+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just thought of sharing this information about my citizenship application

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
The letter says that I'll be scheduled in the "coming months" with an asterisk adding that my exam may be delayed due to security, criminal and immigration background checks. It occurs to me that March 2016 is a coming month... ::)

Be positive. The letter is just a generic format notice that they have been sending to applicants recently. The point is the purpose of the letter. It seems to me that they are trying to move forward with applications.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
professional 1 said:
Hi everyone:

I passed my test today with a full mark "20 out of 20". The test was really easy.

This is how it went:

My test was at 1:00 pm at the Scarborough office. I arrived an hour ahead, went up to the third floor and reached the very busy office.

Actually it had so many people in it like a bees nest.

We first hit the main counter where the receptionists were and they instructed on where to go. So many people were there in the main waiting front area.

I spent the entire hour waiting there and observed people being called to an area where they meet with citizenship judges. Heard an officer telling a lady to wait until she is called to see a judge.

Then, I saw other people coming for their ceremonies with their pink oath letters. We were all waiting at the same lobby in the front area. Then they started calling people waiting to write their tests like myself.

They said keep your yellow paper with you, as we will verify the location and date of it at the door before we let you in.

We lined up, went in one by one, checked in and took seats. I noticed what was written on the board at the testing room:

For the interview:

- Prepare your passport photocopies/originals

- PR card

- landing documents

- 2 IDs

- Oath will be sent within 2 to 4 months

- 20 questions, pass mark 15

- Test is 30 minutes time limit

They were actually nice enough to ask before we started the test "who did not bring photocopies of passports". Then they took their passports, photocopied them, and brought them back to the applicants along with the photocopies.

They gave us instructions on how to fill in the answer sheet step by step:

- Write down your case ID number on the top right side. One number only per blank

- Highlight the circle underneath each blank you filled that has the same number you wrote in it

- Write down your family name on the top left side. One letter each blank

- Highlight the circle underneath each blank you filled that has the same letter you wrote in it

- Highlight the circles for the appropriate answers. One circle each question

- Each question has 4 choices from A to D, except the true and false ones which have 2 choices only A or B

- The answer sheet has something like 25 blanks. However, the questions are 20 only, so you will be filling answers from number 1 to number 20 only on the answer sheet

- You will have to write down your full name, test date and time in the provided space

- You will be asked to sign the top left side of the answer sheet

- You will be asked not to write anything on the test booklet at all

- They told us not to worry about which version of the test we have. They said don't fill in the space provided for the veriosn on the top right side. Even though it was showing on the test booklet and there is an available space for it on the answer sheet

There was a lady sitting with us in the testing room who got pulled out of room by one of the officials.

They told her "you are over 55 and not supposed to write the test". I wasn't paying attention how did they find out before we started the test.

What I heard got my attention when they said to her "can you please take all of your stuff and come with us".

I thought she was in trouble first. However, I heard the officer telling her later "you are over 55, you are here only for verification not testing".

They started calling people over 55 first when we were outside the room saying whoever is 55 or over, and here for verification please proceed to a certain room.

Apparently, that lady did not pay attention and lined up with us.

They supplied pencils and asked if anyone would like to write the test in French.

The officer said the following:

You have to pass this test in order to proceed ahead in your application.

To pass, you have to get 15 out of 20. If you get 14 out of 20, you fail the written test and will be scheduled for another test within 4 to 8 months.

She said, you must as well pass the English assessment conversation with the officer during the interview.

She said, when you are asked questions, give full answers and do not keep it short.

She said that is the only way for us to assess your English speaking skills.

She said, if you pass the written test and fail the English assessment during the interview, you will be scheduled to see a citizenship judge, which takes 2 more years to take place.

She said, circle the case ID Number on your yellow letter and write it down on your answer sheet on the provided space.

She gave full instructions on how to fill the answer sheet step by step before we started. Then we proceeded to the test.

It is a 30 minutes time test, but it takes less than 10 minutes to answer.

She said, when you go out, please do not discuss the test questions with anyone here, and if we see that happening, we will take an action against you immediately.

Whoever was done with the test, proceeded to the interview room, which has seats in it for the applicants to wait until their names are called.

The room had around 6 desks in it for the immigration officers who were interviewing people at the same time.

They were walking to one table which has our files on it brought from the testing room, pulling them one by one, calling our names.

I had to wait there around 12 minutes to be called and interviewed.

The officer was very polite and kind. Actually from my observation, all of the officers were very polite, kind and patient with people in general.

