Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
I've always believed that my initial contact with my wife was unusual, but maybe I am wrong. How many of you who met online actually have a rather unusual story.

My wife is a violinist. I played in the past, but was stopped at 21 because I dislocated my shoulder. The injury plagued my for many years after that and stopped me from being able to play comfortably. My wife and I met on YouTube. Both of us were listening to a video of an american violinist, "Hilary Hahn", and both of us commented on that video. Our relationship developed from there. So, my wife and I would not be together were it not for Hilary Hahn.

How about the rest of you? Did you meet in an unusual way?

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
My husband and I met on a book forum. Well, it was really much like this place, but instead of 'immigration to Canada', the theme was 'Terry Goodkind'. He's a fantasy book author. I was there by accident, never read his books and was actually looking for info on another author. But the place looked interesting, so I joined. A couple of months later, I came across my husband. He was such a flirt back then, hehe.

It seems nowadays meeting online isn't an unusual thing at all. But 6.5 years ago, it was. Everybody was shocked when I told them how we met and how far away he lived. These days though, it seems everybody knows somebody who fell for someone on another continent that they've met online.

alpesantezo

Star Member
Sep 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-03-2010
File Transfer...
11-01-2010
Med's Request
16-09-2010
Med's Done....
19-09-2010
Interview........
NO!
Passport Req..
16-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2010
LANDED..........
01-01-2011
i met my husband in facebook.. he was looking for a nice trip on a place he can study spanish.. we become good friends and he found a nice school at my country.. when he was here we were already good friends and spend all his time here together.. everything started from there... he is such an amazing person... and we are alike in so many ways jeje... our common interest is our carrer im a doctor he is a nurse... and traveling.. everytime we are together we travel specially at my home country and all around.... and is interesting how can you click with someone that grew up in a complete diferent enviroment.
i really really love my man .... he is so amazing!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I met my guy on match dot com 6 years ago. My brother met his wife in an online chatroom. One of my best friends found his wife the old fashioned way....he took out a classified ad in a local newspaper (he published one of his poems, and she was hooked!).

untitled

Aug 27, 2009
I met my husband in Mopilot which is a GPRS site you access from your cellphone. He replied to a general post from me and the rest is history.

My sister met her husband on eHarmony and my brother met his wife through Plenty of Fish. The internet is such a wonderful thing :)

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Aww, I love your guys' love stories!! ;D

My husband and I met on Free Open Diary when we were 15/16 (2003) quite by accident. I hit the "Random" button and it took me to his page. We were both into the alternative lifestyle of sorts and clicked on/agreed on everything everyone else thought we were crazy for. We fell in love instantly but didn't last because of distance/age. But he promised later we'd be together... though it was again by accident we met on MySpace in 2007... he did keep his promise.

And I'm always chasing after him it would seem ::)

racoon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2010
Visa Office......
Vagerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys!
What a nice way to get a bit of distraction from the immigration process!
I met my honey the totally old fashion way, no technology involved =)) We met on a skating rink in Saskatoon (guess my accidental trip to the middle of nowhere was worth something), he could not skate so helped him out =)) and we started dating ....
Plus he was hard not to notice ... the only guy falling and swearing in Russian hahaha

There.... totally old fashioned ... and super romantic =))

diddagirl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We met in a random yahoo chat room in '03 when we were 19 and 22. I had never been in a chat room before, but due to a new job working nights, I ended up there late at night when the rest of the world was sleeping.

By no means did either of us go into the chat room expecting or looking for love, but one conversation led to another, which led to hours and hours of online chatting, which then led to 6 hours a night on the phone, and 6 months later-our first in person meeting. We were both young, and fell pretty hard. We have had our up's and downs, broke up in between, but 7 years later we are together and happier then ever :)

simpson

Star Member
Sep 4, 2008
Visa Office......
Warssaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What a great idea to talk about how people meet! such lovely stories.

