+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

july 2018, Citizen Application.

abuliman

Feb 16, 2019
Hello Everyone!

I just gave my written citizenship test today (February 16, 2019) and wanted to add my 2 cents for the benefit of this forum.

I was sent a notice for the test via e-mail on January 23rd. My test location was at 200, Town Centre Court Scarborough, ON M1P 4X8 at 11:45 AM.

If you're using the TTC to reach the test center, get off at Scarborough Centre station and once you exit the station you will see the gates to the STC mall on one side and on the other side is the test center.
There is a Govt of Canada signboard on the outside of the building. It is subtle and can be missed. Unfortunately, that one sign is the only indication of the Government building, so please look for it.
Once you find yourself in front of the building entrance you'll see 2 revolving doors, that's how you'll know you're at the right spot.
I don't drive so I don't know how to get there by car.

I reached the building by 11:40 AM. I happen to work nearby and a couple of days before my test, I went in to inquire how long would it take for the whole testing and interview to take place, the clerk at the counter told me that it would approximately take 2 hrs in total and strictly advised me not to come in more than 15 mins early to the test site.
*Please note, I went in during lunch time and it comfortably took me 3 or more minutes just to get on an elevator as this is an office building with a lot of traffic during the office hours.

If you are writing your test soon, I'd advise you not to cut it too close to the appointment time as I did. Please allow yourself to reach 15 mins early as they will have you fill out a declaration form before you enter the test room.

Once I filled out my form, the clerk in the building lobby guided me to the test room on the 3rd floor where a clerk asked me to show my declaration form and then let me in.

Once we all sat down in our chairs, we were asked to keep our notice to write the test in front of us along with a piece of ID.

Before the test begins they give you clear instructions on how to answer your questions on the answer sheet. The answer sheet provided is a scantron card. Pencils are provided if you forget to bring your own. Please don't use a pen to fill in the bubbles in your scantron card. Their machines can only read a pencil.

The test like all of you know is multiple choice with 20 questions in it. I found my test to be on a moderate level of difficulty.

I used http://www.citizenshipcounts.ca/quiz along with the study guide to prepare for the test and a few questions came straight from the online quiz.

There are at least 3 questions that are a bit difficult. When studying for the test, keep a note of the names of all the important people and the dates.
8 Questions were pretty straight forward and they didn't require me to study for them.
There were 2 True-False questions, 2 pick the correct answer, 2 pick the wrong answer and 3 fill in the blanks.

Once I was done with the test, I was guided into another room where I sat and waited for my name to be called out. There were 5 Citizenship officers on duty on a Saturday and approximately 30 of us who were giving the test.
The officers were moving at a decent pace and before I was called in no applicant was interviewed for more than 10 mins.

My interview with the Citizenship officer was less than 5 minutes.
She just asked me for my passports and 2 pieces of ID.

The officer pointed out a small mistake in my application and she corrected it herself.
She asked me where I traveled when I was out of the country and asked where I go to school.
No passport stamps, any physical absences from Canada or work history was questioned by the officer however, there was this one officer who was asking everyone he was dealing with about their work history and physical absences. So please be prepared to answer any sort of question.
The officer then congratulated me on passing the test (18/20) and informed me that since my application was received July 2018, my oath ceremony will be before July 2019 to honor the 12-month citizenship processing time.
The officer also told me that I will receive my oath invite via e-mail as they are trying to do paperless invites due to the large number of applications they have received.

Overall it took me 45~minutes for the whole process from start to finish.
Please note my test date was on a Saturday so the building had no traffic whatsoever. If you are going in on a weekday, I'd suggest you reach at least 20 mins prior to your test.

Thanks for reading and I hope this information helped you in some way. Don't be nervous about the test, you will do just fine if you read the study guide and do some practice quizzes. For the interview, smile and answer straight to the point.

Best of luck to all!