My interview took around 7 minutes. Was asked to present the original passports, PR card, landing papers, IDs and passport photocopies.

I even asked the officer if she wanted the photocopies of all of the mentioned documents, she said no, we have them all on file. She said she only needs the passports photocopies.

She checked the passport quickly, asked me if I still work full time, I said yes and kept talking to here about my job, education, and my career goals in the future here in Canada.

She wished me the best of luck, and told me without me asking her that oath will take from 2 to 4 months.

I thanked her and said before I left, "just to confirm, the waiting time is 4 months". She said, not really, it is 2 or even might be way faster than that.

That was it. Then I left the room, and went out again to see the huge line up for ceremony and other tests.

The actual testing and interview time it took since the moment I lined up for the test to the moment I stepped out of the interview room was around an hour "plus/minus"

Some stuff that I have noticed about the Scarborough office:

- It is an extremely busy office "from the number of people I have seen there"

- Officers in general are very polite and patient with people, even the ones who were not paying attention to the instructions

I saw a guy today coming with his test letter to reschedule as he said he was not ready for it. The senior officer told him politely that he has to send them a letter informing them about it, and stating the reasons.

She said, that it is the official way to be done. The guy actually did not seem happy and gave her an attitude kind of yelling saying " you don't understand what I am saying, you are not getting the point".

She was so polite, patient and told him," Sir, this is the way you have to do it. You should send us a letter stating the fact that you need to reschedule your test."

The guy didn't look happy at all and left the office angry.

I have noticed one more thing:

When the officials were asking people to get their yellow or pink paper out to present them during the line up, some people were not listing and kept their letters inside of their envelops.

The officers looked so pissed off as some people were not listing or even paying any attention to what they were told. However, they still dealt with it professionally and politely.

That was my experience for today, and good luck everyone.
Wow, I just saw this! I am so so happy for you, Congratulations professional 1! do you know when is your Oath ? You must be so relieved, all the waiting is behind now, so great! Thanks a lot for the useful info re testing day. All the very best to you! oh and I am still waiting ;D no test yet.

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yolka said:
Wow, I just saw this! I am so so happy for you, Congratulations professional 1! do you know when is your Oath ? You must be so relieved, all the waiting is behind now, so great! Thanks a lot for the useful info re testing day. All the very best to you! oh and I am still waiting ;D no test yet.
Thanks Yolka,

I am actually so relieved :)

Yes my Oath is scheduled for next week January, 16.

I am sure you will hear the good news soon regarding your application.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
professional 1 said:
Thanks Yolka,

Congratulations professional 1! :) Have you been given the oath letter on the spot?

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
Congratulations professional 1! :) Have you been given the oath letter on the spot?

Thanks Suin,

Yes, today it arrived in the mail. The pink letter "Notice to appear to take the Oath of citizenship" with the Permission release -Media consent form "pink in color as well", and a white letter called information sheet for candidates. All in one envelop.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
professional 1 said:
Thanks Yolka,

I am actually so relieved :)

Great! Congratulations once again! and Thank you, I do hope very much that I will have my test this year.

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yolka said:
Great! Congratulations once again! and Thank you, I do hope very much that I will have my test this year.
Thank you. Hopefully you will have your test very soon.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
professional 1 said:
Be positive. The letter is just a generic format notice that they have been sending to applicants recently. The point is the purpose of the letter. It seems to me that they are trying to move forward with applications.
Well, things moved along a lot faster than I had though:

2012-10-25: Application sent to CPC-Sydney
2012-10-29: Application delivered to CPC-Sydney as per FedEx
2012-12-10: Status changed to "Received" in eCAS
2012-12-24: Letter (dated December 5th) and study guide received
2013-02-22: Application in process as per eCAS
2013-08-23: RQ letter received (Dated August 16th)
2013-09-27: RQ delivered to Scarborough office
2014-01-06: Received "notice to prepare for citizenship exam" from St. Clair CIC, dated Dec. 20th.
2014-01-15: Received "notice to appear - to write citizenship test and for verification of identity/documents" on Jan. 28th from St. Clair CIC, dated Jan. 14th.

This begs the question, has my RQ already been processed, or do they issue test dates before they clear your RQ?

