Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2015
Were you hoping to get UK citizen before leaving? It is very expensive to apply for British citizenship now, I understand!
I was hoping to get UK Citizenship some years ago. I've been here since I was 18 and just went back to Bangladesh for almost 2 years in 2014 and then came back again. Such a huge and important part of my life has been spent here. On top of that, I am naturally rather loyal and also appreciate loyalty in others. So felt a bit "loyal to the crown" and wanted to go all in and get my citizenship. But due to technical problems with the immigration rules, I will not be able to apply for even PR/ILR anytime before 2025! By then it'd be my 18th year in this country. Why bother!?!? The immigration rules and policies only got worse since I landed here the first time and it doesn't feel like I am welcome at all. Not to mention, my wife is a Canadian and she has to go through immigration hassles to be here with me as I keep on waiting for that PR/ILR to be given to me someday. We reasoned that it makes more sense to go and live where at least one of us is a citizen. On top of that, it helps that Canada doesn't make you feel as unwelcome as the UK does. I think I'll be happier trying to work to make things better for a country where I am not treated bad.

FAHIMBD

Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2015
I sponsored my husband on July 10, 2019
Our case has been completed 100% on a progress bar however it also says “your case taking us longer than usual to process”
It’s been 20 days over the estimated date of completion was july 10,2020 but there’s no any updates.
AOR received on feb 28 2020.
anyone knows what to expect in this scenario?
how long they gonna take to approved tge case?
1. You should start your own thread about it and discuss it in detail there.
2. When I applied for my visit visa to Canada in 2018, they made me wait many months after all the processes has been completed. I mailed them a few times and they gave me generic responses saying I should just wait.

Uroojtayb

Jul 31, 2020
Progress bar just shows progress of a typical case to give you an idea of when you might expect your case to be completed. It isn’t actually related to your case. Really depends on your situation and whether you will need an interview. Assume you’ve done the medical and biometrics?
Yes my husband has already gave the biometric & medical in 2019 oct.
For interview ... it shows he doesn’t need interview but if it changes they’ll contact.
the thing is that our case has been exceeded 12 months now. Plus our daughter born on May 20 2020
First child and he didn’t see her yet. This is very depressing now

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes my husband has already gave the biometric & medical in 2019 oct.
For interview ... it shows he doesn’t need interview but if it changes they’ll contact.
the thing is that our case has been exceeded 12 months now. Plus our daughter born on May 20 2020
First child and he didn’t see her yet. This is very depressing now
Depending on where you are from over 12 months is actually typical. Given covid 12 months are to be expected. Unfortunately 12 months processing times and pregnancy don’t guarantee that a spouse will be able to come to Canada earlier so getting pregnant without your partner having PR is always a risk. All you can really do is wait. If you got AOR in February it is strange that he got biometric and medical request before the AOR.

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
I was hoping to get UK Citizenship some years ago. I've been here since I was 18 and just went back to Bangladesh for almost 2 years in 2014 and then came back again. Such a huge and important part of my life has been spent here. On top of that, I am naturally rather loyal and also appreciate loyalty in others. So felt a bit "loyal to the crown" and wanted to go all in and get my citizenship. But due to technical problems with the immigration rules, I will not be able to apply for even PR/ILR anytime before 2025! By then it'd be my 18th year in this country. Why bother!?!? The immigration rules and policies only got worse since I landed here the first time and it doesn't feel like I am welcome at all. Not to mention, my wife is a Canadian and she has to go through immigration hassles to be here with me as I keep on waiting for that PR/ILR to be given to me someday. We reasoned that it makes more sense to go and live where at least one of us is a citizen. On top of that, it helps that Canada doesn't make you feel as unwelcome as the UK does. I think I'll be happier trying to work to make things better for a country where I am not treated bad.
I understand about the change in sentiment here towards immigrants in the UK. It didn't always seem that way. The landscape has changed in the last five years. Sigh.

If you are loyal to 'the crown', you can show it by becoming Canadian. I don't know if you still have to swear allegiance to the Queen, like a British girlfriend had to do in 1987 in Canada, which she was bemused by! I had to do the same in the UK - was one of the first to attend a ceremony, which they didn't do, prior to 2004.

In my experience, urban areas seem to be a better fit for immigrants in Canada. I have been away so long, I think I will feel like an immigrant in my own country.

