+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July draw predictions

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Also, a TR to PR for International graduates only helps if there are no NOC restrictions. If they only wish to target those working in healthcare, food and transportation (as they repeatedly mentioned those occupations) then it wouldn't help much to the majority of the candidates, I assume.

Reactions: klubsoda

aommnd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2022
Also, a TR to PR for International graduates only helps if there are no NOC restrictions. If they only wish to target those working in healthcare, food and transportation (as they repeatedly mentioned those occupations) then it wouldn't help much to the majority of the candidates, I assume.
Can we get an LMIA for an existing job? I'm wondering if its worth begging my employer for. The 50 points is a huge jump

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Can we get an LMIA for an existing job? I'm wondering if its worth begging my employer for. The 50 points is a huge jump
I think it depends on your work permit. I think it's not possible for people on PGWP. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=698&top=29
It's possible. I've also considered this but I kind of don't want to bother my company and add complication to my application but I will do it if I have to
I am not sure I understand that page. It says:

"If you are invited under the Canadian Experience Class, you don’t need an LMIA to meet the program requirements.

But, a valid job offer supported by an LMIA can get you more points under the Comprehensive Ranking System. This can improve your chances of being invited to apply. So in that case, your employer may want to get an LMIA, even though you don’t need it to be eligible."

Does it mean that CEC candidates can be LMIA exempt, but they won't get enough points? Or no points as all?

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......

"If you are invited under the Canadian Experience Class, you don’t need an LMIA to meet the program requirements.

But, a valid job offer supported by an LMIA can get you more points under the Comprehensive Ranking System. This can improve your chances of being invited to apply. So in that case, your employer may want to get an LMIA, even though you don’t need it to be eligible."

Does it mean that CEC candidates can be LMIA exempt, but they won't get enough points? Or no points as all?
PGWP is an open work permit which means it's LMIA exempt. So CEC candidates on PGWP or other open work permits won't need an LMIA to be eligible for the program.
But to get the bonus 50 points for the job offer, you have to either 1) have a job offer that's supported by an LMIA, even though you don't need that LMIA to work in that job legally; 2) have a job that is LMIA exempt (different from a WP that's LMIA exempt, this is a list of jobs that are exempt)

Reactions: SatNight

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
Ok interesting. Well I asked anyway, seems very bleak for me otherwise.
Just to clarify i dont need to change roles or anythign right? It costs $1000 which should be pocket change for the company
No I don't think you need to change roles, usually the hurdle is if the company is willing to do it and jump through all the hoops, because they need to advertise your position and prove they couldn't find a suitable Canadian citizenn or PR to fill it

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Ok interesting. Well I asked anyway, seems very bleak for me otherwise.
Just to clarify i dont need to change roles or anythign right? It costs $1000 which should be pocket change for the company
I don't understand why you wouldn't go the PNP route? And I take it you don't have a Canadian girlfriend to sponsor you?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, if your employer is willing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Depends on what kind of work permit they hold. Being a CEC candidate is irrelevant. Same rules apply for FSW with regards to the 50 job offer point.

If they hold a closed work permit that is LMIA exempt (e.g. ICT), they need to work in Canada for a full year for their employer before they can qualify for the 50 points. The employer also needs to give them a letter stating they will continue to employ them for at least a year after they get PR.

If they hold an open work permit (e.g. PGWP, SOWP, etc.), then the employer needs to get an approved LMIA in order to qualify for the 50 job offer points.

Reactions: SatNight

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've been seeing online that most employers are reluctant for the LMIA. Why is that?
The processing time for LMIA seems to be just 24 business days and a cost of $1000 so why would they not be willing to do this?
Esp if the employers is willing to do PNP, LMIA + EE seems way better and cheaper?
It's not a 24 day process.

The employer has to start by advertising the job for a month before they can even submit the application. They must do this in order to prove that a foreign worker is required for the job and a Canadian cannot be hired (yes, they need to do this even if you are already in the role). They have to follow the LMIA advertising requirements which means advertising in three locations that are acceptable for the LMIA process. Normally this advertising costs the employer additional additional money because of where they have to advertise.

They must then submit the LMIA application, this includes evidnece the job was advertised and no Canadian candidate could be found. It's a fairly involved process and you can read the full details here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/median-wage/high/requirements.html

The 24 business day processing time can take a few months right now.

But long story short, employers don't want to go through all of the paperwork and cost of the advertising and application process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok that is interesting, few months blows; from their page I thought it was 24 days lol.
My employer does do LMIA for closed WPs (for the exact same roles as mine), but they have been reluctant for those with open WPs for obvious reasons (because open WP folks dont need it).
So theyve got the infrastructure and the things required to do an LMIA I guess its a just a matter of if they are willing to support it for PR specifically (cause its isnt a WP) and the time frame. Worth a shot asking perhaps considering they do do it for WPs
It's 100% worth asking. There are employers that simply won't go through the process. However if yours is doing it for others, then they understand the process well and this should reduce their effort / overhead for getting this done. FYI - some are still being processed in 24 days (but many are not). Of course they still also have to do the advertisement for a month before that. So 2 months minimum.

Reactions: aommnd

Takita

May 12, 2021
so it looks like 550+ is possible mostly with Ph.D or PNP. The other way around to see this thing in my opinion is that what's in it for those outland with 550+ CRS to come to Canada with reneging !rcc statements holding top most degree and qualifications. Better life can't buy outside Canada and/or still better opportunities?