+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience at Peace Bridge (March-2018)

sdeep

Apr 30, 2014
Here is my landing experience:

1. Arrived at peace bridge by rental car around 7:15 AM, officer at gate verified our passports/COPR, gave us yellow slip and instructed us to park at particular spot and go inside the building.
  2. Went inside with all our documents, an officer greeted us and told us to wait until some officer calls us.
  3. Officer called us and we gave him our Passport, COPR and a canadian address.
  4. He asked us if we have Goods to follow form (bsf186), we said yes. here is the link to the document: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.pdf
  5. We found this thread very helpful on how to fill the form, we followed the exact process, thanks @qorax https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/form-b4-goods-to-follow-accompanying-list-how-to.44793/ (Make sure you take two copies of every thing on legal size paper)
  6. First officer verified our documents, asked us couple of questions like Do you have convictions ? Was your visa denied anytime. He striked our visa took signatures on COPR and said Congratulations you are now a permanent resident of Canada. (Goose bumps moment ;)).
  7. He guided us to customs officer in a different counter where he verified our bsf186 document, infact he was stunned by the way we organized and prepared our goods to follow list along with prinouts of list and photos of ornaments (follow the link I gave on point 5 and that's all you need)
  8. Officer questioned if we also have any car to follow, we said yes, he suggested us to fill the details of car along with VIN number. He stamped on all the good list and ornament photographs and guided us to cashier.
  9. We went to cashier and she appreciated the way documents are organized, informed us that we have to carry those documents whenever we are bringing those goods and congratulated again ( Finally oooh lalala moment :cool:_
  10. Completed every thing in 30 minutes and out by 8:05 AM.
  11. Wifey and I congratulated our selves and started driving towards canada, there was toll gate where we have to pay USD $3.75 (only cash).
  12. Searched for nearby Service canada office and applied for SIN Number, it just took 5 mins
  13. Searched for nearby TD bank and applied for New Comer package (Checking, Savings and Credit card).
Happy to help if have any questions on this process.

#givingback #movenorth #toronto

Last edited:

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018

1. Arrived at peace bridge by rental car around 7:15 AM, officer at gate verified our passports/COPR, gave us yellow slip and instructed us to park at particular spot and go inside the building.
  2. Went inside with all our documents, an officer greeted us and told us to wait until some officer calls us.
  4. He asked us if we have Goods to follow form (bsf186), we said yes. here is the link to the document: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.pdf
  5. We found this thread very helpful on how to fill the form, we followed the exact process, thanks @qorax https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/form-b4-goods-to-follow-accompanying-list-how-to.44793/ (Make sure you take two copies of every thing on legal size paper)
  6. First officer verified our documents, asked us couple of questions like Do you have convictions ? Was your visa denied anytime. He striked our visa took signatures on COPR and said Congratulations you are now a permanent resident of Canada. (Goose bumps moment ;)).
  7. He guided us to customs officer in a different counter where he verified our bsf186 document, infact he was stunned by the way we organized and prepared our goods to follow list along with prinouts of list and photos of ornaments (follow the link I gave on point 5 and that's all you need)
  8. Officer questioned if we also have any car to follow, we said yes, he suggested us to fill the details of car along with VIN number. He stamped on all the good list and ornament photographs and guided us to cashier.
  9. We went to cashier and she appreciated the way documents are organized, informed us that we have to carry those documents whenever we are bringing those goods and congratulated again ( Finally oooh lalala moment :cool:_
  11. Wifey and I congratulated our selves and started driving towards canada, there was toll gate where we have to pay USD $3.75 (only cash).
  12. Searched for nearby Service canada office and applied for SIN Number, it just took 5 mins
  13. Searched for nearby TD bank and applied for New Comer package (Checking, Savings and Credit card).

Congratulations! What a helpful post! I'm going to make a copy and keep it so that when we (hopefully) get our good news, we can be prepared. Well done!

Last edited:

skeecandidate

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017

Thank you for the detailed post. Can you please help answer a few of my questions?
- Did you do a soft landing? If yes, were you able to use AVR to return to US? [Only in case you are on a visa in US]
- If it was a soft landing, were you able to apply for the PR card with a friend / relative's address in Canada?
- Did you need to carry the settlement funds / bank statements, etc.?

Appreciate your time and response!!

sdeep

Apr 30, 2014
Thank you for the detailed post. Can you please help answer a few of my questions?
- Did you do a soft landing? If yes, were you able to use AVR to return to US? [Only in case you are on a visa in US]
- If it was a soft landing, were you able to apply for the PR card with a friend / relative's address in Canada?
- Did you need to carry the settlement funds / bank statements, etc.?