Mine started 7 years ago when i accidentally added a person to my msn messenger. i thought I was adding my high-school classmate, with a e-mail ending with a emergency nr. I put down 112, as this is the Estonian emergency nr. And I didnt get my class mate(he had 911 ) - i Got one Canadian boy. We chatted every once in a while, as he said his grand parents were from Estonia. But 7 years later a friend of his saw my profile picture on his computer, and asked who am I and can he add me. And I said, okey! And the person who added me that day is the one i am married with now. For him I was a character from his fantasy book and he said I look so much like the main lady character. And he told to his other friend the same night he added me " this is the girl Im going to marry". He flew me to Canada for his first movie premier. My friends were worried that he is a internet pervert and his friends were worried that i am a green card hunter ...and e.t.c. But despite all I flew there and we fell so madly in love..and then he visited Estonia..and then me again to Canada and we got engaged...on a cliff, where the book characters did the same!. And now we are happily married for a year now. We are more and more in love every day..its crazy!. It is so weird how there is a sole mate out there for you..and its faith to decide if you accidentally find him/her :)

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
This is nice.. I don't know about you guys, but I spend a lot of my time worrying and obsessing about things that can go wrong, so it's good to focus on the wonderful reason that I'm even here!!

I met my fiance on an online role playing game. When we were 'in character' we didn't even like each other, lol, but then we started talking outside of the game, and like many of you, that evolved into phone calls, meeting in person, and the rest is history. We started dating not long after I started college, and I finished my Masters last May, which was the same month he proposed! Only took 6 years, lol! Wedding will be in April (City hall!) and we'll submit the paperwork from there! Hoping that it'll be taken care of by Christmas :)

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
uhm, my husband i actually met because he slept with a friend of mine from New Brunswick the day aftermy visit with her ended.
the day my train got in i signed online and recieved a message saying "i met a guy who is even dorkier than you, you're going to love him" and i really did.

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
Ha, sbwv09!

My husband and I met on an online game as well. It's called Second Life. It's odd because we had a totally chance meeting. Neither one of us played the game very frequently at all, I saw him and some other person chatting so I said hi... we started logging in more and more to talk then progressed to phone and text messages and such. We married 355 days after we typed our first words to eachother.

:)

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Hi fallenstar! I know of Second Life, but I've never played it. We don't play this game anymore... it's hard to explain, it's kind of like World of Warcraft, except text based instead of graphics :)

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Someone told me about the crazy "Casual Encounters" section on Craigslist, so I checked it out occasionally for fun. One day I looked at the "Men Seeking Women" column, and found a post from a guy in London, which was odd, since this was Edmonton. I was going on a Mediteranean cruise with my best friend 4 months later with 2 days in London, so I thought, "what the heck?" and sent him an email. Thought he might take us out to a club or something in London. I was recently divorced, and definitely not looking for a relationship. He, however, had been looking for 'the one' for several years, but had not found the right girl. In an act of insanity and desperation, he decided to look outside UK. He liked US, but thought perhaps Canada was a little more quiet, so he put an ad in Edmonton, because he lives near Edmonton Green in London. He didn't even know where it was, he thought Edmonton was in Ontario. :D We emailed back and forth for a few weeks, that turned into phone calls, and finally our meet in October of 2008. I liked him enough to return, and in December of 08 I fell madly in love with him, although he had been in love with me since October. In April 09 on a mini-break to Brighton he proposed, and the rest is history! We are getting married in Nigeria in April, and are keeping our fingers crossed for a complication-free sponsorship.

Nice to read everyone's stories!

ritosgirl

Star Member
Oct 26, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-30-09
AOR Received.
24-02-10
File Transfer...
28-01-10 (New York)
Med's Done....
21-10-09
Passport Req..
09-03-2010
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2010
i love everyones stories!! a nice break from the usual stress!! :)

i met my husband in bermuda (feb 2007), i had been on the island for one month working in a hotel kitchen. he had been there for one year working contruction. on a night when i didn't feel like going out... my roommate convinced me otherwise. we walked down the road to a bar, i noticed the man that would one day be my husband immediately... and by the end of the night we had a few drinks together and got to know one another. i learned that he was from azores, and didn't speak much english... and i most definitely did not speak portuguese!! this didn't stop us from starting a relationship however, a month later i was sick (with mono) and had to leave bermuda , quit my job and go back to canada to recover. we kept in touch, talking everyday... the next year july 2008 while he was here on his summer vacation we decided to get married!! and then of course... start this whole crazy process. :)