Mississgua
App. Filed.......
04 Jun 2018
AOR Received.
18-07-2018
IELTS Request
N/A
Anyone please
Call IRCC at 1888-242-2100 and ask them if you can apply online for work permit in such a situation. Without a valid passport it may be a tough call but thats my guess.

andybc

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Thank you for this! I didn't realise you could apply after receiving AOR. Did you just take in a copy of the AOR email your sponsor received?
has anyone received notification that the sponsors eligibility was being reviewed? mine still says

Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility.
Wow! that's awesome, I called the center in Ontario after I received my AOR and they told me that I have to wait until I get the DM letter which is basically towards the end of the PR application process. So on Ontario's website it states:
three separate, original (not photocopies or printouts of electronic documents) identification documents:
  • one that proves your Canadian citizenship or OHIP-eligible immigration status (e.g. Canadian birth certificate, Permanent Resident Card )
What document did you show for this section? Just print of AOR letter?
Sorry for the late reply, but here goes:

So if you are a BC resident this document provides pretty much all the information you need: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/health-drug-coverage/medical-services-plan/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

In addition to that I've also added a letter of explanation and a copy of our statutory declaration of common-law union.
Crucially, also note that the account change form you have to fill out depends on whether you have an individual MSP or if your sponsor's MSP is managed by his or her employer.

In our case, my partner's MSP is managed by her benefits coordinator at her employer, which meant we submitted all the documents directly to that person and they took care of the rest.

To sum it up you will need:
- the filled out change form (either individual or group plan depending on your situation as mentioned above)
- copy of payment receipts for the PR fees
- copy of your current immigration document (work permit or visitor record most likely)
- copy of your passport and all of its marked pages
- a print out of your online account with IRCC showing the current status of your PR application and when it was received
- if you hold US citizenship, a copy of your birth certificate (I don't know exactly why but it's listed under the required documents)
- optional but strongly advised by the benefits coordinator: copy of a civil status document

Finally, there was one minor confusing hiccup during the application process. The benefits coordinator of my partner's employer insisted that I need to apply for a BC Services Card first before I can send in the application, which was backed up by the BC Health website. After going to my nearest ICBC, they told me that I can't actually apply for a BC Services Card before BC Health has determined my eligibility, so the information given on the website is inaccurate, at least for my case. In the end, I actually received my BC Services Card in the mail and didn't have to do any further steps after sending out the application (it won't have your photo).

My apologies for this slightly wordy explanation of the application process through my lens. In the end it was actually very straightforward except for that one bit of confusion. All in all filling out the form and gathering the documents took up maybe 1-2 hours. Clearing up the confusion about the services card delayed the process by a couple of days. After actually submitting the application with the benefits coordinator it took about 4 weeks for the card to arrive in the mail.

And once again: This information applies to BC residents ONLY!

Reactions: Nisht

Nisht

Star Member
Jun 2, 2014
Canada
Wow! that's awesome, I called the center in Ontario after I received my AOR and they told me that I have to wait until I get the DM letter which is basically towards the end of the PR application process. So on Ontario's website it states:
three separate, original (not photocopies or printouts of electronic documents) identification documents:
  • one that proves your Canadian citizenship or OHIP-eligible immigration status (e.g. Canadian birth certificate, Permanent Resident Card )
What document did you show for this section? Just print of AOR letter?
So I went in person to a service ontario center as well and they confirmed that until I get the email addressed to the main applicant (not sponsor) that I am eligible for PR (which one will receive towards the very end of the PR application process) I can not apply for OHIP. BC applicants are lucky :)

andybc

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hi guys,
My OWP has been approved today,
Timeline is below,
Doc recd IRCC : 04 Jun 18
AOR : 18 Jul 18.
OWP Approved : 07 Sep 18
That's awesome! I'm a Jun 06 (AOR Jul 20) applicant, so my fingers are crossed for some good news next week personally, and for all the other early June applicants in this thread!

lcsr

Jun 5, 2018
Hi guys,
My OWP has been approved today,
Timeline is below,
Doc recd IRCC : 04 Jun 18
AOR : 18 Jul 18.
OWP Approved : 07 Sep 18
That's awesome! Was your application sent to the Mississauga office? Did you get an e-mail or did the status change on the cic website?

apache5021

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Visa Office......
Mississgua
App. Filed.......
04 Jun 2018
AOR Received.
18-07-2018
IELTS Request
N/A
That's awesome! I'm a Jun 06 (AOR Jul 20) applicant, so my fingers are crossed for some good news next week personally, and for all the other early June applicants in this thread!
All the best ! You should get it next week.

apache5021

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Visa Office......
Mississgua
App. Filed.......
04 Jun 2018
AOR Received.
18-07-2018
IELTS Request
N/A
That's awesome! Was your application sent to the Mississauga office? Did you get an e-mail or did the status change on the cic website?
Hi, Yes the application was sent to Mississauga office. The Status Changed on the CIC website to ' Your eligibility is being reviewed' in the morning. And at around 3 PM Alberta Time, the status updated to , Your eligibility has been reviewed, and below it read that the application has been approved. Details of the OWP can also be seen as you scroll down, which gives the number and validity. In my case its valid for 2 years, uptill 07 Sep 2020.

Yasir Ayub

Star Member
Jul 9, 2018
Hi All,

Was just wondering, are there any reasons for an OWP application to be rejected beside the illegal / over stay situation?
Anyone ever heard of a case where an OWP application was rejected on this forum?

Regards

Yasir Ayub

andybc

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hi All,

Was just wondering, are there any reasons for an OWP application to be rejected beside the illegal / over stay situation?
Anyone ever heard of a case where an OWP application was rejected on this forum?

Regards

Yasir Ayub
Only three other reasons would come to mind:
1) Mistakes/inconsistencies/missing documents in the OWP application (I'm not sure whether they check for that already when they receive and process the completeness of the PR application).
2) Your sponsor is found ineligible to sponsor before the OWP is processed.
3) Your passport expired between applying for the OWP and the OWP being processed.

So far I have only read of a case where someone's passport expired shortly after the OWP was issued. So their OWP ended up being valid for only a few weeks.

It has to be a very rare case. Just like with working holiday visas the process on their end is very short and they pretty much only determine whether you are eligible for the permit based on your personal circumstances. So basically: Were you in status throughout the process? Are you being sponsored for PR and has that application not been rejected yet? Do you have a valid passport?

Reactions: yuki_kjo

Yasir Ayub

Star Member
Jul 9, 2018
1) Mistakes/inconsistencies/missing documents in the OWP application (I'm not sure whether they check for that already when they receive and process the completeness of the PR application).
3) Your passport expired between applying for the OWP and the OWP being processed.

So far I have only read of a case where someone's passport expired shortly after the OWP was issued. So their OWP ended up being valid for only a few weeks.

It has to be a very rare case. Just like with working holiday visas the process on their end is very short and they pretty much only determine whether you are eligible for the permit based on your personal circumstances. So basically: Were you in status throughout the process? Are you being sponsored for PR and has that application not been rejected yet? Do you have a valid passport?

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the detailed answer, feel better now as i was not sure what are the approval criteria's.
My OWP application was submitted on 20th June so lets see.

Regard

Yasir Ayub

Star Member
Jul 9, 2018

To answer you questions:
Were you in status throughout the process? - Yes, visitor visa valid for 6 months (expiring Dec 2018) - issued on arrival at the airport - UK citizen
Are you being sponsored for PR and has that application not been rejected yet? - - Application is still under process - AOR 4th August
Do you have a valid passport? - Yes, valid for another 7 years