+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Kindergarten in BC

vancouvergong

Jan 16, 2014
Hi there,

I just got a job and a work visa for Vancouver. We'll be moving there from California. We have a 4 year old who will turn 5 this year in 2014. Just a couple questions.

* Is it common to hold your child back a year before starting kindergarten in BC? Her birthday is in late October. She would be one of the youngest ones in her class. In the States, she wouldn't start Kindergarten until 2015.

* If I for some reason get laid off from my job, does this mean we immediately have to pull her out of school as well because I lost my work visa status?

Thanks everyone!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
vancouvergong said:
* Is it common to hold your child back a year before starting kindergarten in BC? Her birthday is in late October. She would be one of the youngest ones in her class. In the States, she wouldn't start Kindergarten until 2015.

* If I for some reason get laid off from my job, does this mean we immediately have to pull her out of school as well because I lost my work visa status?
Hi

No, it's not very common to defer kindergarten by a year but you are allowed to do it.

No, you would not have to pull her out of school. There is a difference between losing your job and losing your status. Even if you lose your job, you still have a valid work permit and your child can stay in school.