06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
Hello everyone,

I am sure there a lot of folks like me who are preparing to submit their citizenship application in June. With that being said, I did some readings and decided to open this thread a bit ahead of time so we can start exchanging information and support each other throughout this long process/journey as it seems to be taking at least 18 to 24 months for most of us.

Here is the link that has the timelines of the applicants ahead of us in 2021: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iXCMs0mYtJZwYTTIH3LDmHK1tgK7yqAgQ5Jfyxv7BEI/edit#gid=1316748968
2020 applicants': https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U27V95kWlCVYWB0zye7DvqoXSkyqxgbA31eEJ_TKO6Y/edit#gid=2093304809

You may submit your application either:
  1. by paper: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-adults.html (submitted either by regular mail or expedited courier) or
  2. by online: https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing
On the timelines provided above, you can see that paper applicants have been getting their AOR (Acknowledgment of Receipt - the very 1st step of the application process confirming that IRCC has your application) at least 3 to 5 months ahead of the online applicants, which is quite contrary to popular belief considering the COVID-19 protocols are in place. I too used to think that online was much faster and convenient but after reading the timelines, I am now convinced to submit mine by paper. Apparently there is a huge backlog with the online applications, and as far as I can see on the 2020 timelines, there are only 2 online applicants from early January who just received their AORs after 4 and a half months, while average paper applicants are getting theirs after 2 months or less.

So moving forward, please feel free to share your thoughts and exchange information, and good luck to you all!

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019

MericaEh

May 19, 2021
I know this isn't going to settle well with some but I just wanted to share my opinion and I hope no one takes it personally. I believe IRCC will set a target for themselves to process all new applications within one year - as they did pre-COVID. As it has previously been the case, at some point (can't remember the date off the top of my head), IRCC had a backlog of citizenship applications where they were sort of processed separately, i.e., took way longer than newer applications. We can already see this trend where a number of applications from July 2019 are still in the testing queue, while a bunch of 2020 applications are already being finalized. In the back of my head, I relate this to when your flight gets cancelled due to a mechanical issue, even though it's not your fault, they wouldn't off-board everyone booked on the next flight out and book you in instead. I know this is unfair and I hope this is not the route they're planning on taking and that they work on increasing their processing capacity instead. Wishing everyone all the best.

Last edited:

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Thanks for starting this thread and sharing the links! I'm planning to submit my application the weekend of June 19-20. It's disappointing to see that people submitting online are taking a lot longer to receive AOR. I hope processing after AOR might be faster to make up for the late AOR? I pretty much need to apply online as I do not have access to a printer or photocopier to submit a paper application. I pray that IRCC starts catching up faster after we have a better handle on vaccinations and the pandemic overall in a few months but that might be just wishful thinking. :confused:

Goldenita

Jun 29, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I came across the IRCC application status link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html and found a few good-to-know estimated processing times as shown below as of May 24, 2021:

So currently it is taking about 6 weeks for AOR, and 2 years and 2 weeks for the entire process to complete WOW o_O
Let's all buckle up for the long road, it's gonna be a fun ride :cool:
Hi which site do you see the May finalizing part

Reactions: barsarah

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Thanks for starting this thread and sharing the links! I'm planning to submit my application the weekend of June 19-20. It's disappointing to see that people submitting online are taking a lot longer to receive AOR. I hope processing after AOR might be faster to make up for the late AOR? I pretty much need to apply online as I do not have access to a printer or photocopier to submit a paper application. I pray that IRCC starts catching up faster after we have a better handle on vaccinations and the pandemic overall in a few months but that might be just wishful thinking. :confused:
You can fill out all at once and send it to Staples for printing. This is very simple.

• Haha
Reactions: barsarah

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
Reactions: Goldenita

GargiS

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am sure there a lot of folks like me who are preparing to submit their citizenship application in June. With that being said, I did some readings and decided to open this thread a bit ahead of time so we can start exchanging information and support each other throughout this long process/journey as it seems to be taking at least 18 to 24 months for most of us.