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
Well, things moved along a lot faster than I had though:

2012-10-25: Application sent to CPC-Sydney
2012-10-29: Application delivered to CPC-Sydney as per FedEx
2012-12-10: Status changed to "Received" in eCAS
2012-12-24: Letter (dated December 5th) and study guide received
2013-02-22: Application in process as per eCAS
2013-08-23: RQ letter received (Dated August 16th)
2013-09-27: RQ delivered to Scarborough office
2014-01-06: Received "notice to prepare for citizenship exam" from St. Clair CIC, dated Dec. 20th.
2014-01-15: Received "notice to appear - to write citizenship test and for verification of identity/documents" on Jan. 28th from St. Clair CIC, dated Jan. 14th.

This begs the question, has my RQ already been processed, or do they issue test dates before they clear your RQ?

First of all, congratulations on getting your test invitation letter. See, things are going well now.

Regarding your question,

It is actually the second case on this forum I have seen for someone to report this kind of e-case update:

"notice to appear for verification of identity/documents" on Jan. 28th from St. Clair CIC, dated Jan. 14th

I thought the person was over 50 but he told me no, and he found this update along with his test invitation update.

CIC website says that they only invite you for the test if you clear up everything else. At least, this has been the case for so long. With that being said, I think they are following a new procedure in updating e-case as well as processing RQs.

I think they are trying to move faster to clear up the backlog for cases that have submitted all required documents and just waiting to be verified and approved by CIC officials.

In short answer of your question,

I think yes, they have already processed your RQ documents and just need to verify them at your presence on the test day. Then, your application is back on track like normal applications waiting for the oath date soon.

Good news Swede, rock it, and good luck with the rest of the process.

proxy

Dec 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a question, I see during interview they require:

1. PR card
2. Landing documents
3. 2 IDs
4. Passport

What can those 2 IDs be? I have a drivers license for one. What is the other ID that you guys have? My medicare card doesn't have a picture on it.

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
proxy said:

1. PR card
2. Landing documents
3. 2 IDs
4. Passport

What can those 2 IDs be? I have a drivers license for one. What is the other ID that you guys have? My medicare card doesn't have a picture on it.
Do you mean your provincial health card does not have a photo on it ?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Thanks for the kind words! :)

They want me to bring originals of e.g. my birth certificate (which doesn't exist in my country), what else do I need to bring besides my passports, IMM1000 and IDs?

proxy said:

1. PR card
2. Landing documents
3. 2 IDs
4. Passport

The checklist I got lists driver's licence, health card and PR card and I have a feeling that your passport is valid ID as well.

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
Thanks for the kind words! :)

They want me to bring originals of e.g. my birth certificate (which doesn't exist in my country), what else do I need to bring besides my passports, IMM1000 and IDs?
Ignore the birth certificate thing. You only need to bring that document if it was originally sent in support of your application. It is given in the test invitation letter just as an example, I didn't bring it.

Just to be in the safe side, prepare copies of all of the documents you submitted with your RQ and take them with you. If you have got the originals, it would be even better.

Place them in a different envelop than the one that has your PR card, Health card, landing papers, and passport.

When you start the interview, only present documents that the officer verbally asks you to. Make sure you don't give them anything they don't verbally ask for during the interview.

For example, if they only ask for PR cards, landing papers, health card, and passport, which they will definitely do, only show them those documents.

Keep the others inside of the other envelop you have and present them only if they ask to.

This way, you don't confuse them or open the door for any unnecessary hassle that might lead to possible delays.

Just try to keep the process nice, short and extremely to the point regarding the documents you hand in during the interview.

Don't forget, when they ask questions during the interview, they are testing your English speaking skills as well, so make sure you give full answers to show your fluency in English.

Good luck again.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
professional 1 said:
Ignore the birth certificate thing. You only need to bring that document if it was originally sent in support of your application. It is given in the test invitation letter just as an example, I didn't bring it.

Just to be in the safe side, prepare copies of all of the documents you submitted with your RQ and take them with you. If you have got the originals, it would be even better.

Place them in a different envelop than the one that has your PR card, Health card, landing papers, and passport.

When you start the interview, only present documents that the officer verbally asks you to. Make sure you don't give them anything they don't verbally ask for during the interview.

For example, if they only ask for PR cards, landing papers, health card, and passport, which they will definitely do, only show them those documents.

Keep the others inside of the other envelop you have and present them only if they ask to.

This way, you don't confuse them or open the door for any unnecessary hassle that might lead to possible delays.

Just try to keep the process nice, short and extremely to the point regarding the documents you hand in during the interview.

Don't forget, when they ask questions during the interview, they are testing your English speaking skills as well, so make sure you give full answers to show your fluency in English.

Good luck again.
Some of the originals (bank statements) I already sent with my RQ and new ones won't get here in time for my test. I can bring rental agreements and the like, but that's about what I have left.