+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job reference letter notarized remotely?

bkikram

Jul 16, 2021
Hi seniors!

I have received a standard letter from my previous employer stating my job position, start and end dates, but no work hours, salary or responsibilities.
For these, I have reached out to the person who was my manager at the time, and who lives in a different country (neither of us still work at the company). They have agreed to write the letter for me. My questions are:

1) Is notarization a necessity for this letter? Since I have a minimal info letter from the employer on their letter head.
2) If yes, can I get the notarization done through a remote (online) notary services, probably located in a third country? I am doing this to lessen the burden on my ex-manager, because they live in a country where availing notary services is not easy and straightforward.

Thank you in advance!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi seniors!

I have received a standard letter from my previous employer stating my job position, start and end dates, but no work hours, salary or responsibilities.
For these, I have reached out to the person who was my manager at the time, and who lives in a different country (neither of us still work at the company). They have agreed to write the letter for me. My questions are:

1) Is notarization a necessity for this letter? Since I have a minimal info letter from the employer on their letter head.
2) If yes, can I get the notarization done through a remote (online) notary services, probably located in a third country? I am doing this to lessen the burden on my ex-manager, because they live in a country where availing notary services is not easy and straightforward.

Thank you in advance!
I haven't heard about notarization of job reference letter. The main thing is that it should be on company letter head, covers all your job responsibilities and the contact number of the manager. Why to get job reference letter notary attested??? Its usually gov docs.

bkikram

Jul 16, 2021
I haven't heard about notarization of job reference letter. The main thing is that it should be on company letter head, covers all your job responsibilities and the contact number of the manager. Why to get job reference letter notary attested??? Its usually gov docs.
I have mentioned that the manager no longer works at the company, and would therefore be unable to provide the document on the company letter head. It would be printed on white paper. This is why I am asking whether notarization would be needed.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I have mentioned that the manager no longer works at the company, and would therefore be unable to provide the document on the company letter head. It would be printed on white paper. This is why I am asking whether notarization would be needed.
Doesn't matter. No.
Technically the company needs to offer you a letter whether the manager you were working with work there or not. Your employment was with the company not the manager. This is how it works, the company has to vouch that you worked for them.

Last edited: