+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2018 AOR - join here

kinimd

Nov 25, 2018
"Canadian work experience" matters a lot here. Professionals in all sectors, even with 10+ years' experience, start at the bottom with Canadian experience. You must then work yourself back up to where you want to be.

danijes

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
Canadian experience or you should be canadian educated. It will be easy , it will be more easy if you have a degree from uoft Waterloo or ubc

guster325

Star Member
Sep 16, 2018
I have absolutely no canadian experience. But to be honest, I do not care if I have to start over my professional career in a entry-level position.

I am dealing with this migration as a 'restart' in my life, almost from scratch. All I will have there are my wife, my own life experiences, and a not-so-handful amount of money.

So yeah... I will try to find a good job before I move to make things easier, but I am mentally prepared (at least I think) to face the most difficult period of my life, stepping out of my comfort zone, leaving everything behind, and starting anew in a unknown environment.

FernandoKvra

Star Member
Oct 28, 2018
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
I have absolutely no canadian experience. But to be honest, I do not care if I have to start over my professional career in a entry-level position.

I am dealing with this migration as a 'restart' in my life, almost from scratch. All I will have there are my wife, my own life experiences, and a not-so-handful amount of money.

So yeah... I will try to find a good job before I move to make things easier, but I am mentally prepared (at least I think) to face the most difficult period of my life, stepping out of my comfort zone, leaving everything behind, and starting anew in a unknown environment.
That’s right! You’re in the right track with your thoughts!
Where are you planning to settle in when you move?

guster325

Star Member
Sep 16, 2018
That’s right! You’re in the right track with your thoughts!
Where are you planning to settle in when you move?
Personally, I would like to move to a smaller city, but one that is not too far away from a bigger one. But I will settle anywhere that offers me a good job.

If I have to move before I find a job, I think Alberta would be my shot.

I just want to 'avoid' Toronto and Vancouver though.

steeks2009

Nov 28, 2018

Well put; I am sure plenty of others are in positions similar to yours, and this 'restart' is certain to be daunting for all of them.

That said, I would be highly skeptical of any claim that says your non-Canadian work experience is worthless. Highly developed economies rely heavily on importing skilled labor, especially in specialized professions. If a neurosurgeon with years of experience operating on patients decides to move to Canada, would they be asked to start all the way from the bottom again?

So take heart in knowing that genuine, hard-earned experience is valued and rewarded everywhere.

Reactions: Tinaaah

kinimd

Nov 25, 2018
If a neurosurgeon with years of experience operating on patients decides to move to Canada, would they be asked to start all the way from the bottom again?
Unfortunately, yes. A neurosurgeon from India, for example, would have to take equivalency exams and jump through other loops for many years before formally being able to practice here. In the medical profession, qualifications from only very few countries are recognized.

That said, when you have experience, moving up the ladder is easy once you land an entry level job.

kinimd

Nov 25, 2018
The reality of Canadian immigration is that skills are values mostly for the purpose of immigration only. There is a huge disconnect between the attitude of the government and the reality in the job market.

Expect to start at the bottom, but grow very quickly, especially if you have many years of experience.

Reactions: newfemme and tobs

steeks2009

Nov 28, 2018
The reality of Canadian immigration is that skills are values mostly for the purpose of immigration only. There is a huge disconnect between the attitude of the government and the reality in the job market.

Expect to start at the bottom, but grow very quickly, especially if you have many years of experience.
I've actually observed that in many countries, but only for non-specialized professions. I had hoped Canada would be different (US is certainly quite different in that regard, although this may be my personal anecdotal evidence).

Anyway, I hope we all find the openings we are looking for; cheers!

danijes

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
Unfortunately, yes. A neurosurgeon from India, for example, would have to take equivalency exams and jump through other loops for many years before formally being able to practice here. In the medical profession, qualifications from only very few countries are recognized.

That said, when you have experience, moving up the ladder is easy once you land an entry level job.
If you are doctor with specialized skills and if you dont have Canadian education or atleast from the sister countries such as usa or England, first you need to clear licence exam , after that you need to go university for 2 years practice, only your bachelors will be accepted , even if your are a surgeon , also your masters degree wont be considered during licence . After 3 years working as family physician and then you can apply for masters. This is the route for a doctor with non canadian degree . If you are nurse or pharmacist it's easy. Also any non clinical health care activity or health care research you can work directly but I strongly doubt they will consider doctors with non canadian education for the critical kind of research positions.

danijes

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
Look if you come to canada you will have peacefully life , I can sure 100000000 percent, again for Job you need prepare and equip yourself you will get a chance .

Tayyabak

Jul 13, 2018
If you are doctor with specialized skills and if you dont have Canadian education or atleast from the sister countries such as usa or England, first you need to clear licence exam , after that you need to go university for 2 years practice, only your bachelors will be accepted , even if your are a surgeon , also your masters degree wont be considered during licence . After 3 years working as family physician and then you can apply for masters. This is the route for a doctor with non canadian degree . If you are nurse or pharmacist it's easy. Also any non clinical health care activity or health care research you can work directly but I strongly doubt they will consider doctors with non canadian education for the critical kind of research positions.
They don't consider it either for Nurses. For getting a license they need 3 years of education through bridging in program along with training then they are consider to be qualified to start from scratch.

danijes

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
Look if you come to canada you will have peacefully life , I can sure 100000000 percent, again for Job you need prepare and equip yourself you will get a chance .
You need put effort and make people to trust you that you will deliver the work and you will not hamper anything

danijes

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
They don't consider it either for Nurses. For getting a license they need 3 years of education through bridging in program along with training then they are consider to be qualified to start from scratch.
No , you need be bachelor of science in nursing if you have that and all you need to clear just exams
3 years nursing degree

Tayyabak

Jul 13, 2018
No , you need be bachelor of science in nursing if you have that and all you need to clear just exams
3 years nursing degree
Yeah but that 3 years degree is inclusive of clinical hours, that's what bridging in program is.To be an RN for an internationally trained Nurse takes anywhere from 3 to 5 years. It depends how they evaluate your prior degrees and experience and in some cases they do completely reject it altogether and ask you to get enrolled in a Nursing program from fresh although it's rare.

Reactions: tobs