+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing etiquette/process for applicants outside Canada

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I received my CoPR and PP and currently working in the U.S. I would like to know exactly how to go ahead with landing:

- documents needed (passport with visa, CoPR)
- do I need a new bank statement coz I do not want to carry cash and I would rather do a wire transfer once I have a Canadian bank ac
- I'm guessing I do not need a return flight ticket
- I'm also taking a list of goods that I would like to declare(which I may be brining into the country via movers) things like my car, bed, furniture,TV etc

So what's the correct way of doing this? Can someone with experience please share.
Also on a side note should I wait till January or make a move in novem/December

I'm scared that I might not get a job since the holiday season is coming up and end up with a unskilled seasonal job? I've talked to a few recruiting firms in Canada and they tell me that January would be the peak season for new job openings
Thnx

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
carl321 said:
I received my CoPR and PP and currently working in the U.S. I would like to know exactly how to go ahead with landing:

- documents needed (passport with visa, CoPR)
- do I need a new bank statement coz I do not want to carry cash and I would rather do a wire transfer once I have a Canadian bank ac
- I'm guessing I do not need a return flight ticket
- I'm also taking a list of goods that I would like to declare(which I may be brining into the country via movers) things like my car, bed, furniture,TV etc

So what's the correct way of doing this? Can someone with experience please share.
Also on a side note should I wait till January or make a move in novem/December

I'm scared that I might not get a job since the holiday season is coming up and end up with a unskilled seasonal job? I've talked to a few recruiting firms in Canada and they tell me that January would be the peak season for new job openings
Thnx
Take your bank statements and list of goods to follow. You can fly into Canada and do your landing there, or drive to a border and do it that way, if you are in the northern US.

You have to LAND within 6 months, but you do not have to stay in Canada right away after you land. Once you have your PR, you need to be in Canada something like 3 years out of the next 5 (you can check on CIC) but you do not have to move here right away. In your position, I would paper my intended city of residence with resumes, and then schedule interviews and even some meet-and-greet coffees with people in your industry on 1-2 week job search trips, however often I could get time away from my US job.

Also, there are some banks (TD comes to mind) that have branches on both sides of the border. If that bank (or another like it) is convenient to you, you can open an account on the US side and keep your money in USD, which would be really advantageous right now, with the Canadian dollar having some issues.

Once you have finished your landing, you can stay where you are and strategize your entrance to Canadian life in the way that feels best to you, no worries. And congrats on your PR!

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dobes said:
Take your bank statements and list of goods to follow. You can fly into Canada and do your landing there, or drive to a border and do it that way, if you are in the northern US.

You have to LAND within 6 months, but you do not have to stay in Canada right away after you land. Once you have your PR, you need to be in Canada something like 3 years out of the next 5 (you can check on CIC) but you do not have to move here right away. In your position, I would paper my intended city of residence with resumes, and then schedule interviews and even some meet-and-greet coffees with people in your industry on 1-2 week job search trips, however often I could get time away from my US job.

Also, there are some banks (TD comes to mind) that have branches on both sides of the border. If that bank (or another like it) is convenient to you, you can open an account on the US side and keep your money in USD, which would be really advantageous right now, with the Canadian dollar having some issues.

Once you have finished your landing, you can stay where you are and strategize your entrance to Canadian life in the way that feels best to you, no worries. And congrats on your PR!
+1

Thank you so much for the info and great tip on the banking issue...

Sadly its very hard to get time off from my current job which is one of the main reasons why applied to goto Canada and I'm tired with all the p**** immigration rules they have here in U.S

If you are an illegal immigrant the US immigration system is excellent but if you are legal and spent over 40k in tuition fees in this country they treat you like crap.

I will definitely follow your advise and thanks again for the reply.

kriscan

Sep 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2016
AOR Received.
24-01-2016
Med's Done....
26-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
I've asked the same in other similar forums also:
I got CPR /CoPR and preparing for landing, my application was EE SINP pnp.
Question is can I land a different city other than in CPR? how is landing for provincial nominee different from a non PNP?
I have a query from one of the company asking me whether I can land and move to different city for work since their office is not in the city I'm landing?

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
some helpful links:-

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-checklist.asp#before1

http://www.canadavisa.com/landing-settlement-canada.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/landing-in-canada-as-a-permanent-resident-faq.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-landing-experience-and-observations-t41271.0.html

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
kriscan said:
I've asked the same in other similar forums also:
I got CPR /CoPR and preparing for landing, my application was EE SINP pnp.
Question is can I land a different city other than in CPR? how is landing for provincial nominee different from a non PNP?
I have a query from one of the company asking me whether I can land and move to different city for work since their office is not in the city I'm landing?
see discussion on: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/post-copr-questions-t350875.0.html