Here is the link that has the timelines of the applicants ahead of us in 2021: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iXCMs0mYtJZwYTTIH3LDmHK1tgK7yqAgQ5Jfyxv7BEI/edit#gid=1316748968
2020 applicants': https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U27V95kWlCVYWB0zye7DvqoXSkyqxgbA31eEJ_TKO6Y/edit#gid=2093304809

You may submit your application either:
  1. by paper: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-adults.html (submitted either by regular mail or expedited courier) or
  2. by online: https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing
On the timelines provided above, you can see that paper applicants have been getting their AOR (Acknowledgment of Receipt - the very 1st step of the application process confirming that IRCC has your application) at least 3 to 5 months ahead of the online applicants, which is quite contrary to popular belief considering the COVID-19 protocols are in place. I too used to think that online was much faster and convenient but after reading the timelines, I am now convinced to submit mine by paper. Apparently there is a huge backlog with the online applications, and as far as I can see on the 2020 timelines, there are only 2 online applicants from early January who just received their AORs after 4 and a half months, while average paper applicants are getting theirs after 2 months or less.

So moving forward, please feel free to share your thoughts and exchange information, and good luck to you all!
Thank you for starting this thread for June 2021 applicants. I will be applying too in June 2021 and looking forward to connect with everyone here.

nvteja

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
I was initially leaning towards online application as well, but with the lack of AORs I think I am going to submit a paper application instead.… unless something drastically changes in the next week or two.

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
I was initially leaning towards online application as well, but with the lack of AORs I think I am going to submit a paper application instead.… unless something drastically changes in the next week or two.
Highly doubt it'll happen soon with so many applicants who are still super behind unless what @MericaEh said happens and we skip the line, which is unfortunate and unfair to others.
I know this isn't going to settle well with some but I just wanted to share my opinion and I hope no one takes it personally. I believe IRCC will set a target for themselves to process all new applications within one year - as they did pre-COVID. As it has previously been the case, at some point (can't remember the date off the top of my head), IRCC had a backlog of citizenship applications where they were sort of processed separately, i.e., took way longer than newer applications. We can already see this trend where a number of applications from July 2019 are still in the testing queue, while a bunch of 2020 applications are already being finalized. In the back of my head, I relate this to when your flight gets cancelled due to a mechanical issue, even though it's not your fault, they wouldn't off-board everyone booked on the next flight out and book you in instead. I know this is unfair and I hope this is not the route they're planning on taking and that they work on increasing their processing capacity instead. Wishing everyone all the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: nvteja

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Me too. I had filled out my application online and had all the documents including photos uploaded on my online application but now I will not submit online and have started filling out paper app.

Online application is not worth the risk. 100s of people are still waiting after 5-6 months to receive AOR while the majority of paper ones have already received AOR and have moved on to further steps.

Reactions: barsarah and nvteja

nvteja

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Me too. I had filled out my application online and had all the documents including photos uploaded on my online application but now I will not submit online and have started filling out paper app.

Online application is not worth the risk. 100s of people are still waiting after 5-6 months to receive AOR while the majority of paper ones have already received AOR and have moved on to further steps.
funny, I did the same haha. I just have to press submit on the online application, but I am not going to. I have filled my paper application as well and will submit it in 2 weeks (giving a 15 day buffer as a precaution).

barsarah

Oct 3, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
12-09-2018
AOR Received.
11-10-2018
Med's Request
06-12-2018
Med's Done....
06-12-2018
Interview........
06-06-2019
LANDED..........
06-06-2019
Good luck to you guys! Same as @nvteja, I am planning to submit mine on June 15 as well. Probably gonna Fedex/UPS it with tracking number and stuff. I suggest you to the same thing so you would know if it goes missing and/or you would have a paper trail of it when delivered. I just need to figure out what I need to enter on the physical presence calculator about my out-of-status period while waiting for my PR approval.

Last edited:

Glory. A. O

Jan 21, 2021
funny, I did the same haha. I just have to press submit on the online application, but I am not going to. I have filled my paper application as well and will submit it in 2 weeks (giving a 15 day buffer as a precaution).
I think the reason many online applications are not receiving AOR is because they applied even though they were not selected to.
For some time now on the IRCC page, there is a notice that people are being randomly selected to apply online. To know that you have been selected, you will be able to access the online application portal through the link on that notice. It was available to me once, but I have no intention of applying online.
However people have circumvented the random selection process by going directly to the online application portal to apply.
I believe the volume of online applications is more than they expected and so they are giving preference to people who applied using the correct (random selection) route.

Reactions: funloving