Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-12-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015
My life is on hold too. I'm the sponsor though, visiting my husband at his parents' house in the U.S. while our application processes. Sometimes I lie in bed staring into nothing all day long crying while he works (there was a lot of that on my 21st birthday...) I'm bored out of my mind, stuck in this small room. He works full-time and then he's exhausted when he comes home and plays video games. That's FINE, I would normally have no problem with it, but this stress has been taking a toll on me and causing me to have a problem with it when otherwise I wouldn't think twice. I have no responsibilities except cleaning, I have nothing to do, and I'm extremely depressed because of it, this crap has been seeping into our relationship and causing us to fight, and we never fight. Not like this. So you're not alone. I'm not alone. We have to remember that this is temporary, and we need to be positive, not negative. The positive is, at least we're together. That's what we chose. I much rather be together depressed than be apart depressed.

iiiEllie

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2015
Doc's Request.
20-02-2016, 10-03-2016
AOR Received.
02-10-2015
File Transfer...
16-10-2015
Med's Done....
29-07-2015
Passport Req..
DM 29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2016
LANDED..........
26-04-2016
SuiGeneris said:
My life is on hold too. I'm the sponsor though, visiting my husband at his parents' house in the U.S. while our application processes. Sometimes I lie in bed staring into nothing all day long crying while he works. I'm bored out of my mind, stuck in this small room. He works full-time and then he's exhausted when he comes home and plays video games. That's FINE, I would normally have no problem with it, but this stress has been taking a toll on me and causing me to have a problem with it when otherwise I wouldn't think twice. I have no responsibilities except cleaning, I have nothing to do, and I'm extremely depressed because of it, this crap has been seeping into our relationship and causing us to fight, and we never fight. Not like this. So you're not alone. I'm not alone. We have to remember that this is temporary, and we need to be positive, not negative. The positive is, at least we're together. That's what we chose. I much rather be together depressed than be apart depressed.
Oh I know this feeling. I'm also visiting my husband at his parents in the US, at least we have an entire finished basement to spend our time in, I sympathize with you completely. But we're going back to Canada after we get our SA. I miss home way too much, left my dog, and a house with all of it's bills that I'm paying for while I'm in the US. My husband is working full time, and I am able to continue working via VPN with my work. But do I EVER miss feeling like an adult, I LOVE my in-laws, but not having a house to clean, groceries to buy, and meals to cook is making me go insane. Tack on that we're flying back so I can't buy anything while I'm here for the house, and I am going insane. Haha. It's been a long three months.

We are indeed lucky that we have the means to be together through this process, as crazy inducing as it can be. :)

SuiGeneris

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-12-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015
This is free time for those of us in limbo. We can do anything we want. We can take up a new hobby. Learn new skills, discover new interests. We can volunteer. Learn an instrument, get into sports, cooking, sewing, pottery, writing, reading, photography, gardening, whatever. Catch up on your favorite TV series. It's endless. There is a hidden opportunity in this free time. :D

SuiGeneris

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-12-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015
iiiEllie said:
Oh I know this feeling. I'm also visiting my husband at his parents in the US, at least we have an entire finished basement to spend our time in, I sympathize with you completely. But we're going back to Canada after we get our SA. I miss home way too much, left my dog, and a house with all of it's bills that I'm paying for while I'm in the US. My husband is working full time, and I am able to continue working via VPN with my work. But do I EVER miss feeling like an adult, I LOVE my in-laws, but not having a house to clean, groceries to buy, and meals to cook is making me go insane. Tack on that we're flying back so I can't buy anything while I'm here for the house, and I am going insane. Haha. It's been a long three months.

We are indeed lucky that we have the means to be together through this process, as crazy inducing as it can be. :)
Our room is a small 10 by 10, I get extremely frustrated because there's no space for me to even unpack my stuff. I keep all my clothes and belongings in my suitcases. And the room is always looking like a pigsty because there's literally nowhere to put our stuff away in. And I'm claustrophobic so being in here all day and night makes me want to break through my own skin at times. So you feel good about that basement. Hehe, and I'll feel good too because someone somewhere always has it worse. We have similar plans! Well I've been here since June, our app was received two days ago and we intend to go to Canada together after SA.

And I feel like that too, I can't buy what I want for our place because of the border and we're trying to cross low-key and avoid attracting suspicion (I drove here and we're driving back - I'm from GTA and he's from Pittsburgh).

But you know what, I feel better knowing I'm not alone.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
SuiGeneris said:
Our room is a small 10 by 10, I get extremely frustrated because there's no space for me to even unpack my stuff. I keep all my clothes and belongings in my suitcases. And the room is always looking like a pigsty because there's literally nowhere to put our stuff away in. And I'm claustrophobic so being in here all day and night makes me want to break through my own skin at times. So you feel good about that basement. Hehe, and I'll feel good too because someone somewhere always has it worse. We have similar plans! Well I've been here since June, our app was received two days ago and we intend to go to Canada together after SA.