Appreciate your time and response!!
1) Yes we did soft landing, we haven’t returned to us yet, not sure what is AVR form.
2) yes we are able to apply for Pr card and gave friends address but neither we have mentioned that it is a friends address nor they have asked us.
3)yes we carried financial documents showing funds , but they haven’t asked us anything .

skeecandidate

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
1) Yes we did soft landing, we haven’t returned to us yet, not sure what is AVR form.
2) yes we are able to apply for Pr card and gave friends address but neither we have mentioned that it is a friends address nor they have asked us.
3)yes we carried financial documents showing funds , but they haven’t asked us anything .
Thank you so much for the response.
FYI - My understanding is that AVR (Automatic VISA Revalidation) is used to re-enter US in case you are a non-immigrant in US and do not have a stamped US VISA on your passport.

tracyz

Jan 18, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
2017-03-07
Med's Request
2018-02-09 Add documents
Med's Done....
2018-03-21 passed
Passport Req..
2018-03-22
Congraduations !
Thanks for sharing landing experience.
would you mind me to ask, are you live outside Canada so the border asked you to file bsf186?
As I am living in Canada for years, i am not sure which goods i will want to ship to Canada, maybe nothing.
So do i need file bsf186 when i do my landing?

pk46

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hello Sandeep.

We are planning to use AVR (since there is no choice :D).

I Have you completed soft landing?

Malibi

May 30, 2018
Quick question for which I haven't found an answer yet,
I am planning to carry no cash or very little for soft landing from US. However, I want to transfer funds later to Canadian bank account. Do I enter all the bank account balances, stock(vested/not vested), property investments, 401K savings etc in b4 form as well? If not where do I declare this?

Do I need to carry any cash at all for landing when I know my cards will work?

Malibi

May 30, 2018
One more question, do we need to take PR photos to submit for PR cardbor they will take a picture for us. I think this process has slightly changed ?

Malibi

May 30, 2018
One more question, do we need to take PR photos to submit for PR cardbor they will take a picture for us. I think this process has recently changed?

chinky87

Oct 22, 2018
Hi,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a few questions for you as I am traveling next week.

1- I have heard that COPR landing from US only happens on Tuesday, Wen and Thursday is that true?
2- Do I have to complete the jewelry appraisal? I have listed everything good to follow but I was not sure about the jewelry appraisal.
3- While you enter back in US, what kind of document US officer ask you?

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
1- I have heard that COPR landing from US only happens on Tuesday, Wen and Thursday is that true?
This is not true. I went on Nov 3 , Saturday , reached around 7pm and my PR Card application was filled without any issue
2- Do I have to complete the jewelry appraisal? I have listed everything good to follow but I was not sure about the jewelry appraisal.
I took photo of all jewellery items but officer did not ask for it. I listed most of my stuff in GTF list.
There were only clothes, and kids items like stroller, car seats in Goods Accompanying list.
Officer only asked for GTF list.

3- While you enter back in US, what kind of document US officer ask you?
I was asked regular questions like when did you leave US, where do you live and what kind of Visa you hold.
It will be questions asked while you are in the car, so nothing much.

Here is my landing experience to get some more information if you need.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-from-us-to-canada-by-road-peace-bridge.594970/

chinky87

Oct 22, 2018
Thank you so much for response.

I am just little worried as My visa is expired. I am planning to come back to US on the same day.

Employer A has filed my H1b and it's valid till 2019, but Employer A acquired by Employer B and transfer is still in process. While entering back in the US if the officer asked my Passport and I797 what should I give them? Also do they issue new I94 or just stamped in the passport.

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Thank you so much for response.

I am just little worried as My visa is expired. I am planning to come back to US on the same day.

Employer A has filed my H1b and it's valid till 2019, but Employer A acquired by Employer B and transfer is still in process. While entering back in the US if the officer asked my Passport and I797 what should I give them? Also do they issue new I94 or just stamped in the passport.
CBP Office will surely ask for your passport and Visa stamp in it. If Visa is expired, you need to have I797 with you.
AVR lets some visitors to travel to Canada ( and re enter US ) with expired visa as well. Please see if you qualify as per this
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1218/~/automatic-revalidation-for-certain-temporary-visitors

I assume your H1B Extension is done and it is only the acquisition from Employer A to B concerning you. In that case, have a letter from your HR stating this change in name of company has happened.

They won't stamp your passport but your I94 will show the new date when you re enter US

Fabosso

Apr 12, 2018

My family and I are doing our landing from USA to Ontario. We are not exporting our car (going by rental).
We are not American permanent residents. Do we need to present our american status/visa? Do I have to carry it with me? DO we deal with US Customs in any point?
Congrats =)