AOR: Dec 17, 2020
Citizenship test completed: Nov 16, 2021
Decision Made: Feb 1, 2022
Oath date: March16, 2022

Reactions: igg

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Hi everyone.

I would like to know your thoughts on my situation.
I've also been waiting over 5 months after my citizenship test status was set to completed on October 7th (2021).
I was traveling in October when I received the test invitation, so I let the officer know and wrote the test remotely.
In February, the immigration office asked me when I left Canada before taking the test, and when I'm coming back and supporting documents to prove that I am back. I have been traveling again and I provided the information requested.
They then asked when I intend to be back. I informed them of my intended return date. However, my circumstances have changed and I have accepted a position abroad. I updated my address using the web form and have replied to the officer's original email.

I have not heard back since. Has this happened to anyone else? Why do you think they were asking for my intended return date?

My timeline:
Application sent: July 24th, 2020
Application received: July 28th, 2020
Processing started: February 1st, 2021
Background verification complete: August 31st, 2021
Citizenship Completed: October 7th, 2021
Is the job you have accepted with the federal or provincial governments? You will have to be in Canada for interview or oath ceremony unless you work for the Crown that requires you to be outside Canada or there is humanitarian reason that you can’t be in Canada. If you have taken a job outside Canada and you can’t be in Canada, your application could be canceled or refused. Better come to Canada when you have interview or oath if you really want the citizenship. And make sure your address is Canadian one. Certificates will not be mailed outside Canada.

You might be inviting problems for yourself, especially since so many people here have not been lucky like you to even receive correspondence from citizenship officers.

pg27

Jan 31, 2016
Citizenship oath 17 feb.
No certificate yet.
Niagara office.

anybody in the same boat?
Hi,

You should receive in this week shortly.
If not, then contact office.

My oath was on Feb 24, and received certificate today. My office is London, but oath was scheduled from Niagara and Niagara office sent me certificate.

Wish you all the best!

toniomali

Jan 8, 2018
Is the job you have accepted with the federal or provincial governments? You will have to be in Canada for interview or oath ceremony unless you work for the Crown that requires you to be outside Canada or there is humanitarian reason that you can’t be in Canada. If you have taken a job outside Canada and you can’t be in Canada, your application could be canceled or refused. Better come to Canada when you have interview or oath if you really want the citizenship. And make sure your address is Canadian one. Certificates will not be mailed outside Canada.

You might be inviting problems for yourself, especially since so many people here have not been lucky like you to even receive correspondence from citizenship officers.
Thanks for your response.
I am able and more than happy to be in Canada for the oath ceremony. I DONT wish to take the oath abroad.

Why do you think I may be inviting problems?

Last edited:

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for your response.
I am able and more than happy to be in Canada for the oath ceremony. I DONT wish to take the oath abroad.

Why do you think I may be inviting problems?
So then when they schedule you for test or interview or oath, just fly back and take. Afterwards you can go back. Normally, you will have update on the tracker before they email you. Keep checking so you will have enough time to plan your trip. Make sure your address is Canadian.

The problem will come from if they perceive that you are no longer interested in the citizenship: that’s telling them you are no longer in Canada, working outside and postponing test/oath several times.

toniomali

Jan 8, 2018
So then when they schedule you for test or interview or oath, just fly back and take. Afterwards you can go back. Normally, you will have update on the tracker before they email you. Keep checking so you will have enough time to plan your trip. Make sure your address is Canadian.

The problem will come from if they perceive that you are no longer interested in the citizenship: that’s telling them you are no longer in Canada, working outside and postponing test/oath several times.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experience. I'm sorry I think my original message was not very clear. I have taken the citizenship test and I have never rescheduled nor requested for any appointment to be rescheduled. Like many of us, I also check my application's status every day.

The most recent correspondence with IRRC (and my original question) was one sided -- they asked some questions and did not respond to my inquiries.

I'm not sure about your comment "Make sure your address is Canadian." IRCC's says (see here) that you MUST update your address when you move, otherwise "Your application could be refused or abandoned."

Thanks again and I appreciate anyone's comments if they have had a similar situation to mine.

Radium

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 28. 2015
Med's Done....
August 18, 2014
Calgary Applicant here.
Got oath ceremony update this morning (March 16) for Monday, April 11th.
It took about 4 months after writing my test(Nov 22)
Decision made Feb 9 (on old ecas tracker)
Finally, light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck vibes to everyone waiting on their oath.

Last edited:
Reactions: igg and Impresso

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Hey all, my citizenship oath ceremony is now 1 week away and have not received any information by mail or e-mail about it. I'm through Vancouver VO, my friend who had her ceremony a couple weeks ago (same VO) got her ceremony invite email/info 2 weeks in advance?

Nothing in spam, of course. Any ideas? Submitted a web form. Tried calling CIC but their phone lines just say they are too busy and hang up, lol.

Impresso

Champion Member
Jun 16, 2014
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hey all, my citizenship oath ceremony is now 1 week away and have not received any information by mail or e-mail about it. I'm through Vancouver VO, my friend who had her ceremony a couple weeks ago (same VO) got her ceremony invite email/info 2 weeks in advance?

Nothing in spam, of course. Any ideas? Submitted a web form. Tried calling CIC but their phone lines just say they are too busy and hang up, lol.
Yeh you have to try emailing the office or try getting a hold of them , if you dont have anything 72 hours prior to your ceremony

Reactions: Amalthea

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Yeh you have to try emailing the office or try getting a hold of them , if you dont have anything 72 hours prior to your ceremony
Do you have more information about that? Where does the 72 hours come from, and where is this contact information for the Vancouver VO available? Thanks for your time!