12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Aquib said:
As much I know Ontario got 90 days weight period and BC got 2-3 month weight period.
Qubec do got Weight period but for pregnant lady they cover from first day.

Not 100% sure but manitoba , Sktchwan also cover from first day .

They say if you land and get free medical / Maternity benifits etc in one state and then move to other prov before 6 month then they will follow you , but I feel 90% chance they they dont even bother where you going unless to go and tell them that you land Alberta just for medical benifits. But trust me once you stayed couple of month in Albetra , you wont feel like to go to Ontario (unless you got very close family ties there). You will come across many Ontarians who moved to Ab and after listning there experience you will prefer staying here .
Just an addition:

If you land in Calgary from an international destination, you will qualify for healthcare immediately. Basically, you have it as soon as you apply - so apply ASAP. However, if you use healthcare in Alberta, then move to another province in less than six month (and they will count the days, 92 I believe) they will bill you for services provided. You must remain in Alberta a minimum of six months.

Unless you enjoy grossly humid weather and freezing cold wind chill, you'll like Calgary better.

hussey16

Star Member
Aug 4, 2012
Sydney Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
DEC 2012
I got iPhone I need the prepaid plans which gives unlimited calling n texting as well as Internet with LTE .. Good to see both of u online aquib and amitkey

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
hussey16 said:
I got iPhone I need the prepaid plans which gives unlimited calling n texting as well as Internet with LTE .. Good to see both of u online aquib and amitkey
Is your phone unlocked/jail broken?

XubX

Nov 18, 2012
humsafar said:
Dear Xubux you can pm me, I will try to reply you questions as per my experience and to the best of my knowledge. where r u located ?
Hi, cant seem to PM as i am newbie member. I am based in Lahore

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
XubX said:
Hi, cant seem to PM as i am newbie member. I am based in Lahore
Make one more post to solve that issue.

rundung

Dec 4, 2012
Aquib, I stumbled upon this website a few days ago while "googling" about healthare in Ca.

Since then I have read through all 26 pages of this thread and what you and amikety have done here cannot be overlooked at all. This was an inspired thread as it speaks to so many of the real issues involved with relocations.

I was in Toronto for school a few years back and am not returning to Canada. But I am trying to decide between two job offers: one in Edmonton and the other in London, ON.

I know calrgary isnt Edmonton but I think it safe to use this thread as prep for Edmonton.

Keep up the fighting spirit and the positive attitude. It has paid off and it will continue to, I am a living testimony of that.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
rundung said:
Aquib, I stumbled upon this website a few days ago while "googling" about healthare in Ca.

Since then I have read through all 26 pages of this thread and what you and amikety have done here cannot be overlooked at all. This was an inspired thread as it speaks to so many of the real issues involved with relocations.

I was in Toronto for school a few years back and am not returning to Canada. But I am trying to decide between two job offers: one in Edmonton and the other in London, ON.

I know calrgary isnt Edmonton but I think it safe to use this thread as prep for Edmonton.

Keep up the fighting spirit and the positive attitude. It has paid off and it will continue to, I am a living testimony of that.
Edmonton is a hell hole compared to Calgary. Much higher rate of crime and more backwards hick mentality. Weather is awful. London will have the humidity, high cost of living, and crowds associated with the GTA... but heck, I won't live in Edmonton! However, Alberta is great so if it works out for you, welcome!

rundung

Dec 4, 2012
Its funny you should say that Amikety because I lived in London for a little and it is much cheaper than what I am seeing in Alberta (be it Calgary or Edmonton).

As for the weather, I am from the Caribbean so Canada's weather is gonna be hell for me initially (again) no matter where I end up.

All the other stuff will be given due consideration.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
rundung said:
Its funny you should say that Amikety because I lived in London for a little and it is much cheaper than what I am seeing in Alberta (be it Calgary or London).

As for the weather, I am from the Caribbean so Canada's weather is gonna be hell for me initially (again) no matter where I end up.

