+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just got PR, but did not include wife. Please help how to sponsor wife

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
Hi All,

I need sincere advise. I just got my PR visa (Aug 2010) from Buffalo. I applied last year from the US. I have not landed in Canada yet.

I got married in March 2010, but I did not inform the visa office so that I don't disturb my visa process, and add further delays.

Now that I have got the PR, what should I do about my wife? Will there be a problem if I apply for her visitor visa? Will the the Buffalo office find out that I did not inform them about my marital status when my PR application was in process?

Really appreciate your advise/help.

Thanks.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You are supposed to inform the visa office right away about changes in status, such as a marriage. If you land without telling CIC, the visa office, and the border official that you are married, you will never be able to sponsor your wife to Canada.
My advice: don't land. Tell the visa office right away about your marriage. They'll cancel your visa and reprocess it, with your wife included.
What kind of visa did you get? FSW? It makes a difference.

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
I got FSW as one of the designated 38 occupations last year. However, now my occupation is not there in the CIC list. I will never we able to apply for myself again.

I have never lied, and it sounds real bad. But, can I land as single, and update my wife's info later on to the CIC? May be I can tell them that I got married after I got the PR visa.

Really appreciate your help!

MrsCasanova

Jul 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2009
Doc's Request.
01-17-2010
Med's Request
10 - 07- 2009
Med's Done....
0 - 07 - 2009
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
01-17-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
if you dont want to tell cic, i would wait until you have citizenship first, otherwise they might take your pr away. trust me they will find out if you lie and tell them you got married after

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
visiting_canada said:
I got FSW as one of the designated 38 occupations last year. However, now my occupation is not there in the CIC list. I will never we able to apply for myself again.

I have never lied, and it sounds real bad. But, can I land as single, and update my wife's info later on to the CIC? May be I can tell them that I got married after I got the PR visa.
Even if you tell them you got married after you got the PR visa, you still have to tell CIC and the visa office right away before you land. If you try to land, you must tell the border official you have gotten married. If you don't, and you apply to sponsor her later, her PR application will be denied.
If you land as single, and try to update your wife's info later, you will never be able to sponsor her to Canada, and you run the risk of losing your own PR.
You could claim you got married after you landed in Canada, and then sponsor her, but keep in mind that when you sponsor a spouse you have to prove your relationship is genuine. You have to describe how the relationship developed and give as much evidence of this development as possible. Lying about your wedding date, and your relationship before and after the wedding, will be difficult.

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks a lot Canadianwoman.

I am really in a fix. I do not know what to do. If I inform CIC about my status before I land, they WILL cancel my PR visa, and ask me to re-apply.

As my occupation is no more in the new FSW list, I will not get PR again.

Thanks again for the info. Please suggest me what is the best I can do.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Could your wife possibly come as a FSW as well? I really don't know what else you could do. They are pretty strict about informing them of changes in your family.

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
Even if she is eligible for FSW, she will HAVE to include me in her application. I don't know if it will create any problems?

Can she apply for a visitor visa to Canada later on?

Thanks

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
visiting_canada said:
Even if she is eligible for FSW, she will HAVE to include me in her application. I don't know if it will create any problems?

Can she apply for a visitor visa to Canada later on?

Thanks
Have you landed Yet? And why will they take your PR away if your married?

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
i think you should come clean and face the consequences.
would you rather be in canada with out a wife?
or in Whatever country you are with your wife?
how much do you love her?
it was silly to not include her or tell the visa office. .
now you are in a terrible fix and you got to figure out which is more important to you wife or job in canada. cause long distance relationships are hard and now your poor wife will suffer.
she can come on a visitor visa, but you will not be able to sponsor her and if you do its lots and lots of lies to cover the fact that you are already married.

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
I have not landed yet, I just got my PR visa today.

Honeybird, I love my wife like anything. I just got married 3 months back, and I was in India during that time. I was really really busy with the marriage proceedings, and I did not inform the CIC back in US where my application was being processed.

I will leave anything for my wife, no question about that. I am in no hurry to land as I am back to the US, and working.

The reason I posted here is to find out a way out of this. If I tell CIC about my marriage before I land, they might cancel my PR visa, and ask me to reapply. I may not qualify for FSW this time as my occupation in no more in the New Ministerial list.

People/friends, please guide.

Thanks

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
britincanada said:
Have you landed Yet? And why will they take your PR away if your married?
You're right that it would usually be ok as long as he tells them before landing, but he is a FSW class and says that his profession is no longer eligible for this, so if his application is reprocessed, it will be turned down.

OP-If your wife is from a visa exempt country, she can come and stay as a visitor. However, she will not be able to work legally, get healthcare, etc. I'm living here as a visitor just for a few months until PR is finished and it's not a pleasant existence.

Maybe you could talk to an immigration consultant, but I'm not sure if they would tell you much differently.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
well if your wife come as FSW her self or if she enrolls in school and gets a student visa and then apply after the program for PR? dunno ifsomething like this would work. What about staying in USA?

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
If I apply for her visitor visa, she will have to put my details in the application. Will that be ok?
We can file for her visitor visa after I complete my landing. For visitor visa, we do not need to show marriage date or anything.

Will this be ok?

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
If you land without telling Buffalo that you are married you will NEVER be able sponsor your wife even if you become a citizen..by signing your application you agreed to these terms...there is no way you can lie about your marriage as CIC will want to see a marriage Certificate and if they suspect its fake they will want to see the original

All you can do is tell them and say you made an honest mistake not telling them and see what they say..if you lie and they find out they CAN revoke your PR!! Its no fun being stuck in separate countries! Or having to financially support a spouse for years with her as a Visitor!! I cant see them telling you to reapply although you may be right! But bottom line ..DONT LIE TO CIC