+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed from US today- unpleasant experience

robfis

Star Member
Jan 4, 2009
We landed from US today, via Vancouver. I will describe our unpleasant experience and ask you to share similar experiences.
First I would like to mention that we are US citizens.
My wife and I arrived to the Canadian border and told the guy in the booth that we intended to land. He asked for how long will we be in Canada, we said two weeks and then back to California to get our stuff to Canada. Then he asked what we did for living. He gave us a paper and sent us to the office.
In the office we met a lady who from the first moment was very unfriendly. She also asked us what we did for living, if we had property in California and why we wanted to move to Canada. She asked if we wanted to import anything and when she learned from us that we didn't have car titles, she said that maybe we should return and come back prepared for importing. I told her that the visas were close to expiration and we will just give up importing the car. All this time she was very unfriendly and intimidating and implying that something's not right with our landing. She even told us at one point that it seems that we're playing games.
We filled out a form for goods that we will bring later and gave it to her. She asked us to sign the landing papers and said that right now we are residents but at the same time tourists and we will only get a resident card when we move, have bills in Canada, give up our California driver license and get a Canadian driver license. She repeated that a few times and was very, very intimidating. I tried to ask her what was I supposed to do about applying for a resident card and again she began repeating that I will have to show up in front of an immigration officer at the immigration office and prove that I moved to Canada and then apply for the card. She was very much implying that we’re not genuine immigrants, although I really do not understand what kind of game she believes we play.
To finish my dissertation, we entered Canada as residents, but without a PR card application done. We will go to a local office for the SIN card. However, we do not know how getting a residence card will work now since we haven’t heard of a similar experience so far. I thought the first PR card was paid for and would be received automatically by landing.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Robert

rslcanada

Jan 7, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2010
Doc's Request.
06-04-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010 (2nd) Ecas In Process 28-09-2010
File Transfer...
16-04-2010
Med's Request
04-10-2010 received in mail
Med's Done....
09-10(Oct)-2010 @ CT,USA
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 30'11; PP sent June 9/ rcvd by CIC June 14,2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 20 & DM/received PP June 28, 2011
LANDED..........
August 7, 2011 via Winnipeg, MB stayed for 2wks & be back on July 2012
maybe the unfriendly lady is wondering why will you exchange your US citizenship for a Canadian PR...

just a thought ;)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They do not mail your PR card outside Canada but if you have a secure address in Canada where a friend or relative could receive it, you can phone CIC (from inside Canada) and tell them that although you did not have an address when you landed, you now have one and so you want to update it with them so they can mail your PR card. At that time, you will find out if the evil lady flagged you in the system somehow so that you will actually need to prove that you are living in Canada now. Still, there are many people who do this. Immigration allows you to be a PR, yet live in another country for up to 3 out of every 5 years. It is only natural that you might need to tie up some loose ends before your move and that the time until the expiry of your PR visa is not enough for that and you therefore must land before you can actually move. Immigration officers are however allowed to hold your PR cards if you aren't going to be at the address you give when the PR cards arrive. However, I don't think that has much to do with whether you are moving already, more with the risk of PR cards getting lost.

I do not know what kind of games she thought you were playing. Maybe her wish has always been to move to the US and she can't understand why you want to go the other way. Importing cars however is a touchy subject. Canadian PR's who are resident in Canada are not allowed to drive around in US registered cars in Canada, therefore the requirement to import. Of course there are PR's who are actually living in the US and of course they should be able to vacation in Canada with their US registered cars but some immigration officers are very strict on this. There have been people who were refused to land with their cars because they could not import them. Other people were advised that they could land with a rental car as long as it was on Canadian plates.

It sounds like they did process your landing papers. It is not necessary to fill out a PR card application at the time you land. If you manage to give an address within 6 months of your landing, possibly the lady did flag you in the system and you must show up at a local immigration office but I doubt it, then you will get your first PR card for free. If not, you can enter Canada with your landing papers and you can apply for a PR card and pay your $50 for it.

pearl2010

Jul 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2009
Doc's Request.
16-02-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
13-10-2010 to LA(in-process 19-04-2011)Rejection letter on 7 June2011
u guessed it right Leon.
Leon said:
I do not know what kind of games she thought you were playing. Maybe her wish has always been to move to the US and she can't understand why you want to go the other way.