+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Today (even though I was planning to defer...)

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
I am the person who had planned to defer landing b/c I need to travel again before my PR card is expected to come. As background, I am an American citizen who has lived in Canada on a work permit for 5 years. I had to go to NYC on business this week and have 3 trips to the US coming up over the next few months. All of my trips are via airlines so I was told here I technically need PR card, although b/c I am American, they'd "probably" let me through.

I was thinking I would defer my landing b/c my PR card won't come before my next trip (in 8 days - Thanksgiving). When I came through customs today (Toronto - Pearson), I told the agent I had my PR visa but that I wasn't planning to land b/c of this issue. He told me that I should just land now get it over with. So I went through to immigration, where I was the only person in line. I was sent around the corner to the area for New Immigrants (once again, was the only person there), asked if I had any kids and if I had ever had an issue with police. The agent said she was taking my work permit. I asked if I could keep it so I wouldn't have a problem with my upcoming trips. She said no, since it was now invalid, and that as a U.S. passport holder, I shouldn't have a problem with the airlines. She said that until my PR card comes, I might get sent back to the immigration room again, but they'd let me through quickly, especially since my husband and kids are Canadians. She said to keep the copy of the COPR with my passport to expedite this.

She then sent me to a newcomer line for info on SIN and Health Card (both of which I already have since I have lived here for 5 years), but she said to get the info anyway since they were temporary and tied to the dates on my work permit. They started giving me the whole newcomer package, but I said I didn't need it since I have lived in Canada for a while.

That was it. Maybe 3 minutes total. Mostly paperwork based. Now I wait for the PR card!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
congratulations with landing, dfb! does it mean that it's impossible to defer landing?

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks! I got the sense that if I had pushed it, they wouldn't have made me land, but I don't know. I was sort of on the fence and they confirmed that there shouldn't be an issue with my future travels, since I am an American, so I was happy to do it today since I was traveling without my young kids, because this was a business trip.

I should also mention that when I said that I was concerned about waiting 6-7 weeks for the PR card, the agent said that she had been recently hearing it was more like 3 weeks. We'll see...

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
If it makes you feel any better... my mother-in-law is a US citizen and a PR of Canada. She has been driving to the US and back to Canada regularly for years without a PR card. It expired and she just hasn't gotten around to renewing it. She said she's never ever had any issues at the border because of it.

Since you're traveling so much, maybe some friendly advice: keep a record of all your trips that keep you out of Canada overnight. They will come in handy when you it's time to renew your PR card or apply for Canadian citizenship. The reason my mother-in-law hasn't applied for a new PR card yet is because she has no clue how much time and when she spent out of Canada and that is needed for the forms.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should be fine re-entering - if you're worried you can get a travel document from the Canadian embassy until your card arrives.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Congratulations dfb! I landed on Thursday, Nov 12 by traveling to Buffalo and driving back across the border at Lewiston. It took me a LOT longer than 3 minutes and I must say the IOs and customs officials I encountered were humorless, illtempered and not very tolerant of questions. But the people at the consulate were both friendly, efficient and very willing to provide answers to my questions as were the border guards. All in all, with travel time it took me 12 hours to get there and back. Five hours driving, 2.5 hours at the embassy, 3 hours waiting for my COPR to get posted to IO at the border, 1.5 hours to export car, land, and declare goods to follow. A lot of that time was waiting for the slow wheels of bureaucracy to churn out paperwork. But it's done now. YEAH! Glad to hear the PR card might be only 3 weeks wait. Now I'm on to SIN and OHIP forms, car modifications and inspections...and if the driver's testing workers would just settle their strike I could finally get my ON driver's liscense.

BTW, I was told to remove that paper stapled to my passport when I received my PR card and to keep it in a safe place. I think I'll need it to renew my PR status or apply for citizenship at a later date.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
That 'that paper stapled to my passport' is the COPR and yes, you will need it, save it as though it were made out of gold.

Interesting though, nobody told me to remove it. I figured I'd just keep it there until the passport expires >_> Might be a good idea though.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
dfb said:
Thanks! I got the sense that if I had pushed it, they wouldn't have made me land, but I don't know. I was sort of on the fence and they confirmed that there shouldn't be an issue with my future travels, since I am an American, so I was happy to do it today since I was traveling without my young kids, because this was a business trip.

I should also mention that when I said that I was concerned about waiting 6-7 weeks for the PR card, the agent said that she had been recently hearing it was more like 3 weeks. We'll see...
do your kids have visas too? I am curious if it's possible to make parent's landing and defer kids if they are not with the parent.

that's really great news about PR card! please do let us know if it's really so fast to receive it! :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mitamata said:
That 'that paper stapled to my passport' is the COPR and yes, you will need it, save it as though it were made out of gold.

Interesting though, nobody told me to remove it. I figured I'd just keep it there until the passport expires >_> Might be a good idea though.
After you get your PR card, take the COPR out of the passport, you will need it for citizenship and when you apply for CPP/OAP

PMM

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
Suin - My husband and kids are already Canadian citizens, so it was just me.

All - Interestingly, she gave me the copy of the COPR but did not actually staple it to my passport. She just folded it up and stuck it in there.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I thought the COPR was the cool looking sticker they put in my passport, not the piece of paper they stapled to it. I guess I better get it out and have a look at it.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Nah, the sticker is the visa :)

Thanks for the advice, my COPR is now safely tucked away in a drawer.