+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience - Calgary Alberta

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a Costco in NE area behind Sunridge mall. Medicine is cheap in Costco compare to any pharmacy in Calgary. If you don't have any insurance, Costco is the best place for your medicine. If you have a large family, Costco might be your one stop shopping place instead of shopping around for sale.

Some of my friends are living in UK and I heard from them that people in UK buy expensive stuff even though they cannot afford the product, use them and after that they return it. I don't think this is a customer service issue instead of customer issue. In Canada, you cannot expect those type of customer services too much.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
scorpion_ca said:
There is a Costco in NE area behind Sunridge mall. Medicine is cheap in Costco compare to any pharmacy in Calgary. If you don't have any insurance, Costco is the best place for your medicine. If you have a large family, Costco might be your one stop shopping place instead of shopping around for sale.

Some of my friends are living in UK and I heard from them that people in UK buy expensive stuff even though they cannot afford the product, use them and after that they return it. I don't think this is a customer service issue instead of customer issue. In Canada, you cannot expect those type of customer services too much.
In UK if you buy any home appliances you can buy 2-3 year protection on them , means buy £100 printer. Or £ 10 hair dryer. Pay 15-20% extra in name of accedental cover and use with peace of mind. If it became faulty or fall down or break etc then go and change it or get shop voucher of same value immideately. Here i just saw similer cover at walmart when i buy microwave and pther electrical but that too not cover accidental damage.

I looking ahead to take costco membership. I feel $ 50 is worth for a year .

In Uk we use to get money from bank account like halifax use to give £10 every month for just getting my salary in that account . Banking/ chq book / any atm withdraw use to be free. If we took chargable account 7-15£ monthly they use to come with over 50£ free benifits like breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance, free travel insurance , free extended warrentey , card protection cover extra and even free foriegn atm withdrawal . Not like Ca bank acc who charge for everything .

You say its customer issue ? I feel its customer service , they treat and beleave - customer is boss .
Here customer service is rippp off.

Mobile services is eg. Its worst and amongst most exp in world.
They expect us to pay 70-80$ for services which one could get in 10£-15€.

Medicine and pharma industries - amongst expensive.

Healthcare insurace - why we even needed one , after paying taxes and SI . Need to pay 100$ approx for HI Plus such high deductable of 20% even if you got health insurance it dont cover loads of over counter medicines.

Its not that i had prob with these , till i earn good i will happly pay for these but these shoud not be in first place. I dont mind paying little bit more % extra on PST or IT but dont like paying at 10 diffrent place again again . Plus when dozens of similer European country can manage these then why not Canada .

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........

Hopefully many of you know about cheap voip telephone option ,
Magic jack. Nettalk etc.
They are worth if you got broadband at home .
Can be use to call over 60 country for just under 10$ a month plus instrument cost $ 49 .
Also worth as you can take your number whereever you move. Within canada or even outsite canada .
Much better then paying for landline as it offer free canada us calls for 30$ a year approx. first year free with instrument purchase .

You can buy and give this to you home overseas and they can call you for free .

Please see link below for more info
http://www.nettalk.com/en/duo

http://www.magicjack.com/plus-v05/

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2012/06/22/6390882.htm

Though i dont use thease as i use Reliance global for calling abroad for $15 a month usig my mobile.
And Dell Voice /fongo app for free Ca calls and incoming landline number on my iphone /ipad .
But i am thinking to replace it with nettalk wifi.

I just come across these when one of my friend recommend me these. Havent own them or used them so please dont point on me if you feel these are waste of money devices .pleaae Read research think and decide yourself before getting them .

I feeling to get one and send to my home in India. Just 199$ first year then $150 a year (7500 rs ) and they can call anywhere in India free , free US , Canada and 60 country worldwide. Better then Bsnl , mtnl and airtel. (Under 625 rs a month )

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Aquib said:
In UK if you buy any home appliances you can buy 2-3 year protection on them , means buy £100 printer. Or £ 10 hair dryer. Pay 15-20% extra in name of accedental cover and use with peace of mind. If it became faulty or fall down or break etc then go and change it or get shop voucher of same value immideately. Here i just saw similer cover at walmart when i buy microwave and pther electrical but that too not cover accidental damage.
Take this as someone that has insider information about those protection plans. They are a waste of money. I hate having to push their sales because I knew what a rip off they were. The only items they may be of use on are appliances.

Sadly, though, my team always won the contests selling them because I was a strong motivator.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
amikety said:
Take this as someone that has insider information about those protection plans. They are a waste of money. I hate having to push their sales because I knew what a rip off they were. The only items they may be of use on are appliances.

