+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

at9459

May 30, 2009
mooving2canada said:
Hi the idea given by the QORAX and senior members to find the job in Canada is really working. I've edited my resume as QORAX suggested and im getting calls from the employers within 24 hours.
Thanx to QORAX and senior members...
Please tell these ideas to us also.

GIAWM

Star Member
Nov 12, 2009
rocky272727 said:
Hey Every one.

Thanks a lot for the warm wishes. I really pray for everyone that you get your visa's soon and start your new life in Canada.

I might be repetitive here but I wanted to share all the details with you about my landing experience and experience so far. So here I go.

I came to International Airport and here goes the process.

- Had to que up to get documents checked at the flight counter. The official in Khakhi clothes checked my Visa and asked me to show him the landing papers. I guess they just want to make sure that we carry all the documents so that there is no inconvenience at the Canadian Airport.
- Que up for boarding pass and I got the boarding pass. This is for everyone here that I traveled by Air India (This was the only one I got as booked 1 day before flying. Have real brother working for them so could get tickets easily). Weight allowed by 23Kg x 2 + 10kgs hand bag.
- Went to immigration and the Indian official was very rude and he was taking as if he is doing me a favor checking my documents. This is just my opinion out here that these people should be really given a kick in there head as they get paid form our taxes but they never know how to work and behave.
- Took flight and landed at London HTW airport for security checks had to get off the plane. The official as usual were very very rude to the people who were not English speaking population. Got security checks done and boarded the flight again.
- Fill the declaration card which the flight crew will give you. If you do not understand anything then do not worry at all.
- Landed Canada and straight away went to the initial Common immigration.

Now here comes the most important part
- There will be a lady saying follow a short line, so que up a line which is a short one.
- The immigration office will call you once its your turn. Greet the officer and give him/her your passport and declaration card only. He will ask you how much money you carrying and will make corrections in the declaration card by him/herself.
- Then will ask you to goto to Immigration counter which is on the right hand side. (Board labelled in Green Color - IMMIGRATION)
- Once you que up and upon your turn the immigration office will ask you to goto New Immigrants section which will be on the left hand back side of immigration counter. You can directly also goto that counter.
- Now the new immigrants que may be long so relax and only the principal application will be required to be in que and rest of the accompanying family members can be seated.
- Once your turn comes, greet the officer with a smiling face. He/she will ask you that whether you are here to complete your landing then say yes.
- He will ask you for your passport and CPR/COPR. He will then ask you that how much funds you are carrying. He will ask you that which flight did you take to come to Canada. He just asked me and didn't asked me to show it to him. Be confident. Then he would ask you your physical home address in Canada. I would suggest take a pre printed address on a paper, it will help speed up the process and keep it handy. Then once he enters everything in the system will ask you to sign only in the green box.
- Once done will tell you that your PR card will come to you in 4 weeks and will welcome you to Canada.
- Once you move from that counter passing the que, there is a welcome to Canada counter, where a guy named Mohammad and a lady might welcome you. They will give you your City map, Service Canada book and a hand bag and will welcome you to Canada and will direct you towards the left hand side where another guy who will be sitting near the exit gate. He will also ask which flight did you take to come to Canada. Then will and might speak with you in your regional language and I think the guy is Indian. He will be friendly with your and also might tell you the belt number from where you have to collect your baggage.
- If you do not have change do not worry they have change counters machine and be carefully while taking the trolley as mine was faulty and I realized it later. There will be a person standing next to the counter for any assistance.
- Take your luggage and keep your declaration card handy to give it to the lady and she will direct you to the left hand side for customs.
- The CBSA officer will x-ray the goods and if he/she doesn't ask you for any good to follow list then you ask him/her about it as in my case he forgot and then I reminded him. He/she will give you the copy of the documents which you will give them and a form which you need to present when the goods arrive. He will also ask you your home address in Canada and better to give him the pre printed page.

