+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing and card...

WalkingFunny

Sep 26, 2008
Hi all,
our passports were returned with the immigrants visa last week. We have until sometime in April next year to go and land in Canada. I still have a job here and I am looking for a job in Alberta so I do not want to move permanently immediately. My questions are:

- I currently reside in Madsion Wisconsin and I plan to drive to Toronto in the next couple of months to complete the landing process, does it matter that I am a recipient of the Alberta PNP program, but my first port of entry is Toronto?

- Would it be necessary to tell the immigration officer that I am passing through Toronto but my final destination is Alberta?, or can I just enter Canada at any port of entry without needing to give an explanation?

- My real plan is to drive in, complete the landing formalities, then drive back after about 1 week. Can I complete all the paper work for the landing while in Toronto, even though I fill in an Alberta address for my permanent residence (I intend to use a friend's address in Calgary)?

- I am told that once you fill in the paper work with your address, they'll mail the PR card to your address, then my friend can mail this to me in the U.S., and I can use it for subsequent re-entry? Is there a flaw in this planning or is it typical/been used before?

The summary is that I do not want to go to Canada immediately, but I also don't want to fly all the way to Calgary just to complete the landing formalities if it is possible to avoid the really expensive trip.

Thanks for the help.

C

cchabert

Hey Walking Funny Congrats!! long time no see, well in my humble opinion I'll try to cross on the Alberta border, of course my case is different even that I have a job right now as soon I got my visa I'll move out, maybe me first and family later or all together, but always landing first on Alberta, we have relatives in Toronto, but even that they insist on going to them first to visit and later go to Alberta I rather do the landing as the Alberta Government is expecting I don;t want later to do explanations of any kind, the situation of the Canadian Government is changing every day and I don;t want that at later stage the can make things difficult to get the citizenship. Keep us posted and congrats again!

yrinaldy

Star Member
Sep 26, 2008
Interesting..

I, too, plan to exit at North Dakota since it's closer than one in Montana. But, eventually I'll drive to Calgary from North Dakota.

I read somewhere in the forum that it's okay to exit at the border anywhere and arrive in Alberta later on. As long as you do the landing in Canada border.

That's my 2 cents. I'll go ahead and do more research on this..

WalkingFunny said:
Hi all,
our passports were returned with the immigrants visa last week. We have until sometime in April next year to go and land in Canada. I still have a job here and I am looking for a job in Alberta so I do not want to move permanently immediately. My questions are:

- I currently reside in Madsion Wisconsin and I plan to drive to Toronto in the next couple of months to complete the landing process, does it matter that I am a recipient of the Alberta PNP program, but my first port of entry is Toronto?

- Would it be necessary to tell the immigration officer that I am passing through Toronto but my final destination is Alberta?, or can I just enter Canada at any port of entry without needing to give an explanation?

- My real plan is to drive in, complete the landing formalities, then drive back after about 1 week. Can I complete all the paper work for the landing while in Toronto, even though I fill in an Alberta address for my permanent residence (I intend to use a friend's address in Calgary)?

- I am told that once you fill in the paper work with your address, they'll mail the PR card to your address, then my friend can mail this to me in the U.S., and I can use it for subsequent re-entry? Is there a flaw in this planning or is it typical/been used before?

The summary is that I do not want to go to Canada immediately, but I also don't want to fly all the way to Calgary just to complete the landing formalities if it is possible to avoid the really expensive trip.

Thanks for the help.

mumbaimerijan

Jan 4, 2009
Is it possible that a person lands in alberta before visa expiry date for a weekend and gives friends address based in toronto. In such case will they send the PR card to toronto address or it is mandatory to provide Alberta address?

Any thoughts?

yrinaldy

Star Member
Sep 26, 2008
I believe, as long as the address in Canadian based, it will be okay.

mumbaimerijan said:
Is it possible that a person lands in alberta before visa expiry date for a weekend and gives friends address based in toronto. In such case will they send the PR card to toronto address or it is mandatory to provide Alberta address?

Any thoughts?

Calgary.Mayor

Jul 31, 2009
akk said:
Does anybody know if it is possible for us to land, apply for the card, and then put a friend's address to receive it for me and then mail it to me wherever I would be at that moment, so we have up to 2 years to move to alberta for good?

Akk
Why do you want to do these fradulent activities that putting somebody else's address and etc. Why not do the right things?

mumbaimerijan

Jan 4, 2009
Well Calgary .Mayor , we are not talking about fradulent actions here. We are talking about situations wherein you do an entry before visa expiry . As it's not possible to do complete movin over the weekend . So the first time you enter you have to provide address for PR card and that time you won't prefer to provide hotel address, rather an address which is fixed in order to make sure you don't loose your PR card.

But if you have permanent address in calgary then it's a ideal situtaion .

Best of Luck!

Calgary.Mayor

Jul 31, 2009
mumbaimerijan said:
Well Calgary .Mayor , we are not talking about fradulent actions here. We are talking about situations wherein you do an entry before visa expiry . As it's not possible to do complete movin over the weekend . So the first time you enter you have to provide address for PR card and that time you won't prefer to provide hotel address, rather an address which is fixed in order to make sure you don't loose your PR card.

But if you have permanent address in calgary then it's a ideal situtaion .

Best of Luck!
In that Case, The right thing will be to take a complete one or two week off from work in US and then do landing process and come back.

at-80

Star Member
May 24, 2009
My understanding is that it can take upto 2 months for PR card to come by mail. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right, the standard time given is 30 days but it can easily take 6-8 weeks.

hsetin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2009
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2012
AOR Received.
11-12-2012
File Transfer...
11-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-11-2012
Passport Req..
01-03-2013
GK,
Do you know if this PNP from Alberta is absolutely strict about residing in Alberta,
What if someone is planning to go to school after a few months in Alberta and the school happens to be out of Alberta, Does the PR need any validation from Alberta once you get hte card.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hsetin: You can check my other answer to your question. You sign a statement saying that you intend to settle in that province. There is no actual time limit you have to stay but if you are already planning on attending school outside of Alberta at the time you sign that document, then you are making a fraudulent statement. I have never heard of anyone who got in trouble for leaving but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

dnataraj

Jul 9, 2008
Leon said:
hsetin: You can check my other answer to your question. You sign a statement saying that you intend to settle in that province. There is no actual time limit you have to stay but if you are already planning on attending school outside of Alberta at the time you sign that document, then you are making a fraudulent statement. I have never heard of anyone who got in trouble for leaving but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
Leon,

Is it possible to renounce the PR-ship. For example one will get Alberta PR but doesn't find a job in Alberta but finds one in BC or ON. Can he renounce Alberta PR and apply from BC or ON under employment based PR just to be legally and morally correct.