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
This getting ridiculous I may be the last one on July sheet from Calgary who did not receive the invitation although my DM was before Xmas and one month before some of who are getting it, I need the passport for many reasons.Honestly if I did not receive it in two month I will see if I can file a formal complaint
First of all I believe you will be invited soon. It won't take another 2 months I guess. In addition I don't think so it would be good idea to file a complaint against IRCC. They have right do do anything. They might will delay your application further. Probably they are doing more security check that's why taking longer. There are many people who has no urgency for passport on the other hand lot of cases has emergency to leave but IRCC don't care trust me. I don't know how urgent in your case but relax and sit tight to get invitation.

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
First of all I believe you will be invited soon. It won't take another 2 months I guess. In addition I don't think so it would be good idea to file a complaint against IRCC. They have right do do anything. They might will delay your application further. Probably they are doing more security check that's why taking longer. There are many people who has no urgency for passport on the other hand lot of cases has emergency to leave but IRCC don't care trust me. I don't know how urgent in your case but relax and sit tight to get invitation.
I think MMCanada2014 already received an invite for oath.
MMCanada2014Hero Member

#1810Friday at 5:43 PM
Hi,

Finally got my oath invitation for Apr-4 in Calgary:

App Delivered: Jul-12
AOR: Sep-12
IP: Sep-27
Test Invitation Letter: Dec-5
Test Date: Dec-17
DM: Dec-20
Oath Invitation Letter: Feb-15
Oath: Apr-4

Good Luck for all the people who are waiting,I know how much it can be frustrating

turbineflyer

Apr 22, 2016
I think MMCanada2014 already received an invite for oath.
MMCanada2014Hero Member

#1810Friday at 5:43 PM
Hi,

Finally got my oath invitation for Apr-4 in Calgary:

App Delivered: Jul-12
AOR: Sep-12
IP: Sep-27
Test Invitation Letter: Dec-5
Test Date: Dec-17
DM: Dec-20
Oath Invitation Letter: Feb-15
Oath: Apr-4

Good Luck for all the people who are waiting,I know how much it can be frustrating

I think some people forget the naturalized Canadian citizenship is a privilege, not a right. We have to treat the process with due respect. Some people think they deserve everything because they are just a little bit better than everyone else, such a terrible attitude to have. I hope they did a thorough security check on you MMCanada.
Rant over.

Any Calgary applicants have an idea of how many guests we can take to the oath ceremony?

Reactions: bpayne788

justbo

Jan 4, 2015
Hello Everyone!

I just gave my written citizenship test today (February 16, 2019) and wanted to add my 2 cents for the benefit of this forum.

I was sent a notice for the test via e-mail on January 23rd. My test location was at 200, Town Centre Court Scarborough, ON M1P 4X8 at 11:45 AM.

If you're using the TTC to reach the test center, get off at Scarborough Centre station and once you exit the station you will see the gates to the STC mall on one side and on the other side is the test center.
There is a Govt of Canada signboard on the outside of the building. It is subtle and can be missed. Unfortunately, that one sign is the only indication of the Government building, so please look for it.
Once you find yourself in front of the building entrance you'll see 2 revolving doors, that's how you'll know you're at the right spot.

I reached the building by 11:40 AM. I happen to work nearby and a couple of days before my test, I went in to inquire how long would it take for the whole testing and interview to take place, the clerk at the counter told me that it would approximately take 2 hrs in total and strictly advised me not to come in more than 15 mins early to the test site.
*Please note, I went in during lunch time and it comfortably took me 3 or more minutes just to get on an elevator as this is an office building with a lot of traffic during the office hours.

If you are writing your test soon, I'd advise you not to cut it too close to the appointment time as I did. Please allow yourself to reach 15 mins early as they will have you fill out a declaration form before you enter the test room.

Once I filled out my form, the clerk in the building lobby guided me to the test room on the 3rd floor where a clerk asked me to show my declaration form and then let me in.

Once we all sat down in our chairs, we were asked to keep our notice to write the test in front of us along with a piece of ID.