Thats it is.....I Completed my landing and it was a smooth wonderful experience. I may have repeated certain instructions but just wanted to be more full proof.

As for as schools for kids are concerned. Every Area has, elementary, High Schools and they are mapped so do not worry about it. The process it very Simple.

For Sin Card, goto to Canada Service website and look for the nearest Sin Card office near your location and go there will take 15min and they will give you a letter stating your Sin and will say that it will come in 10 working days. Goto a nearest library after that and get a card made it free.

Once Sin is there then open a bank account.

I will update more. God bless and happy landing.
ROCKY
Thanks for sharing...

All the best ....

Reet

Star Member
Dec 30, 2009
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
initial application to NS-2nd Nov.
Doc's Request.
14th Jan..docs sent to CHC 29th Jan.
IELTS Request
14th Jan
File Transfer...
20th jan
Med's Request
8th March
Med's Done....
18th March
Interview........
waived-off
Passport Req..
8th March
VISA ISSUED...
26th April
LANDED..........
not decided yet
Thanx a lot rocky for updating ur experience..its really very nice on ur part... :)

vncviewer

Sep 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
SIngapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-09
Doc's Request.
25-09-09
Nomination.....
15-12-09
AOR Received.
23-12-09
mooving2canada said:
Hi the idea given by the QORAX and senior members to find the job in Canada is really working. I've edited my resume as QORAX suggested and im getting calls from the employers within 24 hours.
Thanx to QORAX and senior members...
Hello Bro, Please share us the idea or give the link.

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
Dear Quorax,

Can you pl give me some specific inputs about how to go about finding banking jobs in Edmonton Alberta. Also in case you have a specific format for international cv specific to Canada can you pl mail me the same on my id p_kakarlamudi@yahoo.com. I am also open to do other jobs till i get a break in banking sector. Pl help reply...soooon....

mooving2canada

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
Punjab
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July2009
Doc's Request.
September2009
Nomination.....
December2009
AOR Received.
December2009
File Transfer...
September2009
Med's Request
1st Feb,2010
Med's Done....
18th March,2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1st Feb,2010
VISA ISSUED...
7th April,2010
LANDED..........
Landed at Vancouver on 26th May,10. Residing at Burnaby and now looking for Job
giku said:
What was the idea...could u please share it again with us!!!!!!!!!!

Giku
Hi, I m posting the ideas to find the job shared by the senior members:

Remember, landing at a job interview is half the battle won in Canada. Once you get an interview call, it is then your skills, luck and God's wish that will decide the fate. But the problem is most people don't get interview calls. They cannot go ahead from that stage. Forget about using your technical knowledge for the interview. I too was stuck in that situation. But, after getting views from few friends around, I started getting interview calls. The point is to act smart. Companies ignore people who have outside Canada experience (except US). If you have India, Pakistan, UAE or any other country anywhere on your resume, chances are you will not be called for the interview. Sorry, but that's a hard fact. But, don't worry. Act smart and remove the country names from the resume. What I did was, I just kept the company names but removed their location. I put in the education but removed the country. So, now I had a resume with all my qualifications, experiences and objectives Minus the country name. And, it showed the results. I started to get interview calls (on avg 2 per week). In the interview when they ask, then at that time you can tell more details about your jobs and qualifications. Remember we are not trying to hide the information but just deferring it to be told at a later and better time. Don't let the companies judge you without interviewing you. Don't let them make an opinion about you without knowing you properly. And once you get the interview, you can impress them with your confidence, skills and your character. Then it doesn't matter where you you got your education and experience from. If you fail in an interview, then no problem. That's acceptable. But, rejection without a proper interview is something that none of us wants. The problems are the pre-conceived notions and the preference of Canadian experience over any other. So, just play a little smart and it will be all good.
Regards,
Jatinder Hundal

CBI

Feb 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
12-Feb-2010
AOR Received.
12 Feb 2010 & 21st May 2010
IELTS Request
7.0 Band (6th March 2010)
File Transfer...
17 Feb 2010
Med's Request
23 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
07 Jan 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
14 Mar 2011
LANDED..........
06 May 2011
Hi Jatinder Hundal,

I have heard that, writing style of a CV (Resume) is totally different in CANADA. Can you give some guidelines about it.

