+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just obtained my PR outside Canada- questions about landing

salp

Apr 18, 2013
Hi all,

My PR was approved under the Québec experience program (studied at McGill). The whole process took almost 2 years, and 8 months before I got approval, I was offered a fully funded PhD position in the UK, which I accepted.

I need to land in Canada by the 15th of June. I plan to land in Vancouver, where my sister lives, apply for my PR (giving my sister's address) and then leave to come back to the UK. I have 2.5 yrs left in my PhD and I intend to settle in Canada after my PhD.

My questions are-

1) Do I need a PR card to leave Canada to return to the UK? (My sister will FedEx it to me once it arrives at her place, but I can't stay there till it arrives due to my studies)

2) Will it be a problem that my provided address is in Vancouver and not Montreal?

3) Is there anything else I need to consider in this situation? (I am aware of the 730 day obligation)

Merci beaucoup!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I strongly suggest that you land in Quebec if at all possible since you got your PR through their program. Immigration officers tend to be suspicious of people who apply through a provincial program and do not land in their province. They could actually put your PR on hold and forward your case to Quebec immigration where you would have an appointment at some point in the future to explain your intentions.

After landing in Quebec, you can go visit your sister in BC. When you land, if you can not give a Quebec address, then don't give an address. Just tell them you don't have one and you will let them know later. You can go to a UPS store in Quebec and set up an address and have it forward to your sister in BC or just leave your PR card until later when you are ready to move to Canada.