And I feel like that too, I can't buy what I want for our place because of the border and we're trying to cross low-key and avoid attracting suspicion (I drove here and we're driving back - I'm from GTA and he's from Pittsburgh).

But you know what, I feel better knowing I'm not alone.
I can understand where you guys are coming from, our situation is a bit different but we are still living with his parents here in Canada for the time being. We can't really unpack our stuff and as much as I love and appreciate everything (and I do SO MUCH :) his family are AMAZING!) I just miss my own space and feel guilty as hell admitting that ::)

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
SuiGeneris said:
This is free time for those of us in limbo. We can do anything we want. We can take up a new hobby. Learn new skills, discover new interests. We can volunteer. Learn an instrument, get into sports, cooking, sewing, pottery, writing, reading, photography, gardening, whatever. Catch up on your favorite TV series. It's endless. There is a hidden opportunity in this free time. :D
This.

The first few months I sat about feeling sorry for myself being in 'limbo' but now I am going out and doing stuff. There are so many people who would love to have this time off to do whatever they want. I realise once I start working I will probably never have an opportunity like this again until retirement.

I have started doing pilates 3-4 times a week. And I am going to take up flower arranging classes. I have also started reading more. I used to read all of the time but during school that stopped but now I have all of the time in the world.
I also did an online course (through UK) for digital marketing. My common-law partner is willing to pay for any hobby, he wants me to be happy and doing activities. :)

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
km9203 said:
This.

The first few months I sat about feeling sorry for myself being in 'limbo' but now I am going out and doing stuff. There are so many people who would love to have this time off to do whatever they want. I realise once I start working I will probably never have an opportunity like this again until retirement.

I have started doing pilates 3-4 times a week. And I am going to take up flower arranging classes. I have also started reading more. I used to read all of the time but during school that stopped but now I have all of the time in the world.
I also did an online course (through UK) for digital marketing. My common-law partner is willing to pay for any hobby, he wants me to be happy and doing activities. :)
I just drink wine with my wife and watch horror movies, this is more supportive than flower arranging classes for us while waiting for CIC to do their thing, to each his own I guess...

iiiEllie

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2015
Doc's Request.
20-02-2016, 10-03-2016
AOR Received.
02-10-2015
File Transfer...
16-10-2015
Med's Done....
29-07-2015
Passport Req..
DM 29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2016
LANDED..........
26-04-2016
o6ocpaka said:
I just drink wine with my wife and watch horror movies, this is more supportive than flower arranging classes for us while waiting for CIC to do their thing, to each his own I guess...
My husband and I go back to Canada the middle of this month. I have an 80 mile list of house maintenance for him. :)

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
iiiEllie said:
My husband and I go back to Canada the middle of this month. I have an 80 mile list of house maintenance for him. :)
haha, make sure interlock driveway and sauna is on the list ;)

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
o6ocpaka said:
My common law partner works full time during the week so I do those classes during the day to stay busy, meet people and not get cabin fever... :)

gooh

Jul 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2015
AOR Received.
23-4-2015
File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 14-8-2015 DM: 15-12-2015
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
I understand that cabin fever can set in and cause numerous issues with boredom, but I honestly couldn't fathom being depressed as long as I could be with my partner. Good luck to everyone.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
If it helps, we applied Jan 2014 and nothing has been done to this day. Our visa office is Dakar. Current processing time is 21 months (was 23 months when we applied).

We are also apart and my husband can't get a visitor visa. So I have been travelling once a year which is not cheap. Fortunately, my boss understands and lets me take my vacation(4 weeks) in one go. I know a lady with 2 kids who did not see her husband for almost 4 yrs. He finally arrived in August and saw his son in person for the first time since his birth.

Being in limbo is difficult; add being apart and you are really stuck. I would much prefer my husband was here waiting. He could be getting his certifications, volunteering, building networks, etc that would be helpful when he can work. That said, I keep reminding myself it is only temporary. Tough times don't last. I also rely a lot on my faith and support from friends and family. Hang in there everyone, it will be over soon.

SuiGeneris

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-12-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015
gooh said:
I understand that cabin fever can set in and cause numerous issues with boredom, but I honestly couldn't fathom being depressed as long as I could be with my partner. Good luck to everyone.
Sometimes it's hard to feel empathy for situations you've never had the misfortune of being in. I've struggled with depression all my life, and as a result I've shown to be more prone to falling into self-destructive patterns. I hate it, don't accept it, and I'm hellbent on fixing myself. But depression is my disposition because I've been depressed for as long as I can remember.

Depression is a real, ongoing, debilitating circumstance for some people, and a daily struggle for me. It's not just a light matter of having a crabby day. People who don't have depression might shrug it off as a non-issue, like my entire family does, but that is ignorance.

SuiGeneris

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-12-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015
o6ocpaka said:
It's like you made no effort to conceive the message. No one said to take flower arranging classes.

SuiGeneris

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-12-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015
km9203 said:
This.

I love this! This is so cool and inspiring. For four months I moped around feeling sorry for myself but today I'm officially done. I'm here for two more months and I'm gonna make it count.

Thank you for this wonderful dose of positivity!