight so all you need to do is to proceed to the domestic gates........In case you miss it, they will put you on the next flight.....
our Family members landed at Toronto Pearson and even they were out in 1 hour time after plane landed, and pearson is a very very busy airport for international arrivals. Canadian immigration is pretty fast in processing people(normally)

meena1208

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
15-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2014
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
My landing experience...

Drove on 28th march, Friday at 7.15 PM from Toronto to peace bridge. Reached US border at 8.45 PM, there were no other car at the security booth, told the US border agent that came here to do landing process, they gave administration refusal letter. Did not allowed even to get down from Car!. They opened the small gate to take U-turn back to Canada. Paid $3.50 at the entrance and drive back to Canadian border. It was pretty empty at the Canadian side too, informed the Canadian border agent that I am here for doing the landing formality, he gave the yellow slip and informed to go at the immigration bldg on the left. Went in to the immigration bldg, the immigration officer took the CoPR , passport and piece of address proof (gave the driving license), asked to wait for sometime. After 15 mins, called back, asked to initial at two places and sign at the very end. He gave the 5 mins speech about the rights and obligations and that all!

I would like to thank each and every member of this forum for sharing there experiences and timelines which help to keep the motivation during this journey to get the PR