+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnyusa said:
Hi rslcanada,

I completed my landing at niagra falls on sept 16 and everything went fine. As suggested by you, i told them that we are going to stay in Canada and they said that you will get the card in 4-6 weeks. I also applied for SIN number and now i am back in usa. Is there a way to track your PR Card online? Also did you get your card or still waiting? Thanks!
You can check other member's PR card arrival timeline here:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-card-arrival-timeline-t73191.270.html

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In downtown Vancouver, 1 Bedroom rental about $1300, fido mobile phone $15-35/month, 2 lettuce/spinach for $1 etc.

There are no limits how much money you can bring into Canada. Just that if you are bringing cash while crossing border, you have to declare any amounts over $10,000.

arjignesh said:
Dear Seniors,

How much expense we can expect for couple with normal 1BHK appt. rent and average food (VEG) tele.net etc..

I know it depends upon choice but i just wanted to know some experience.

Because I will be carrying the fund exactly CIC has mentioned not more than that..so i was confused whether it will be sufficient or not.

arjignesh

Jan 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
27-03-2012
steaky said:
In downtown Vancouver, 1 Bedroom rental about $1300, fido mobile phone $15-35/month, 2 lettuce/spinach for $1 etc.

There are no limits how much money you can bring into Canada. Just that if you are bringing cash while crossing border, you have to declare any amounts over $10,000.

Thanks for reply but Do you have any idea about Toronto?

WPG Canada 11

Star Member
Oct 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ABU DHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20/01/2010
Nomination.....
24/12/2009
AOR Received.
20/02/2010
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
01/06/2011
Med's Done....
17/07/2011
Passport Req..
17/08/2011
VISA ISSUED...
23/08/2011
Qorax

Thanks a lot dear.

L

Luvdubai

steaky said:
B4a is just a continuation of B4. If you are not sure how to fill it out, just prepare a list of items on separate piece of paper (preferably in excel format) and then handover them to the customs officer with the uncompleted forms. The officer will help you complete.

The list shall be in this format:

S/N Description Category Remarks Make Quantity Value for duty (CAD) Years of Possession
1 IPAD2 Appliance Ship Apple 1 200 6 months
Thank you Steaky for your reply.
however,,
1.I still do not know What to put in there. Is the list for the stuff I am bringing in later (like imported) or do I have to include the things in my suitcases?
2. should the list include even clothes or mainly things like appliances and jewelery?

Thnx
Appreciate your help.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Luvdubai said:
Thank you Steaky for your reply.
however,,
1.I still do not know What to put in there. Is the list for the stuff I am bringing in later (like imported) or do I have to include the things in my suitcases?
2. should the list include even clothes or mainly things like appliances and jewelery?

Thnx
Appreciate your help.
Any items you are bringing it now, remark "Accompanying" and those bringing in later, remark "Ship". Yes, include clothes (like the number of boxes, instead piece by piece) and jewelry (with photos and valuation).

arjignesh

Jan 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
27-03-2012
steaky said:
Any items you are bringing it now, remark "Accompanying" and those bringing in later, remark "Ship". Yes, include clothes (like the number of boxes, instead piece by piece) and jewelry (with photos and valuation).

Is it true that Jeweleries first time only allowed as duty free?

Second time onwards they charge you custom duty..

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
steaky said:
Hey Qorax,

Are you sure?

Last time my BC lawyer told me that with my overseas license, regardless rented car or personal vehicle, I could drive in BC up to 90 days of moving here. Here's the relevant webpage:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/moving-dl/other_most

Besides, when I first move here I bought a car from a dealer, got it registered and insured using my overseas license and no-claim letters, and drove the car back home. ICBC had no issues about that.

For (3), is it just Ontario? In BC, you can get a interim L License after you pass the knowledge test. If you pass the road test, you can get a interim class 5 License and get the regular in 8 days.
Hi,

At least in Ontario our IDP/IDL lets us drive for 3 months... whereas, as a PR we could drive thru our overseas license - but for 2 months only. Besides, as a PR [not as a 'visitor']-- yes we could drive our 'own' car [if we could buy one that is - more on it later] thru our overseas DL, while the IDP lets us drive 'only' a rented one. --a catch-22 situation I guess