Before the test begins they give you clear instructions on how to answer your questions on the answer sheet. The answer sheet provided is a scantron card. Pencils are provided if you forget to bring your own. Please don't use a pen to fill in the bubbles in your scantron card. Their machines can only read a pencil.

The test like all of you know is multiple choice with 20 questions in it. I found my test to be on a moderate level of difficulty.

I used http://www.citizenshipcounts.ca/quiz along with the study guide to prepare for the test and a few questions came straight from the online quiz.

There are at least 3 questions that are a bit difficult. When studying for the test, keep a note of the names of all the important people and the dates.
8 Questions were pretty straight forward and they didn't require me to study for them.
There were 2 True-False questions, 2 pick the correct answer, 2 pick the wrong answer and 3 fill in the blanks.

Once I was done with the test, I was guided into another room where I sat and waited for my name to be called out. There were 5 Citizenship officers on duty on a Saturday and approximately 30 of us who were giving the test.
The officers were moving at a decent pace and before I was called in no applicant was interviewed for more than 10 mins.

The officer pointed out a small mistake in my application and she corrected it herself.
She asked me where I traveled when I was out of the country and asked where I go to school.
No passport stamps, any physical absences from Canada or work history was questioned by the officer however, there was this one officer who was asking everyone he was dealing with about their work history and physical absences. So please be prepared to answer any sort of question.
The officer then congratulated me on passing the test (18/20) and informed me that since my application was received July 2018, my oath ceremony will be before July 2019 to honor the 12-month citizenship processing time.
The officer also told me that I will receive my oath invite via e-mail as they are trying to do paperless invites due to the large number of applications they have received.

Please note my test date was on a Saturday so the building had no traffic whatsoever. If you are going in on a weekday, I'd suggest you reach at least 20 mins prior to your test.

Thanks for reading and I hope this information helped you in some way. Don't be nervous about the test, you will do just fine if you read the study guide and do some practice quizzes. For the interview, smile and answer straight to the point.

Best of luck to all!
Thank you for the detailed info! May I ask if you got your online status changed when you received the testing invitation email? Did the online status mention they sent you a testing invit email?

abuliman

Feb 16, 2019
Thank you for the detailed info! May I ask if you got your online status changed when you received the testing invitation email? Did the online status mention they sent you a testing invit email?
I believe the online status updated 2-3 business days after I received the notice in my e-mail and the online status update did mention that they sent me a notice.

justbo

Jan 4, 2015
I believe the online status updated 2-3 business days after I received the notice in my e-mail and the online status update did mention that they sent me a notice.
Thank you abuliman! I'm still waiting for my test invitation. Want to make sure that I didn't miss the email.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there any "marital status" field in the adult citizenship application form (July 2018)? Just making sure I did not mistakenly choose single, since I got married just before submission.

I don't see this field.

Last edited:

Hana Diabas

Aug 26, 2016
Any one else but me who didn’t receive an invitation for the test yet ?!
Got my AOR in July and complete silence since then!!
Seriously?!
It is irritating I have to say !

ksa0510

Champion Member
Feb 11, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
Nomination.....
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-11-2014
IELTS Request
03-07-2014
File Transfer...
09-07-2014
Med's Request
18-05-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015
LANDED..........
21-07-2015
Seriously?!
Call IRCC to ask for an update.
Good luck

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
Hello Everyone!

Best of luck to all!
Hi abuliman congrats and updated. Thanks for sharing your experience and also for your advice. Best of luck.

Reactions: abuliman

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
Seriously?!
Which processing area you applied from. It depend socially GTA and around GTA slowest processing area, even though some lucky applicants are receiving test invite from those area though.

Hana Diabas

Aug 26, 2016
Which processing area you applied from. It depend socially GTA and around GTA slowest processing area, even though some lucky applicants are receiving test invite from those area though.
Applying from Mississagua! But I have a cousin with criminal record who applied a month after I sent my application and surprisingly he got a date for the test !
Like why what when how ???
He also lives in mississagua so I’m kinda mad !!