+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Laid off while sponsoring

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
Hello,
I am Canadian citizen, applied for sponsoring my common law partner in September 1st.
He had his medical visit and biometrics taken this past month.
Now, if I log in, I see just 'submitted', not accepted.
I am not sure they stated processing the file.
Today I got laid off (all of a sudden, after 18 years working with the same company).
Should I call IMM and explain? Will they deny my sponsorship application?
I am not sure how much severance will get and what will the EI be.
Thanks people!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I am Canadian citizen, applied for sponsoring my common law partner in September 1st.
Today I got laid off (all of a sudden, after 18 years working with the same company).
Thanks people!
There's no need to notify IRCC about your change in employment situation. You are fine to take EI. Just make sure you don't take social assistance. Otherwise you are good. Sorry for the unexpected layoff. That must suck and hope you got a good severance.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,
Thanks people!
It's OK. I believe you do have savings and some serverance and EI payment.

IRCC is not this straight on spousal/common law sponsorship (vs PGP with fixed amount of income to meet per year).
So take some time to digest this news. You can update IRCC later on if you really want to but it's not something you really need to do right away.

As for medical, I think they only update it again after it's reviewed and passed.

Reactions: mrsTF

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
Thanks people!
I do actually believe you need to update IRCC about any changes in your file. As long as you can show you can support your family without welfare you should be fine. Send a webform. Indicate severance amount, indicate you will be looking for new employment and assume you submitted proof of savings during your application so no need to resubmit but you can include a reminder you have included proof of funds with original application.

Reactions: mrsTF

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
I have some savings, but they did not send and severance package as of yet. I never been in this situation, I have been working continuously since 2005, so I don't know when this will be sent to me.
As far as I know, I cannot apply for EI until the severance is not finished (that would be 18 weeks).
I have to go back home, in Romania, I will be gone 3 months, and I cannot and don't want to cancel the trip back home (mom is not well, I am not well either, I have to do tests, the Ontario Health system is a joke).
I will call IMM on Monday and ask for advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have some savings, but they did not send and severance package as of yet. I never been in this situation, I have been working continuously since 2005, so I don't know when this will be sent to me.
As far as I know, I cannot apply for EI until the severance is not finished (that would be 18 weeks).
I have to go back home, in Romania, I will be gone 3 months, and I cannot and don't want to cancel the trip back home (mom is not well, I am not well either, I have to do tests, the Ontario Health system is a joke).
I will call IMM on Monday and ask for advice.
You do need to advise IRCC if spending long periods of time abroad like 3 months in Romania. To claim EI after you exhaust your severance you will need to be in Canada because you have to show that are actively applying for jobs and could start working at any time. I have lots of criticism fir the Canadian healthcare system but there is lots of criticism for the Romanian system. Very large percentage of Healthcare workers have left Romania and so have a large percentage of young people. Many hospitals especially outside urban centres are extremely basic.

Reactions: YVR123

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
Well, I will be spending this 3 months with my partner, we are going both in Romania, we are both from the same city, we will live under the same roof.
Well, I worked remotely until now, I will continue to apply for remote jobs, and for hybrid when I will be back in Canada in March.
Romania's healthcare system has both, public and private. I will be going to the private one in a quite big city. I was able to get appointments quite soon after I arrive.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, I will be spending this 3 months with my partner, we are going both in Romania, we are both from the same city, we will live under the same roof.
Well, I worked remotely until now, I will continue to apply for remote jobs, and for hybrid when I will be back in Canada in March.
Romania's healthcare system has both, public and private. I will be going to the private one in a quite big city. I was able to get appointments quite soon after I arrive.
You can’t compare a country that has private and public healthcare system given a large portion of the people in Romania can’t afford to use the private system. A good portion of people using the private system don’t live in Romania permanently. You MUST be in Canada and remain to apply and receive EI. It doesn’t matter that you were working remotely. You are also required to advise IRCC when you leave Canada for long period of time during the sponsorship process. Your are still eligible to sponsor someone as a Canadians citizen but you may have to prove that you will be returning to Canada. In general misrepresenting your situation can lead to huge problems so send in a webform about your new employment situation and extended holiday.

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
Hey canuck78, you seem romanian :)
Well, i can tell you that my parents (parents being retired and with a pension that is not comparable to any of the first world countries), and lots of people i know go more to the private system. The public system improved in the past couple of years when the MDs salaries increased a lot, but still, Romania has more churches than schools and hospitals (don't get me started :D ).
Anyways, back to this, i will be calling IRCC and explain the situation. We have round trip tickets, apartment stays here empty during these three months, we go together (so it's not like the relationship will be stranded because one stays here the other there).
Also, if i get a severance pay, i can apply for EI, but only after that is finished. It's one week per year worked, so 18 weeks, which is longer than my trip overseas, so i will apply when i come back, this if i don't find anything while being home.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey canuck78, you seem romanian :)
Well, i can tell you that my parents (parents being retired and with a pension that is not comparable to any of the first world countries), and lots of people i know go more to the private system. The public system improved in the past couple of years when the MDs salaries increased a lot, but still, Romania has more churches than schools and hospitals (don't get me started :D ).
Anyways, back to this, i will be calling IRCC and explain the situation. We have round trip tickets, apartment stays here empty during these three months, we go together (so it's not like the relationship will be stranded because one stays here the other there).
Also, if i get a severance pay, i can apply for EI, but only after that is finished. It's one week per year worked, so 18 weeks, which is longer than my trip overseas, so i will apply when i come back, this if i don't find anything while being home.
Send in a webform don’t call (IRCC customer service can’t really do much) with the information and would attach proof of lease and proof of your return ticket so IRCC has all the information hopefully preventing any delays. The majority of people can’t pay for majority private healthcare if they have only lived and worked legally in Romania. They may pay for an appointment but many get financial help from abroad for surgery or longer stays in the private system. As the cost of living has increased in other parts of Europe, especially the UK, some Romanians doctors have returned or have decided to stay. Most work in the private clinics. The bigger issue is nurses like it is in most of the world. Many Romanian nurses have gone abroad to work as nurses or work in care homes. Lots of foreigner do med school in Romania so they also may stay in Romania or at least add to the labour force during their training. The private clinics in Romania have also become medical tourism destination. You may be fine but also some very bad stories and would probably pick Malaysia, South Korea, Singapore and Thailand as my top recommendations for medical tourism.

Not Romanian just work in healthcare and know about the current challenges facing healthcare in many countries.

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
Thanks for your insight, canuck78, this is what i hear about the doctors/nurses as well. I will let them know this next week, i have a very big list with todo stuff.