+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed and car imported against will

Sid94587

Jan 9, 2018
I landed yesterday and the CBP officer imported my car from the USA even when I didn't want to do it.

So now is my insurance from the USA valid or not?

I am under a mandated 14 day quarantine so I cant go out and do much.

The immigration officer told me that I will have to get ON license plates. What if I don't get them and go back to the USA after 40 days? Will I be able to sell my car in the USA (the title is from there and what will happen to my car's status in Canada).

sachinsoman1988

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
IELTS Request
None
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-01-2016
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
26-09-2016
I landed yesterday and the CBP officer imported my car from the USA even when I didn't want to do it.

The immigration officer told me that I will have to get ON license plates. What if I don't get them and go back to the USA after 40 days? Will I be able to sell my car in the USA (the title is from there and what will happen to my car's status in Canada).
So, the reasoning behind it is: There is a strange law where they dont allow canadian permanent resident who claims to be resident of canada is driving a vehicle with US plates and the vehicle does not have a US resident. I had the exact same experience as you.

Insurance validity depends on the insurance company: If you insurance included US and Canada. You are good till you change the plates of the car.

guitarman

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
You'll need to go to a local CBSA office and explain that you didn't want the car to be imported, and that you plan to bring it back to the US once the borders reopen. This is assuming you didn't export your car from the US?

This is in line with this part of the CBSA site about COVID Info for Canadians and Permanent Residents:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/canadians-canadiens-eng.html

"Temporary import of US-plated vehicles into Canada
Until further notice, the CBSA is lifting the 60-day condition regarding the temporary import of US-plated vehicles by Canadian residents. A new deadline for when these vehicles will need to be exported or permanently imported with applicable duties and tax will follow."

RIV will require an email directly from CBSA to put a stop on the import.

CBSA will have to send an email to RIV saying that the Form 1 was issued in error and cancel the Form 1.

Reactions: MidoRafa

dd23

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020

Ask your insurance provider my man.