Sadly, though, my team always won the contests selling them because I was a strong motivator.
Yes Home appliences protection plan are worth money mostly esp if its expensive appliences .

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aquib said:
Yes Home appliences protection plan are worth money mostly esp if its expensive appliences .
I bought two laptops and paid $325 for three years protection plan for each laptop. There was a manufacturer warranty for 1st year. Basically the plan was for two more years. Those HP laptops are five years old now and I never have any problem with those laptops. I lost $650 for those so called protection plan.

I also paid $70 for two years protection plan for $150 of cell phone set couple of years ago. There was no problem with that set. Again, I lost $70 for the protection plan.

When I bought those plans, I was newcomer in Canada. I have learnt a great lesson and I don't buy anymore so called protection plan because nowadays company makes most of the money on this plan. I think if something happens with the product, it would be happened within a year that is already covered by manufacturer warranty.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
scorpion_ca said:
I bought two laptops and paid $325 for three years protection plan for each laptop. There was a manufacturer warranty for 1st year. Basically the plan was for two more years. Those HP laptops are five years old now and I never have any problem with those laptops. I lost $650 for those so called protection plan.

I also paid $70 for two years protection plan for $150 of cell phone set couple of years ago. There was no problem with that set. Again, I lost $70 for the protection plan.

When I bought those plans, I was newcomer in Canada. I have learnt a great lesson and I don't buy anymore so called protection plan because nowadays company makes most of the money on this plan. I think if something happens with the product, it would be happened within a year that is already covered by manufacturer warranty.

Protection plan with accidental cover - normally cost 20-30% addition of price.
And i only buy to use my device like .........);
In past bought 400£ nikon camera with 3 year protection for cover for extra £119.95 from argos UK. After 2 year its fell down while climbing snowdonia mountains in wales and its got broken. I got 400£ vouchers from that protection and i bought £650 worth sony Nex 5 camera that time .

Apple Macbook Air - bought for £999 and £ 299.99 protection. After 23 month my daughter jump on it when small and its got damage. I got new model Mac book air (1099.99£ model paying only 100£ on top ).

iPhones and ipad cover from home insurance but i still got apple protection £60 on top for 2 years,
Currently last week by my daughter hand iphone got slip and its back glass got crush , just need to go apple to get it replace. Also definately at end of 23 month i will take my iphone, ipad etc and when they check battery it will be less then 50% (i bet its always under 50% after 15-20 months) and thats cover in there protection plan and apple will simply give you other device (factory refurbish sealed pack from box ) and that i can sell for 85-90% price and can easily buy new model device for me .

Yes some time Things remain fine after 36 months and your money got waste but if you use your device lots then most of time 3 year is long time to go with them .

I never keep any laptop , tablets, mobile , home cinema , camera , printer and even small home appliences etc more then 1-3 years. Prefer selling them and upgrade to new model where ever possable

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Abuse, such as your child jumping on the product, is not covered by those plans.

You're lucky they accepted your claim.

Accidental drops are covered. Not abuse.

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aquib said:
Protection plan with accidental cover - normally cost 20-30% addition of price.
And i only buy to use my device like .........);
In past bought 400£ nikon camera with 3 year protection for cover for extra £119.95 from argos UK. After 2 year its fell down while climbing snowdonia mountains in wales and its got broken. I got 400£ vouchers from that protection and i bought £650 worth sony Nex 5 camera that time .

Apple Macbook Air - bought for £999 and £ 299.99 protection. After 23 month my daughter jump on it when small and its got damage. I got new model Mac book air (1099.99£ model paying only 100£ on top ).

iPhones and ipad cover from home insurance but i still got apple protection £60 on top for 2 years,
Currently last week by my daughter hand iphone got slip and its back glass got crush , just need to go apple to get it replace. Also definately at end of 23 month i will take my iphone, ipad etc and when they check battery it will be less then 50% (i bet its always under 50% after 15-20 months) and thats cover in there protection plan and apple will simply give you other device (factory refurbish sealed pack from box ) and that i can sell for 85-90% price and can easily buy new model device for me .

Yes some time Things remain fine after 36 months and your money got waste but if you use your device lots then most of time 3 year is long time to go with them .