Like I said, buying isn't a problem, 'coz the dealer/seller wants our money right? But, obtaining the "License Plate" is another ball game - at least in Ontario. For the L/Plate we need a Canadian Auto-Insurance > for the Canadian A/Insurance we need a Canadian D/L... we can't get a Canadian Auto-Insurance with our overseas D/L or IDP/IDL... off course an US D/L is acceptable by the Canadian Insurers... but not others. --another vicious cycle I guess

Yes, that's in Ontario. Here, we get a 'full waiver' with a 24 months overseas driving experience... which could lead to a direct "G" license... off course having passed the written & eye test though ! Just that the G2 Road Test could be waived - for just once. If we do not make it in this 'direct' G r/test -- we have an option to attempt the G2 r/test, again w/out the mandatory wait... in fact could be done the very next day, if there's an appointment though !

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
arjignesh said:
Dear Seniors,

How much expense we can expect for couple with normal 1BHK appt. rent and average food (VEG) tele.net etc..

I know it depends upon choice but i just wanted to know some experience.

Because I will be carrying the fund exactly CIC has mentioned not more than that..so i was confused whether it will be sufficient or not.
In Toronto:

- House Rent [1BR]: $1000-1400/month depending on locations. (however, a 1BR one is hard to find... usually it'd be a 2BR)
- Tele/Internet: $66.99/month (bundle, with FREE 'unlimited' international calls to 62 countries - my package!)
- Cellphone: $29/month (unlimited GTA, thru Windmobile)
- Cable TV: $55/++month (basic package)
- Public Transportation: $250-350/month (rough estimates, including job hunt/s)
- Basic Food: $800-1200/month (depending on frugal, but manageable estimates)

With exactly the CIC guided settlement funds u'd have a tough time managing.

Qorax

soby

Mar 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 15, 2009
Doc's Request.
Oct 30, 2009
AOR Received.
Feb18, 2010
File Transfer...
Nov 3, 2009
Med's Request
March 4, 2011
Med's Done....
March 19 & 26, 2011
Interview........
Jan 30, 2011
Passport Req..
Sept 15, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 19, 2011 (PP Submitted on 13/10 received on 20/10)
LANDED..........
March 2, 2012
qorax said:
In Toronto:

- House Rent [1BR]: $1000-1400/month depending on locations. (however, a 1BR one is hard to find... usually it'd be a 2BR)
- Tele/Internet: $66.99/month (bundle, with FREE 'unlimited' international calls to 62 countries - my package!)
- Cellphone: $29/month (unlimited GTA, thru Windmobile)
- Cable TV: $55/++month (basic package)
- Public Transportation: $250-350/month (rough estimates, including job hunt/s)
- Basic Food: $800-1200/month (depending on frugal, but manageable estimates)

With exactly the CIC guided settlement funds u'd have a tough time managing.

Qorax
Thanks Capt for a precise answer.
In nut shell we can assume that with 20K with us we are good to go for a six months without any income (If 6 months go without any surprises !!)
Thanks
Soby

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
soby said:
Thanks Capt for a precise answer.
In nut shell we can assume that with 20K with us we are good to go for a six months without any income (If 6 months go without any surprises !!)
Thanks
Soby
Unfortunately, 'surprises' could/would be many !

Remember though, the following aren't added:
- Car instalments [if u buy one -- MUST in GTA !]
- Auto Insurance payments
- Parking Fees
- Evening out/s
- Sight-seeing
- Home furnishings, furnitures & assortments
- Clothing purchases (especially in Winters)
- Purchasing personal-effects
- Hydro & Heat (if u go overboard)

Etc.

johnyusa

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
steaky said:
You can check other member's PR card arrival timeline here:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-card-arrival-timeline-t73191.270.html
thanks steaky, i guess it takes more than 6 weeks from the posts i read there.

arjignesh

Jan 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
27-03-2012
Thank U captain for exact answer......

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arjignesh said:

Is it true that Jeweleries first time only allowed as duty free?

Second time onwards they charge you custom duty..
Yes, unless they did not "detect". If you try to lie that they are cheap imitations, I heard they will destroy the "imitation" in front of you.

arjignesh

Jan 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
27-03-2012
steaky said:
Yes, unless they did not "detect". If you try to lie that they are cheap imitations, I heard they will destroy the "imitation" in front of you.

This is shocking ...
Means we have to take all the jewelery at the first time because I was thinking not to take it with me as it is safe at back home until we settle there and when we will visit again that time carry with me.