All the other stuff will be given due consideration.
Haha, I have a friend that lives in London too. She loves it. She's Arab and loves the cold weather! :)

calgirl31

Jan 3, 2011
Aquib said:
Hi ,
For calgary winter shoe - you can get from calgary itself. I bought from zellers as its got on sale .
But if ypu got heavy woodland type (even non branded) shoe that would be ok .

Do bring scarf , tharmo wear inners , glowes (thick ones with double or more materials) , heavey jacktes .

When you planning to land ?
Congratulation on your new addition to the family. I am waiting for passport request but hoping to land in April 13. I am planning a trip to NY though to buy some winter clothing. Thanks for taking time to respond out your busy schedule.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
amikety said:
I got a phone as a gift - my husband got an iPhone 5 so I got his iPhone 3GS. It was locked to Telus so I have Telus.... Yay?

I had to buy a new SIM card for $10 to use the phone. Very annoying. However, Telus did away with their activation fees, so I saved $10 off the top.

It's $65/month for Unlimited texting and incoming calls in Canada and the USA. I get 200 outgoing minutes. I also get ten "top numbers" that get unlimited calling all the time. (Must be Canadian numbers...according to them.) Free nights and weekends too. I rarely talk on the phone, so this works great for me. I could add international texting or calling, but I have no need. I have smartphone app called Pinger for international texting and it's free.

One word of advice - avoid Virgin Mobile. Their customer service center is awful. I had to call them once and the employees continually lied to me, including the manager.

Roger , fido , bell and telus sound RIPP offffff to me .

If you got own phone and can live without data then Chatter is best choice unlimited incoiming outgoing from 35$.
If just need data then speak out is best choice. $ 10 for unlimited data * (instant mgs and voip dont work though ) .

But again if you looking to spend on mobile phone then mobilicity is best option .
For 22.50 everything unlimited canadawide mgs and calling plus data .

I am with chatter and speakout (one for data and one for calls) .
Till i found out some good package under $ 30. Unlimited incoming , unlimited min and atleast 1 gb data and sone mgs ideally..... But cant find such deal to use on iphone .

Ay be one day someone from you come with good news of some cheaper plans .

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I think for an iPhone, minimum you'll find is around $60-$70. I know I looked hard when I got my iPhone and that was the best I found for $65.

Keep in mind the terms of the contract too. Some places will give you a phone for free or discounted if you need a new phone. Other places will make you pay full price for the phone. A lot of these places with super cheap monthly bills do that - it's only $40 a month for unlimited calling but you have to pay $500 for the phone. Windtab is like that... and if you don't pay for the phone at the beginning, your last bill will have the phone on it in one giant chunk.

Cell phones and providers are one of the biggest rip offs in Canada. It was much better at home!

If you can get a used phone or your phone from home still works in Canada (mine didn't) that is the best way to go. You can check pawn shops like Cash Converters on MacLeod Tr for used smartphones or buy them on Kijiji (if you're brave).

A lot of people also say WalMart has good, cheap options for pre-paid phones.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
Aquib said:
Roger , fido , bell and telus sound RIPP offffff to me .

If you got own phone and can live without data then Chatter is best choice unlimited incoiming outgoing from 35$.
If just need data then speak out is best choice. $ 10 for unlimited data * (instant mgs and voip dont work though ) .

But again if you looking to spend on mobile phone then mobilicity is best option .
For 22.50 everything unlimited canadawide mgs and calling plus data .

I am with chatter and speakout (one for data and one for calls) .
Till i found out some good package under $ 30. Unlimited incoming , unlimited min and atleast 1 gb data and sone mgs ideally..... But cant find such deal to use on iphone .

Ay be one day someone from you come with good news of some cheaper plans .
Hi Amitkey ,
Yup wind mobile you can get free phone on 3 year unofficial term but if you going for windrab then better is mobilecity , there you need to pay for phone upfront but plan ate cheap and better. Unfortunately those dont work on iphone . I am consedring to sell my iphone 4S and get mobilecity android insttead as cant pay 60+ $ on other plans .