JULY 2019 *Inland* Spousal Sponsorship

Codstop

Aug 20, 2019
Timeline Upate!

Application sent/received: July 25
AOR issued: Aug 29
OWP linked: Sep 20
OWP approved: Oct 9

I got an email today, informing me that my application (W*********) was updated. I logged in, and it informed that a decision was made and that my OWP was approved.

I spent all day trying to figure out a recent GST credit payment CRA wants from me. It turns out that I was a resident of Canada since 2015 because I went to high school here and have been living here since. Unfortunately, when I filed for 2017 and 2018 I did not realize this. Because I was on a temporary status, I thought that I was a non-resident. Even though I have significant ties in Canada and virtually none back in my home country. I am writing a letter to CRA informing them of my residential status in Canada as of 2015. Resident.

All the terms (permanent resident, resident, non-resident) are way too confusing for me. Took me years to realize that resident does not equal what we call permanent resident. They basically just call it whatever you want. All kinds of different status.

Reactions: Ver94

Katt

Feb 10, 2019
What to do next after receiving OWP by mail? Is there something to register or to do as confirmation or activation before you use it to apply for job? Thank you.

Ver94

Aug 17, 2019
What to do next after receiving OWP by mail? Is there something to register or to do as confirmation or activation before you use it to apply for job? Thank you.
No, just go to Service Ontario and get your sin number.

Donna2019

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
Go to Service Canada and apply for SIN number and you are good to go from there.

K1w1

Star Member
Jul 16, 2019
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-07-2019
AOR Received.
22-08-2019
LANDED..........
04-02-2020
Hi all,

Just another (not so important) update. Today my OWP arrived in the mail and I went straight to Service Canada to get my SIN. They just reinstated my one from a few years ago when I was living/working here on an IEC Visa, so that was easy. I also swapped my overseas drivers licence for a B.C. one which will arrive in the mail sometime soon. Now, time to get job hunting!

For those who are still waiting for your OWP, I hope it comes soon! I have my fingers crossed for you.

K1w1

Star Member
Jul 16, 2019
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-07-2019
AOR Received.
22-08-2019
LANDED..........
04-02-2020
Thank you. Service Canada? Is that also online? How long is the process before getting SIN number?
You have to go in person. You'll get a SIN on the spot provided you have enough ID.

Janice Bond

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
AOR Received.
12-July-2019
Since my previous status was study permit with a limited work permit, i already had a sin number. Will it be the same one? Or do i still need to go to service ontario and get a new sin?

Yes it will be the same number with the same validity of your OWP. Congrats:)

opaque

Sep 29, 2016
Hi all,

Just another (not so important) update. Today my OWP arrived in the mail and I went straight to Service Canada to get my SIN. They just reinstated my one from a few years ago when I was living/working here on an IEC Visa, so that was easy. I also swapped my overseas drivers licence for a B.C. one which will arrive in the mail sometime soon. Now, time to get job hunting!

For those who are still waiting for your OWP, I hope it comes soon! I have my fingers crossed for you.

I am happy for you. :)

Reactions: K1w1