I never keep any laptop , tablets, mobile , home cinema , camera , printer and even small home appliences etc more then 1-3 years. Prefer selling them and upgrade to new model where ever possable
Buddy you are in a wrong place now, this is Canada not UK. Sometimes company doesn't even accept legitimate claim here. I would request to adopt you Canadian culture though it might be tough for you. However, you will be benefited. :D

rundung

Dec 4, 2012
scorpion_ca said:
Buddy you are in a wrong place now, this is Canada not UK. Sometimes company doesn't even accept legitimate claim here. I would request to adopt you Canadian culture though it might be tough for you. However, you will be beneficial. :D
One is forced to wonder why he even left the UK. That place sounds like a dream. ;) :D

Minnesota

Jan 29, 2011
cargo service provider from dubai/abu dhabi to calgary---aquib and others

Dear aquib,amekity or others

Are you aware of any cargo service provider with good price and reputation from dubai or abu dhabi to calgary???
I am currently living in abu dhabi and leaving for calgary on between jan 15-20,2013 permenantly due to job offer.
reply sooner
Minnesota

kur761

Feb 24, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
PILLOT OTTAWA
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-09-2007
Doc's Request.
11-03-2010
AOR Received.
22-10-2007
IELTS Request
11-03-2010
File Transfer...
11-03-2010
Med's Request
14-07-2011
Med's Done....
19-07-2011 & CHC London office rvd. on 25-07-2011
Interview........
Waive
Passport Req..
PPR RVD ON 08-03-2012 PPs. SENT 12/03/12 CHC RVD 13/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
Status has been changed to "DM" & Canadian address has also been updated.
LANDED..........
11-06-2012
Hi all,

Thanks to ALLAH PAK I came across this thread which I had been finding for last two weeks onces we made decision to move Calgary for good next year probably June,2013(INSHAA ALLAH SUMA INSHAA ALLAH).

We landed in June,2012 in GTA and found very mush crowded in every aspect. Looking for your valuable advices who have been in Calgary and working there for last couple of years.

By profession I am an accountant and having SAP system experience over 10 years. Could you please send me the important info. about flight from DXB to Calgary , cargo service from DXB to Calgary, searching house , economical hotel for initial days.

We have SIN card,PR card and have a bank account. Do landlord need PDCs. for one year OR we can pay cash on monthly basis?

Thanks for your time for reading my post and waiting for your valueable reply(ies).

Take care,

K U Rehman

ublerum

Star Member
Apr 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
8-March 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-Sept-2012 (PPR 1) 26th Oct 2012( PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
7th Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Feb-March 2013 INSHALLAH
Can someone tellme that does a basement suite in Calgary mean an underground apt or it's on the ground floor?

Harri

Feb 24, 2008
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2010
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
Med's Request
24 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
24 March 2012
Interview........
No news
Passport Req..
PPR1 7 Nov 2012, PPR2 3rd Dec 2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-Dec-2012
LANDED..........
14 Feb 2013, Calgary
Dear Forum members I am copying a news item from a Canadian newspaper Calgary Herald regarding the fradulant advertisement for rental properties on a popular free advertisement hosting website Kijiji. With this I dont mean that all are fake advertisers on this site, but becareful that scams do happen
The RCMP has issued a warning about a house and condo rental scam in Canmore.

Cpl. Darleen White with the Canmore RCMP said the detachment has received four complaints in the last few weeks about fraudulent residences for rent in the town. Two investigations have been launched.

“Canmore is a prime spot for holidays,” White said. “We just noticed it this month so I'm assuming it's geared toward the holiday season.”

She said the culprits posted ads on the classifieds website Kijiji advertising houses or condos for rent, with all money transactions completed through e-mail.

The victims were advised that 24 hours before their arrival, they would receive a pin code to enter the property.

But in one case, after thousands of dollars was transferred, all correspondence halted before a pin code could be sent.

In the second case investigated by RCMP, the would-be renter alerted RCMP before sending any funds.

None of the condos or homes being advertised are actually up for rent, White said.

“Be cautious when purchasing anything online,” she said. “And confirm that they (the people or businesses) are authentic.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/RCMP+warns+Canmore+condo+rental+scam+Kijiji/7716736/story.html#ixzz2FUblqsNy

9jcanada

Champion Member
Oct 16, 2010
Calgary Alberta
App. Filed.......
12/01/2011
AOR Received.
10/06/2011
Med's Request
09/02/2012
Med's Done....
14/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
04/05/2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
ublerum said:
Can someone tellme that does a basement suite in Calgary mean an underground apt or it's on the ground floor?
Basement units are usually below the ground floor level. They vary in sizes and designs from house to house depending on how well developed they are. Some have been purposely built for rental and these types tend to have their own separate access/doors, and utilities: kitchen b/rooms etc completely independent of the main floors. Some basement units share utilities with the main floors and may have entrance/access via the main floor.

Hope this helps.

9j