+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****JUNE 2018 INLAND Application****

Cp2711

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
Hi guys how can I get the pdf file showing approval of owp. I want to apply for trv I need one. Do we get it by email or is it in our cic account?

wallbr

Star Member
May 7, 2018
App. Filed.......
13-07-2018
AOR Received.
30-08-2018
So I have one question.
They gave me a OWP tell 2020 and an eTA valid tell 2023. What that means?

andybc

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
So I have one question.
They gave me a OWP tell 2020 and an eTA valid tell 2023. What that means?
If you are from a visa-exempt country you still need eTA to enter Canada by air (which is automatically linked to your passport; no document is issued).

The application for an eTA is simple and online. It takes about 10 minutes and costs $7. They are usually approved within a few minutes/hours.

eTA is valid for 5 years, while for the OWP they seem to follow a standard of 2 years validity, unless your passport is about to expire.

As part of issuing a work permit they seem to always include an eTA as well, no matter whether it is still valid or not. I got my first eTA (which was valid until 2020) automatically when they issued my letter of introduction for my working holiday visa and now again for my PR sponsorship OWP.

If, good fortune willing, we become PRs next June or so, we will never need an eTA again, so it will become irrelevant at that point anyway.

Edit: Since I always thought Brazil is not a visa-exempt country, out of interest I looked into it further. Apparently, since last year, Brazilians who have been issued a visitor visa to Canada within the past 10 years are visa-exempt going forward (so Brazilians will only need a visitor visa every 10 years, as far as I understand it)

I would hold on to your visitor visa document anyway, just in case.

Last edited:

wallbr

Star Member
May 7, 2018
App. Filed.......
13-07-2018
AOR Received.
30-08-2018
If you are from a visa-exempt country you still need eTA to enter Canada by air (which is automatically linked to your passport; no document is issued).

The application for an eTA simple and online. It takes about 10 minutes and costs $7. They are usually approved within a few minutes/hours.

eTA is valid for 5 years, while for the OWP they seem to follow a standard of 2 years validity, unless your passport is about to expire.

As part of issuing a work permit they seem to always include an eTA as well, no matter whether it is still valid or not. I got my first eTA (which was valid until 2020) automatically when they issued my letter of introduction for my working holiday visa and now again for my PR sponsorship OWP.

If, good fortune willing, we become PRs next June or so, we will never need an eTA again, so it will become irrelevant at that point anyway.

Edit: Since I always thought Brazil is not a visa-exempt country, out of interest I looked into it further. Apparently, since last year, Brazilians who have been issued a visitor visa to Canada within the past 10 years are visa-exempt going forward (so Brazilians will only need a visitor visa every 10 years, as far as I understand it)

I would hold on to your visitor visa document anyway, just in case.
Thank you for the amazing answer :D. That’s good to know. Yea, hopefully next year we will become PR :D. Good luck my friend!!!

nna2324

Sep 20, 2018
Does anyone know the process on how to change the conditions of your work permit? Would I have to apply again? Pay another $255?
I wasn't aware you needed to submit medicals in order to work in health care, I may have looked in the wrong area on the cic website, it showed the US was an exempt country for a medical, so I assumed I did not need to submit up front in order to apply for an unrestricted owp. I saw a thread back after some googling lastnight. Does anyone know or have experience with this?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/change-conditions-on-open-work-permit.555331/

Thronion AlbStar Member
#1Apr 19, 2018 at 3:47 AM
Hi to all...
I just want to share my experience about changing conditions on my spouse open work permit.
She was not allowed to work in healthcare services etc ( school, childcare ).
1. First step is to book an appointment with a panel of physicians ( the one in your area recomended in the CIC website ).
2. Medicals costed 338 $.
3. They submitted results in 10 days.
4. Called CIC agent about changing conditions on owp and he said that if u are from a visa exempt country, u can go to the border. If your country need a visa to enter in Canada , for changing conditions on owp we should apply in Alberta by paper or online.
5. We knew it would take a lot of time. Waited more than 1 month and than went/tried to USA border to flagpole.
6. Officer there issued a new wp without the conditions. No fee was required.
7. Its important to have with u passport, work permit, and the code IME recieved when u do medicals.

nna2324

Sep 20, 2018
And I have been trying for 3 days now, to call IRCC and the lines have been jammed right from 8AM eastern time. Won't even let me into the que.

andybc

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Does anyone know the process on how to change the conditions of your work permit? Would I have to apply again? Pay another $255?
I wasn't aware you needed to submit medicals in order to work in health care, I may have looked in the wrong area on the cic website, it showed the US was an exempt country for a medical, so I assumed I did not need to submit up front in order to apply for an unrestricted owp. I saw a thread back after some googling lastnight. Does anyone know or have experience with this?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/change-conditions-on-open-work-permit.555331/

Thronion AlbStar Member
#1Apr 19, 2018 at 3:47 AM
Hi to all...
I just want to share my experience about changing conditions on my spouse open work permit.
She was not allowed to work in healthcare services etc ( school, childcare ).
1. First step is to book an appointment with a panel of physicians ( the one in your area recomended in the CIC website ).
2. Medicals costed 338 $.
3. They submitted results in 10 days.
4. Called CIC agent about changing conditions on owp and he said that if u are from a visa exempt country, u can go to the border. If your country need a visa to enter in Canada , for changing conditions on owp we should apply in Alberta by paper or online.
5. We knew it would take a lot of time. Waited more than 1 month and than went/tried to USA border to flagpole.
6. Officer there issued a new wp without the conditions. No fee was required.
7. Its important to have with u passport, work permit, and the code IME recieved when u do medicals.
Applying again is one option, but inadvisable at this point, since it will take at least 4 months and, as you said, you would have to pay $255.

I can't really comment on how the process is to obtain medicals without a specific request by the IRCC, maybe their call centre can clarify.

Finally, you could wait till IRCC requests medicals for your PR. Once you passed your medical you could flagpole. The downside of this is that it is not clear when medicals will be requested. It could be as early as November, though (May applicants are getting requests right now).

Ecca

Oct 2, 2018
OWP finally got approved today!
Hi.. I'm still waiting..although I can't link my aplication to my account..how did you link it..some help ..
App received: June 29
AOR: Aug 9
OWP approved: Oct 10

Best of luck to any June applicants still waiting.

Zoyanova

Sep 24, 2018
Dear all,
does anybody know or maybe had the same situation: Citizenship and immigration online service returned me about 235 dollars to my credit card. No emails were sent. I have applied for PR and OWP and paid 1040 dollars.

Yogeshs

Oct 9, 2018
Dear all,
does anybody know or maybe had the same situation: Citizenship and immigration online service returned me about 235 dollars to my credit card. No emails were sent. I have applied for PR and OWP and paid 1040 dollars.
This is what happened according to me - You had to pay 1040 + 255 (for owp). But as you didnt pay 255 in the beginning, so they deducted the PR-550 and Owp-255 from 1040 and returned the balance amount. So, now later on they will ask you to pay again for RRPF fee.

Zoyanova

Sep 24, 2018
This is what happened according to me - You had to pay 1040 + 255 (for owp). But as you didnt pay 255 in the beginning, so they deducted the PR-550 and Owp-255 from 1040 and returned the balance amount. So, now later on they will ask you to pay again for RRPF fee.
The cost of OWP is 100 CAD, according to the CIC site.http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/result.asp?countrySelect=CA&lob=wp
Still did not get it- I have applied for OWP on paper along with the PR documents. I was waiting for OWP these days...