Uroojtayb

Jul 31, 2020
Depending on where you are from over 12 months is actually typical. Given covid 12 months are to be expected. Unfortunately 12 months processing times and pregnancy don’t guarantee that a spouse will be able to come to Canada earlier so getting pregnant without your partner having PR is always a risk. All you can really do is wait. If you got AOR in February it is strange that he got biometric and medical request before the AOR.
Yes, it is surprising for us too. He had medical & biometric earlier in Oct 2019. So we were happy that we might hear the news earlier but then on Feb 28 we received AOR. Afterwards no updates at all. I emailed them regarding progress bar shows 100% and that we exceeded 12 months now so they said due to COVID19 we our short staff And we will try to complete our cases ASAP. And also referred me to contact directly to London visa office. So i hope i can hear some good news.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If you are loyal to 'the crown', you can show it by becoming Canadian. I don't know if you still have to swear allegiance to the Queen, like a British girlfriend had to do in 1987 in Canada, which she was bemused by! I had to do the same in the UK - was one of the first to attend a ceremony, which they didn't do, prior to 2004.
Indeed the oath is still to the Queen, but a different Queen (who just happens to be the same person), and the Crown is a different crown as well. But that's a level of constitutional art and geekery that applicants are not tested on (as far as I know).

The oath (note Queen of Canada) :

I swear (or affirm)
That I will be faithful
And bear true allegiance
To Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second
Queen of Canada
Her Heirs and Successors
And that I will faithfully observe
The laws of Canada
And fulfil my duties
As a Canadian citizen.

Je jure (ou j'affirme solennellement)
Que je serai fidèle
Et porterai sincère allégeance
À Sa Majesté la reine Elizabeth Deux
Reine du Canada
À ses héritiers et à ses successeurs
Que j'observerai fidèlement les lois du Canada
Et que je remplirai loyalement
Mes obligations de citoyen canadien

FAHIMBD

Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2015
I understand that Canada is part of the Commonwealth for historical reasons and is in many ways under the crown. But I want to be loyal to her for her own sake, not for the British crown. The crown can expect the same quality of loyalty from me that it has shown toward me. It helps that the UK doesn't really have any REAL control over Canada.

I wasn't aware that they make you pledge allegiance to the Queen! Haha! You pledged allegiance to the Queen? I wonder what that means in practical terms in the real world.

In my experience, urban areas seem to be a better fit for immigrants in Canada. I have been away so long, I think I will feel like an immigrant in my own country.
Our plan is to first go to Ontario and live with my wife's family as we secure our jobs there. The problem is that I want to apply for jobs all across Canada and pick the best offer but also want to stay close enough to my wife's family. Don't know how that will work for anything outside of ON.

I don't know how long you've been out of Canada for but given how fast the world has been moving the last few decades, things should indeed feel rather different.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I understand that Canada is part of the Commonwealth for historical reasons and is in many ways under the crown. But I want to be loyal to her for her own sake, not for the British crown. The crown can expect the same quality of loyalty from me that it has shown toward me.
Separate crown, so no conflict there.

Reactions: FAHIMBD

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
I understand that Canada is part of the Commonwealth for historical reasons and is in many ways under the crown. But I want to be loyal to her for her own sake, not for the British crown. The crown can expect the same quality of loyalty from me that it has shown toward me. It helps that the UK doesn't really have any REAL control over Canada.

I wasn't aware that they make you pledge allegiance to the Queen! Haha! You pledged allegiance to the Queen? I wonder what that means in practical terms in the real world.
For me, it has no meaning, practical or otherwise, as she is already the Queen of Canada. The only technical thing, which has nothing to do with allegiance, is that I was born a British Subject, lost that status and regained it.

Yes, thank goodness, we have our sovereignty.

Our plan is to first go to Ontario and live with my wife's family as we secure our jobs there. The problem is that I want to apply for jobs all across Canada and pick the best offer but also want to stay close enough to my wife's family. Don't know how that will work for anything outside of ON.

I don't know how long you've been out of Canada for but given how fast the world has been moving the last few decades, things should indeed feel rather different.
Have you been to Canada at all? The geography, in and of itself, means in practical terms (and also in part, due to the federalist system) that each province and territory often functions and feels like its' own country. ON is about 15 million people, for example, whereas BC is only 5 million people. Of course, urban areas are more expensive. Housing is completely insane in Vancouver and Toronto and I would say compares to, or may be worse, in the case of Vancouver, than London (UK). If your wife's family is in Ontario, you may consider staying there, as travel is difficult and costly even pre-COVID. This is one of my issues that I am keeping an eye on. Our primary sights are on Ontario, but the majority of my ties are in BC. COVID may change our views. We shall see.

www.glassdoor.ca might give you an idea of the job situation wherever and in whatever you are looking.

Every time I go back, I feel like as if I am functioning in the 1990s. I forget how to use the phone even, because the system has changed!