God always help the people who help others & I am sure you will get your desired Job soon. All the best to you for next interview.

Regards
CBI

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi People,

For your information everything in Canada works on credit history. Even if you buy a post paid number, your credit is pulled and you have be regular while paying your bills to come back to that normal credit history even for applying for mortgage it is very very much important. Once you land in Canada, you will know what I am talking about. Will keep updating.

Tc

mooving2canada

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
Punjab
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July2009
Doc's Request.
September2009
Nomination.....
December2009
AOR Received.
December2009
File Transfer...
September2009
Med's Request
1st Feb,2010
Med's Done....
18th March,2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1st Feb,2010
VISA ISSUED...
7th April,2010
LANDED..........
CBI said:
Hi Jatinder Hundal,

I have heard that, writing style of a CV (Resume) is totally different in CANADA. Can you give some guidelines about it.

God always help the people who help others & I am sure you will get your desired Job soon. All the best to you for next interview.

Regards
CBI
Thanx CBI for ur best wishes. i havent seen the resume of any canadian. Im having interview calls for the next week and hope i'll see some more resumes of the Canadian, then i'll see the format and update to all of you. Just one difference i came to know is that Canadians dont say CV or Vitae thay just say and pronounce it as RESME'

mooving2canada

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
Punjab
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July2009
Doc's Request.
September2009
Nomination.....
December2009
AOR Received.
December2009
File Transfer...
September2009
Med's Request
1st Feb,2010
Med's Done....
18th March,2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1st Feb,2010
VISA ISSUED...
7th April,2010
LANDED..........
rocky272727 said:
Hi People,

For your information everything in Canada works on credit history. Even if you buy a post paid number, your credit is pulled and you have be regular while paying your bills to come back to that normal credit history even for applying for mortgage it is very very much important. Once you land in Canada, you will know what I am talking about. Will keep updating.

Tc
Hi Rocky, plz share ur job finding experience and if u can plz send me the format of ur resume at hundal.2k@gmail.com
Appreciate ur help

giku

Feb 17, 2010
mooving2canada said:
Hi, I m posting the ideas to find the job shared by the senior members:

Remember, landing at a job interview is half the battle won in Canada. Once you get an interview call, it is then your skills, luck and God's wish that will decide the fate. But the problem is most people don't get interview calls. They cannot go ahead from that stage. Forget about using your technical knowledge for the interview. I too was stuck in that situation. But, after getting views from few friends around, I started getting interview calls. The point is to act smart. Companies ignore people who have outside Canada experience (except US). If you have India, Pakistan, UAE or any other country anywhere on your resume, chances are you will not be called for the interview. Sorry, but that's a hard fact. But, don't worry. Act smart and remove the country names from the resume. What I did was, I just kept the company names but removed their location. I put in the education but removed the country. So, now I had a resume with all my qualifications, experiences and objectives Minus the country name. And, it showed the results. I started to get interview calls (on avg 2 per week). In the interview when they ask, then at that time you can tell more details about your jobs and qualifications. Remember we are not trying to hide the information but just deferring it to be told at a later and better time. Don't let the companies judge you without interviewing you. Don't let them make an opinion about you without knowing you properly. And once you get the interview, you can impress them with your confidence, skills and your character. Then it doesn't matter where you you got your education and experience from. If you fail in an interview, then no problem. That's acceptable. But, rejection without a proper interview is something that none of us wants. The problems are the pre-conceived notions and the preference of Canadian experience over any other. So, just play a little smart and it will be all good.
Regards,
Jatinder Hundal
Thanks Buddy..........All the best!!!!!
Soon we will hear the good news about your employment....God Bless..

Giku