FAHIMBD

Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2015
For me, it has no meaning, practical or otherwise, as she is already the Queen of Canada. The only technical thing, which has nothing to do with allegiance, is that I was born a British Subject, lost that status and regained it.

Yes, thank goodness, we have our sovereignty.
In all honesty, it'd serve me and my life much better if the king of America was the one looking for my allegiance, not the Queen of England.

Have you been to Canada at all? The geography, in and of itself, means in practical terms (and also in part, due to the federalist system) that each province and territory often functions and feels like its' own country. ON is about 15 million people, for example, whereas BC is only 5 million people. Of course, urban areas are more expensive. Housing is completely insane in Vancouver and Toronto and I would say compares to, or may be worse, in the case of Vancouver, than London (UK). If your wife's family is in Ontario, you may consider staying there, as travel is difficult and costly even pre-COVID. This is one of my issues that I am keeping an eye on. Our primary sights are on Ontario, but the majority of my ties are in BC. COVID may change our views. We shall see.

www.glassdoor.ca might give you an idea of the job situation wherever and in whatever you are looking.

Every time I go back, I feel like as if I am functioning in the 1990s. I forget how to use the phone even, because the system has changed!
Yes. I've been to Canada once for Christmas/New Year 2018/2019. The place felt way bigger than it should have been. Everything is needlessly spread-out to the nth-degree. I cannot imagine surviving there without having a car and driving great distances for trivial reasons.

My plan was to first get a job I like and then manipulate her entire social circle there to move along with us. Believe it or not, I have been priming them for a while now. LMAO! The thing is, my work will be a huge chunk of my life. I do not want to work just to pay the bills. If it came to that, I'd pick being around family over work. But I am hoping that I will get the kind of work in the industry I want to be working in. My wife and I have discussed this a lot. I told her to prepare for building our own community wherever we go. She is intimidated by the whole idea but having lived an immigrants life for so long, I frankly don't fear that at all. By the way, I am a bit confused. Can you please tell me more about your situation. I want a good mental picture.

Thanks for the link. I have been using multiple websites to look at relevant jobs. It'd be better if I end up finding one outside of French Canada as I still can't speak or understand French beyond a 2 year old's level. As for housing, I hope the salaries factor in the accommodation costs of employees.

Are you guys fine with the ticket costs? Every time we look up tickets, they seem massively overpriced and often don't even offer any decent luggage allowances.

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
In all honesty, it'd serve me and my life much better if the king of America was the one looking for my allegiance, not the Queen of England.
Well, if you become Canadian and if you are saying you'd rather be in the US, depending on what you do and what your qualifications / education is, you might be eligible for a TN Visa (NAFTA) visa. It's much more restrictive, than say, EU citizen rights, but you can work if you qualify. Partners / spouses who are Canadian / Mexican may qualify in their own right to work, under the limited professional list or they may be able to study. It does not confer permanent residency nor is it a track to citizenship.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/employment/visas-canadian-mexican-nafta-professional-workers.html

Yes. I've been to Canada once for Christmas/New Year 2018/2019. The place felt way bigger than it should have been. Everything is needlessly spread-out to the nth-degree. I cannot imagine surviving there without having a car and driving great distances for trivial reasons.

My plan was to first get a job I like and then manipulate her entire social circle there to move along with us. Believe it or not, I have been priming them for a while now. LMAO! The thing is, my work will be a huge chunk of my life. I do not want to work just to pay the bills. If it came to that, I'd pick being around family over work. But I am hoping that I will get the kind of work in the industry I want to be working in. My wife and I have discussed this a lot. I told her to prepare for building our own community wherever we go. She is intimidated by the whole idea but having lived an immigrants life for so long, I frankly don't fear that at all. By the way, I am a bit confused. Can you please tell me more about your situation. I want a good mental picture.

Thanks for the link. I have been using multiple websites to look at relevant jobs. It'd be better if I end up finding one outside of French Canada as I still can't speak or understand French beyond a 2 year old's level. As for housing, I hope the salaries factor in the accommodation costs of employees.

Are you guys fine with the ticket costs? Every time we look up tickets, they seem massively overpriced and often don't even offer any decent luggage allowances.
Unless you are completely bilingual, it is very unlikely you will get a job in Quebec, even in Montreal. Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver have larger Pakistani Canadian communities. You might find you like where your wife lives, you never know. It sounds like she has not had international experiences like you and the thought of starting in a new place is unsettling.

I've been told the salaries are slightly lower in Vancouver, but housing is equal to or more costly than Toronto - this is word of mouth from people I know across Canada, in a variety of locations and professions.

I haven't looked at costs of flights within Canada for a while , nor to / from UK too much, though looking recently to / from UK, due to the pandemic, I noticed flights were much more costly and that's my concern regarding inter-province travel (that's how most Canadians get between the large cities: they fly). I'm concerned about being too far from family, if family needs us, especially if there are COVID travel restrictions. At the moment, BC, YK and NWT are in a 'bubble': who knows how that might work out. Nearer my family, though, means much farther away from my spouse's family.

I just came to the UK on a working holiday visa after university and got married, so didn't leave Europe - moved around, before coming back to the UK: life just went in a different direction, as I thought I'd be gone a couple of years and now it's been over twenty. Spouse had been in Canadian on a working holiday visa before I came to the UK, so we met by accident. We always said we would go back to Canada and I am ready now. Well, ready to wait, it would seem.

FAHIMBD

Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2015
Well, if you become Canadian and if you are saying you'd rather be in the US, depending on what you do and what your qualifications / education is, you might be eligible for a TN Visa (NAFTA) visa. It's much more restrictive, than say, EU citizen rights, but you can work if you qualify. Partners / spouses who are Canadian / Mexican may qualify in their own right to work, under the limited professional list or they may be able to study. It does not confer permanent residency nor is it a track to citizenship.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/employment/visas-canadian-mexican-nafta-professional-workers.html
There has been a miscommunication. I didn't mean to imply that I'd rather be an American. What I was suggesting is that I'd rather have a deeper link/connection with the US than the UK as a Canadian. Freedom of movement, technology exchange, trade, etc. in all that, I'd rather unite with the US than the UK. That's what I was trying to say. Not that I'd pick the US over Canada.

Unless you are completely bilingual, it is very unlikely you will get a job in Quebec, even in Montreal. Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver have larger Pakistani Canadian communities. You might find you like where your wife lives, you never know. It sounds like she has not had international experiences like you and the thought of starting in a new place is unsettling.
That's very sad. I actually attempted learning French but found it rather tedious and couldn't stick to it because of how functionally useless the language is for me. Even when I talk to my French friends/acquaintances, they prefer exercising their English skills instead of speaking French. It is ridiculous that the language barrier I will end up facing in many parts of Canada is due to not knowing French.

I've lived a nomadic life for a long time outside of Bangladesh. As such, I am always okay with being uprooted and planning a new life. So yeah! I suppose you are correct that it's meant to be more intimidating for my wife.

I've been told the salaries are slightly lower in Vancouver, but housing is equal to or more costly than Toronto - this is word of mouth from people I know across Canada, in a variety of locations and professions.
In that case would it not be a bad idea to live there (Vancouver)? The list time I checked the housing market in Toronto, I kinda lost all hope of ever living there :p It seemed as expensive as London. Whatever the case, I always find housing costs to be stupidly high relative to the average income.

I haven't looked at costs of flights within Canada for a while , nor to / from UK too much, though looking recently to / from UK, due to the pandemic, I noticed flights were much more costly and that's my concern regarding inter-province travel (that's how most Canadians get between the large cities: they fly). I'm concerned about being too far from family, if family needs us, especially if there are COVID travel restrictions. At the moment, BC, YK and NWT are in a 'bubble': who knows how that might work out. Nearer my family, though, means much farther away from my spouse's family.
Maybe you guys should find a place that's in between both of your families. OR! Depending on how frequently you guys will actually visit them, you can alter that balance from 50-50 to something else. I hope this covid issue gets resolve by the time we have to fly to Canada. This thing threw a major wrench in the whole world's plans.

I just came to the UK on a working holiday visa after university and got married, so didn't leave Europe - moved around, before coming back to the UK: life just went in a different direction, as I thought I'd be gone a couple of years and now it's been over twenty. Spouse had been in Canadian on a working holiday visa before I came to the UK, so we met by accident. We always said we would go back to Canada and I am ready now. Well, ready to wait, it would seem.
Well! I wish you guys all the best with that. It's good that you are finally ready to go back home. Just horrible timing :p Even a year ago would have worked out flawlessly.

FAHIMBD

Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2015
Finally some update from Canada Post:

Delivery progress
Information updated: Aug. 18
DateTimeProgress
Aug. 1712:43 pmDelivered
Sydney, NS

9:15 amOut for delivery
Sydney, NS
Additional information
Delivery pending
7:55 amItem processed
Sydney, NS
Additional information
The item has arrived at the destination facility for final sorting before delivery. Look for an "Out for Delivery" scan today or tomorrow to know when delivery will occur. You can also sign up for email notifications.

@LotusLeodis Will this information help with the spreadsheet?